HS Class of 2014 Updates

Pistol

Roby doesn't even play a true PG. So that's really good to see.

Chiozza and Roby in the backcourt is almost unfair in HS.

-Roby didn't play much guard this past weekend, White Station has a junior Nych Smith who is the other guard, Roby typically was on the baseline or wing in their offense

-Nych is getting looks, he is a mid to high D1 player

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm revisiting the video on Bartley now: he might be the purest shooter of the trio, and my hunch is that he'd be shooting the highest percentage. As many of you have seen by now, he's a very skinny 6-4, but also extremely fluid. He springs a little more in his shot and has a quick release. It comes a little closer to his right side and from a little lower than I'd like to see if I'm looking at it from a textbook shooting standpoint, but his length and quick trigger may compensate for the lower release point. He's got a really long follow-through. If he's from NBA range or deeper, he also brings it from farther back. But it seems effective, and one more thing I really like is that he isn't fazed by defenders closing out; there are a lot of highlights of him drilling well-guarded threes. Very confident shooter. This highlight video is probably the best one-stop place to see what I'm talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vF8RTFZo714

bartley will score A LOT for us, i have a feeling. he is SMOOTH, has range, handles, good form, passes well, takes it to the basket quick and strong, etc. etc. high school kids don't play defense, so we'll see what that amounts to.

i'm just excited to be bringing in multiple tall guards.

I don't see the Tommie comparison with Roby. From what I have seen Roby is a strong physical guard and real good athlete, but a little deficient from a talent standpoint. I don't mean that to be harsh, he is a young kid with a lot of potential.

Not having seen Roby play, but rather from the physical description of him and his ability to go to the basket, he seems more like a J. Jett type player.

Since it doesn't seem like Roby or Reynolds are better than average 3 pt shooters, I'm hoping that Bartley is. Other postings made me think that Bartley is the most likely to play the PG position. It would be nice to have a PG who can hit from outside, which pulls the PG-defender out of the paint a little more.

I'm revisiting the video on Bartley now: he might be the purest shooter of the trio, and my hunch is that he'd be shooting the highest percentage. As many of you have seen by now, he's a very skinny 6-4, but also extremely fluid. He springs a little more in his shot and has a quick release. It comes a little closer to his right side and from a little lower than I'd like to see if I'm looking at it from a textbook shooting standpoint, but his length and quick trigger may compensate for the lower release point. He's got a really long follow-through. If he's from NBA range or deeper, he also brings it from farther back. But it seems effective, and one more thing I really like is that he isn't fazed by defenders closing out; there are a lot of highlights of him drilling well-guarded threes. Very confident shooter. This highlight video is probably the best one-stop place to see what I'm talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vF8RTFZo714

That's the video I saw a few weeks before he gave us the verbal. I remember saying something along the line of, "He's my #1 target at this time." He seems to be able to do it all, pass, drive and shoot. Now he just needs to show JC next year that he can defend (gaining about 15 lbs wouldn't hurt).

The primary shooters for the next 2 - 3 seasons are going to be Ash, McBroom, Crawford, and lancona. The new guys like Reynolds and Bartley will not have to be making shots right out of the gate; they will have plenty of time to develop

Agreed, the shooters are already on the roster. The only guard recruit that looks capable of being a scorer at this point is Bartley. Reynolds and Roby will bring some size to the guard position and be solid all around players and defenders, but both have a lot of work to do on the offensive end. Fortunately, it looks like that is exactly what we need them for early in their careers.

There is a new video up on YouTube of one of Brett Jolly's recent games. He is more athletic and physically developed than I was led to expect. Looks like they may be posting some additional games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoNDq7q_R5A&feature=share

pedobear loves to do jollies with the peddie school...

12119670376_ca4c72af18_c.jpg

There is a new video up on YouTube of one of Brett Jolly's recent games. He is more athletic and physically developed than I was led to expect. Looks like they may be posting some additional games.

At about the 10:30 mark, the female announcer says about Jolly, "Going to play under legendary coach, Rick Majerus." You can tell the guy wanted to say something in response.

