Biedscheid Transferring from ND

Littlebill

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Y'all aren't looking at the evidence if you think TT isn't doing his job. TT doesn't avoid recruiting stories merely because he doesn't like to do them. Sure, maybe they're not his favorite -- but do a little search on StLToday and see what TT is forced to crank out, as opposed to what Matter is forced to crank out. In the past few months, in addition to SLU, TT has done boxing, non-SLU soccer, World Series backup, contribution to year-end (non-SLU) pieces and several other topics. Matter does...Mizzou. (I'm pretty sure he even lives in Columbia -- the prior beat writer did.)

And despite all this yentzing about Mizzou bias, everybody in this thread has ignored what I pointed out a few pages back, namely, that the paper didn't even send a writer to a game against North Carolina State!

But AlumniFan pretty much summed it up. The problem isn't that the P-D "favors" one team over the other. The problem is that newspapers in general, and the P-D in particular, just keeps groping around looking for some magic bullet without ever acknowledging that its fundamental model is completely broken. The problem is that newspapers have always made, and still make, the bulk of their profits from hardcopy advertising. Yet despite the fact that the sports section has a huge amount of locally produced copy and a relatively big budget, it doesn't have any ads. (Check out today's section for illustration.)

Anyway, let's also point out that while the Post didn't send anyone to Raleigh, it did send someone to Nashville, in fact far enough in advance that he filed his preview story from there:

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/billikens-more-confident-on-the-road/article_59e55d72-9d47-5132-9f2c-c345333df2bd.html

So what you are saying is that the Post should slant all their sports coverage towards the school they perceive to be more weighted regardless of accuracy? I get your point it just seems to me the paper should strive to be balanced regardless of the weighted fan base they perceive.

No, Cheese, I'm not saying that that's what the Post should do; I'm saying that that's what I believe they do.

And despite all this yentzing about Mizzou bias, everybody in this thread has ignored what I pointed out a few pages back, namely, that the paper didn't even send a writer to a game against North Carolina State!

Anyway, let's also point out that while the Post didn't send anyone to Raleigh, it did send someone to Nashville, in fact far enough in advance that he filed his preview story from there:

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/billikens-more-confident-on-the-road/article_59e55d72-9d47-5132-9f2c-c345333df2bd.html

Mr. Bonwich, I like your contributions and have nothing against you, but your material in this thread reads like a loyal employee spinning the company line. Of course you're going to defend your employer! Your contention that the P-D didn't send Matter to Raleigh for Mizzou's hoops game against NC St. means there's no bias favoring Mizzou's relevance doesn't take into account that the Mizzou football team has a big bowl game coming up and the paper has been dedicating a lot of its resources to preview and cover that. Had the football team's season been complete, Matter doubtlessly would have been in Raleigh.

Mr. Bonwich, I like your contributions and have nothing against you, but your material in this thread reads like a loyal employee spinning the company line. Of course you're going to defend your employer! Your contention that the P-D didn't send Matter to Raleigh for Mizzou's hoops game against NC St. means there's no bias favoring Mizzou's relevance doesn't take into account that the Mizzou football team has a big bowl game coming up and the paper has been dedicating a lot of its resources to preview and cover that. Had the football team's season been complete, Matter doubtlessly would have been in Raleigh.

It isn't the fact that they didn't send Matter, they didn't send anyone. In the old days the Post would have assigned someone else from the sports department to go to the game. That doesn't happen anymore because their is no reporters left to assign the gig to.

Absurd Bills Fan, I am not criticizing anyone and certainly not you, however Bonwich with his inside connection to the PD has what I see as a valid point of view. When you are fighting for your life, as the PD is, you do not do what is correct but instead you do what you think will sell. And yes, I fully believe that people working for the paper are stretched very thin and have to do all kinds of things they do not want to do. I read sometime ago that another major paper in Chicago (the Tribune ?, not sure who it was) had laid off all of their photographers after deciding all they needed was to have reporters on the beat taking pictures with their smart phones. I think Bonwich is not in the path of kowtowing to his employer, but rather is in the path of explaining that right or wrong a business will do exactly what they think they need to do in order to survive! Again, I post this with no intention of upsetting or insulting anyone, and I am not stating that what the PD is doing is either right or wrong.

Tee hee. You haven't been paying very close attention, have you? ;)

Not sure what you're getting at, but I think your man card shall be suspended for "tee hee"! "Heh heh" is okay, but never "tee hee"! :)

Somebody want to tell him, or has no one at all on the board been paying attention? (Well, I know Roy was, but, well, so much for that doing me any good. ;) )

Somebody want to tell him, or has no one at all on the board been paying attention? (Well, I know Roy was, but, well, so much for that doing me any good. ;) )

I'm just an MBM but I believe you (like many others) have been "let go" and are no longer in the employ of the paper. If I am wrong I apologize.

I would assume he plans on visiting if he hasnt already. It's probably a good thing we haven't heard anything after his visit to Mizzou yesterday

Where did you hear he visited there? This was reported an hour ago and no mention that a visit happened - http://www.columbiatribune.com/sports/mu_basketball/former-st-louis-prep-star-biedscheid-eyes-tigers-after-leaving/article_842d9264-7057-11e3-a6b0-001a4bcf6878.html

BTW, for those who want to see a real example of "shilling" - the ending to the above article would be just that.

I think this may be a case of mid thread interruptus in which the reader begins reading mid thread and missed critical points preceding...

Where did you hear he visited there? This was reported an hour ago and no mention that a visit happened - http://www.columbiatribune.com/sports/mu_basketball/former-st-louis-prep-star-biedscheid-eyes-tigers-after-leaving/article_842d9264-7057-11e3-a6b0-001a4bcf6878.html

BTW, for those who want to see a real example of "shilling" - the ending to the above article would be just that.

I think I read that article on Sunday. Not sure why its now listed as a Monday afternoon article.

Its too bad that last paragraph didn't mention that they already have a 4 star transfer from Baylor at the same position as Cam :unsure:

I think I read that article on Sunday. Not sure why its now listed as a Monday afternoon article.

Its too bad that last paragraph didn't mention that they already have a 4 star transfer from Baylor at the same position as Cam :unsure:

Well at least the last paragraph didn't talk up the attractive signing bonuses and strip club visits Haith has been known to offer. http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/frank-haith-wrist-slap-suspension-far-too-lenient-164639441--ncaab.html

Well at least the last paragraph didn't talk up the attractive signing bonuses and strip club visits Haith has been known to offer. http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/frank-haith-wrist-slap-suspension-far-too-lenient-164639441--ncaab.html

I think the lesson in that article is, it's bad to BBQ a pig for a recruit, but it's ok to wallow in the mud like a pig when you're out recruiting.

Lol. My friends sister worked at one for a while. Had a tattoo of a smashed dead fairy under one breast and a car jack under the other.... She was pretty funny.... But they served booze.

No, you are correct, except I did the letting go. :)

Okay. Then I guess you're a loyal former employee defending your former employer by spinning the company line. :unsure: I still believe the Post favors Mizzou coverage -- more likely intentionally than subconsciously. And that's not to say I'm going to complain about.