Biedscheid Transferring from ND

Littlebill

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's pretty simple. The P-D sports editorial staff assigned Matter, rather than Timmermann, to cover the story. The slant favorable to Mizzou is the result of an editorial decision to cater to a constituency that the editorial staff perceives to be weighted much more towards Missouri fans & alumni than towards SLU fans & alumni. It's strictly business to them. Whether that editorial slant influences fans and recruits toward Mizzou while reducing SLU's perceived relevance is debatable. What we need is for competition. Had the Globe-Democrat still been a prominent alternative, you may have seen a Globe SLU beat writer covering the story with a pro-SLU slant. Hopefully sustained success by the Billikens will lead the P-D sports editorial staff to give SLU more weight, but the balance of Mizzou alumni to SLU alumni in the Metro area will never change and it's rather unlikely, unfortunately, that the perceived balance of Mizzou fans to SLU fans in the Metro area will ever change.

It's pretty simple. The P-D sports editorial staff assigned Matter, rather than Timmermann, to cover the story. The slant favorable to Mizzou is the result of an editorial decision to cater to a constituency that the editorial staff perceives to be weighted much more towards Missouri fans & alumni than towards SLU fans & alumni. It's strictly business to them. Whether that editorial slant influences fans and recruits toward Mizzou while reducing SLU's perceived relevance is debatable. What we need is for competition. Had the Globe-Democrat still been a prominent alternative, you may have seen a Globe SLU beat writer covering the story with a pro-SLU slant. Hopefully sustained success by the Billikens will lead the P-D sports editorial staff to give SLU more weight, but the balance of Mizzou alumni to SLU alumni in the Metro area will never change and it's rather unlikely, unfortunately, that the perceived balance of Mizzou fans to SLU fans in the Metro area will ever change.

True and sad.

Dave Matter is unreadable. The Post shouldn't even be covering Mizzou, period. This is St. Louis, not freaking Columbia.

True and sad.

I should clarify: when I say the Post has an editorial slant favorable to Mizzou, I mean towards Mizzou's relevance, not their well-being. Plenty of Mizzou fans will never forgive the Post for its investigative reporting during Mizzou's various scandals.

Dave Matter is unreadable. The Post shouldn't even be covering Mizzou, period. This is St. Louis, not freaking Columbia.

That's laughable (the second part). It's St. Louis, Missouri. Now maybe you could argue, "The Post shouldn't even be covering the Illini, period. This is St. Louis, not freaking Urbana-Champaign," but even then you'd be ignoring the fact that the St. Louis Metropolitan Statistical Area includes part of Illinois.

Should the Post be covering St. Charles County or Jefferson County? They're not in St. Louis. Basically, JettFlight, you must be used to the small college-town coverage; well, this is St. Louis, not freaking Lexington.

Nevermind the fact that there are more Mizzou fans in St Louis than SLU fans...nevermind that STLPD/STLToday is fighting for survival in a dying industry in a fledgling middle market...

I find it extremely ironic that a guy who doesn't live in St. Louis or Missouri is bent out of shape over a newspaper covering a team from a different part of its own state.

I should clarify: when I say the Post has an editorial slant favorable to Mizzou, I mean towards Mizzou's relevance, not their well-being. Plenty of Mizzou fans will never forgive the Post for its investigative reporting during Mizzou's various scandals.

That's laughable (the second part). It's St. Louis, Missouri. Now maybe you could argue, "The Post shouldn't even be covering the Illini, period. This is St. Louis, not freaking Urbana-Champaign," but even then you'd be ignoring the fact that the St. Louis Metropolitan Statistical Area includes part of Illinois.

Should the Post be covering St. Charles County or Jefferson County? They're not in St. Louis. Basically, JettFlight, you must be used to the small college-town coverage; well, this is St. Louis, not freaking Lexington.

I am tired of Mizzou talk, period.

I apologize to anyone I offended.

Mizzou has a 4 star SF transfer who will be eligible next season as a junior. It's simple, if cam wants the most playing time and the opportunity to be a team leader, he'll choose SLU.

Is there any word on when he is planning a slu visit?

If he hasn't visited already then the earliest would be on Tuesday

Mizzou has a 4 star SF transfer who will be eligible next season as a junior. It's simple, if cam wants the most playing time and the opportunity to be a team leader, he'll choose SLU.

Is there any word on when he is planning a slu visit?

I had no idea deuce bello transferred to Mizzou.

Wow. Cam. SLU. Conference champ. Star player. NBA player as mentor. Come'on man!

I'm glad that wanting the school in St. Louis to get coverage from St. Louis is ridiculous.

Calling someone unreadable because he doesn't cover your school is ridiculous. Saying that the largest newspaper in Missouri should not cover the University of Missouri is even more ridiculous.

Your post mentioned absolutely nothing about SLU or SLU's coverage so don't turn it into that now. I too wish the Billikens got more coverage in the Post. I have read the sports section every day and complained hundreds of times about SLU's coverage when compared to Mizzou or even Illinois. But I'm not so naive as to be upset at Matter for doing his job or to think that Mizzou shouldn't get any coverage in general. More people in the area tend to care about Mizzou. And while that may be in small part due to the Post's coverage, it also cannot be denied.

Calling someone unreadable because he doesn't cover your school is ridiculous. Saying that the largest newspaper in Missouri should not cover the University of Missouri is even more ridiculous.

Your post mentioned absolutely nothing about SLU or SLU's coverage so don't turn it into that now. I too wish the Billikens got more coverage in the Post. I have read the sports section every day and complained hundreds of times about SLU's coverage when compared to Mizzou or even Illinois. But I'm not so naive as to be upset at Matter for doing his job or to think that Mizzou shouldn't get any coverage in general. More people in the area tend to care about Mizzou. And while that may be in small part due to the Post's coverage, it also cannot be denied.

Why do you think I said it at all? Because I don't like the fact that SLU gets buried in St. Louis.

Why do you think I said it at all? Because I don't like the fact that SLU gets buried in St. Louis.

Just because you said it because you want SLU to get more coverage doesn't make it any less absurd. What is your problem with Matter? That he covered the Mizzou side of the Biedscheid story as the Mizzou beat writer? I have no problem with that. I am disappointed than Timmerman hasn't done or hasn't been assigned an article on the same topic.

Just because you said it because you want SLU to get more coverage doesn't make it any less absurd. What is your problem with Matter? That he covered the Mizzou side of the Biedscheid story as the Mizzou beat writer? I have no problem with that. I am disappointed than Timmerman hasn't done or hasn't been assigned an article on the same topic.

It's called shooting the messenger.

I hate Dave Matter's work because of what he covers.

I can tell but thats probably because I have had a lot of beer today too.

Rainy all day + a sick kid puking all day / stuck in a hotel room in Marco Island = copious amounts of wine.

I hate Mizzou, but SLU winning is the ONLY thing that solves the (sports reporting) problem with the Post. Not sure what can solve the Post's other problems.