I'm not trying to be a downer about things, because I'm excited about what all of our signed recruits can bring to the table beginning next year, but I'd caution people about getting excited about a player's ability to hit outside shots because they saw him hit a few on a highlight video. Those videos are what they are; highlight videos that are generally made to show the positive things about a player.

There's a phrase I frequently see made on a fan forum for my favorite English Premier League team when the team is rumored to be considering signing a player. "Everyone looks good on YouTube."

This may not be the best example, but about 4 years ago I saw a video of Rob Loe playing for the New Zealand youth national team. In the video, Rob got the ball at the top of the key, drove to the hoop and finished the play with a two-handed dunk. I was so excited that we were going to have a big man who could do something like that. I like Rob as a player, and he has developed into a good player for us, but with 1 possible exception he hasn't done anything close to that play I saw on video in his 4 years at SLU.

This may not be the best example, but about 4 years ago I saw a video of Rob Loe playing for the New Zealand youth national team. In the video, Rob got the ball at the top of the key, drove to the hoop and finished the play with a two-handed dunk. I was so excited that we were going to have a big man who could do something like that. I like Rob as a player, and he has developed into a good player for us, but with 1 possible exception he hasn't done anything close to that play I saw on video in his 4 years at SLU.

ROB LOE DUNKS NOW, TAKE YOUR TOY BACK TO THE CARPET. TAKE IT BACK!!!

"Peddie" is a horrible name for a school. That's a series of jokes that writes itself!

Hadn't seen that yet. Very nice. Might as well use it as an excuse for a mass update:

-As glazedandconfused points out above, Reynolds was the Sun-Times HS Player of the Week. He led Whitney Young to wins over Oak Hill and Southwind, scoring 13 and 26, respectively, and earning MVP of the Southwind game, which was part of the Penny Hardaway Classic. Between those two games, WYHS beat Farragut, 73-56. Reynolds sat out with a minor injury. The North Lawndale game was supposed to be last night but I can't find anything on it- postponed, maybe?

Reynolds is averaging 17 points, 5 assists,and 3 rebounds on a team that has played one of the (if not the) hardest schedules in the nation. WYHS is ranked 3 in the Chicago poll but will be a serious contender in the Illinois playoffs. The next game is tomorrow at Marshall.

Also, Reynolds tweeted that he thought the SLU staff was coming out this past weekend to "show love" since they were off; any word on whether they did? He's an infectious Twitter follow if you're not already (@MilesReyRey3), and is incredibly enthusiastic to be a Billiken.

-Roby and White Station are up to 21-1 this season, with a lot of narrow wins lately. After scoring 17 in a win over Overton, Roby had 4 (Sunrise Christian, 56-55), 16 (East, 79-65), 10 (Hamilton, 76-71, Penny Hardaway Hoopfest), and 11 (Hamilton, 77-74, OT). Next game is at Whitehaven this Friday.

-Bartley and the MacArthur Generals (great logo) have won 5 straight, most recently on Friday at Bloomington. Bartley hit the 1,000-point mark for his career in the third quarter and finished with 14 along with some "slick assists" in a 76-65 win. He only had 2 first half points before he started to attack. Nice write-up here. Next game is tonight vs. Centennial.

-Gillmann and Oakville have now won 10 straight. AG had 16 and 6 with 3 blocks and 3 assists in a 58-51 win over Highland, 4 and 4 with 3 blocks in a 59-43 win over Triad, and 15 and 5 in a 44-33 win over Granite City. Next game is Friday at Mehlville, which will be a little more of a test than the last several games. Then things get tougher, with Lafayette and Parkway Central back-to-back, all road games.

-Jolly's full game vs. Peddie can be seen above. Blair has gone 3-1 in their last 4 games, and faces St. Benedict tomorrow night. As always, stats are not easy to come by but I know he had 3 against Lawrenceville. Blair's game against Pope is also available to watch on YouTube.

-Jolly's full game vs. Peddie can be seen above. Blair has gone 3-1 in their last 4 games, and faces St. Benedict tomorrow night. As always, stats are not easy to come by but I know he had 3 against Lawrenceville. Blair's game against Pope is also available to watch on YouTube.

Is that thee St Benedict, the high school in New Jersey that Dan Hurley (present coach of URI) coached? I don't know now but when he was at St Benedict's they were regularly nationally ranked.