New Video Coordinator

That is the biggest problem when comparing fred throw percentages - the regional differences in Freds. Wisconsin fred throwers are traditionally much lower percentage than foo foo California fred throwers.

Who cares to see some fuoker from Wisconsin throw a Fred?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is the biggest problem when comparing fred throw percentages - the regional differences in Freds. Wisconsin fred throwers are traditionally much lower percentage than foo foo California fred throwers.

Freds in Wisconsin tend to weigh more, so that makes sense.

This job is more for future assistant coaches, not video wizards. They didn't hire some fat computer nerd. The technical skill behind it is nothing most of us couldn't handle. A lot of programs don't have one of these, and video duties are split between the DBO and managers (that's how it was when I was at SLU). Former stud Crews player, nice overseas pro career, wants to get involved on the ground level of the program- on paper, this looks like a great hire. He'll bring some energy and has some interesting experience. He'll be able to step in as a practice (e.g. scout team) player, too. Always good to have young staff members who can do that.

I want the fat computer nerd from "Moneyball."

This job is more for future assistant coaches, not video wizards. They didn't hire some fat computer nerd. The technical skill behind it is nothing most of us couldn't handle. A lot of programs don't have one of these, and video duties are split between the DBO and managers (that's how it was when I was at SLU). Former stud Crews player, nice overseas pro career, wants to get involved on the ground level of the program- on paper, this looks like a great hire. He'll bring some energy and has some interesting experience. He'll be able to step in as a practice (e.g. scout team) player, too. Always good to have young staff members who can do that.

Plus, the team will always know the temperature with him around.

I am sorry but am I missing here - what kind of experience does he have doing this kind of stuff. I would hope they would hire someone who knows something about the job.

Not sure what the problem is. Seems like a good kid for an entry level job. Sounds like a kid Coach Crews had a good relationship. Why not reward him with an opportunity? Obviously Crewd knows him very well and feels comfortable working with him.

yeah, well so do these broads. i don't know why we didn't tap a smokin' hot fräulein for the job. gotta be hotter than thermostatt.

ybG4Pj9-QIc.jpg

oktoberfest-girl-carrying-beer.jpg

octoberfest_4.png

Large%20Glass%20Beer%20Mugs.jpg

ladies-of-oktoberfest-2011-47.jpg?w=374

Jimbo, the fine print is too small to see if your pix are from Soulard Oktbooberfest, but if not, I think we really should give the work to the local frauleins:

SoulardOktoberfest.jpg

Not sure what the problem is. Seems like a good kid for an entry level job. Sounds like a kid Coach Crews had a good relationship. Why not reward him with an opportunity? Obviously Crewd knows him very well and feels comfortable working with him.

Call me crazy but I just assumed you hired people who have the skill for the job not a friend but apparently others think that it does not take any skills to do this job so if that is true then OK but then I still wonder if you will get all you could out of the position.

I might have missed any discussion on my point, but reading the Evansville paper link on the new video coord,. was the first I knew of the fact that Crews ran a different offense when he was a head coach than what we ran last year. I hope he doesn't make major changes this year to the system the players are used to.

News flash: It's Crews' team now. It's also Crews' arse now as well. Bottom line is what Crews decides to do is Crews' to decide.

The success of the team will be dictated by a variety of factors all playing different parts. Last year, we had a shooting big/four off the bench in Ellis. An all-defensive league player off the bench in Jett. Spacing to allow an interior player to have the stretch run season Evans had. A nine man rotation. A long range shooting big man in Loe. Two servicable, but offensively-limited, bigs in Glaze and Remekun. Emotion in the death of a head coach. A defensive mindset. Total team effort.

If replicating every thing done in a successful season were so easy, everybody woudl be doin git all the time. I suspect, much like last year, we will have a slow break from the gates while roles are defined. It wil take a while no matter how you slice it. Pure talent can and does win a lot of games; look at Kentucky. We don't have that same level of talent although returning four of five starters is a great start to offset that. A variety of factors, not all the same for all teams.

By the way, not to deviate from basketball, but who really thinks that you need absolutely no knowledge or expertise to shoot a good video? The real pros in the video industry have a very considerable amount of expertise and knowledge about all kinds of things that most likely none of us ever thought about or even knew existed. If SLU gets a video pro slot in the basketball lineup, this is a real opportunity to make the team shine in public media. We need lots of favorable media exposure in order to move the public opinion favorably to us. This is something that a video pro can contribute to achieve.

By the way, not to deviate from basketball, but who really thinks that you need absolutely no knowledge or expertise to shoot a good video? The real pros in the video industry have a very considerable amount of expertise and knowledge about all kinds of things that most likely none of us ever thought about or even knew existed. If SLU gets a video pro slot in the basketball lineup, this is a real opportunity to make the team shine in public media. We need lots of favorable media exposure in order to move the public opinion favorably to us. This is something that a video pro can contribute to achieve.

I could be wrong, but my understanding is that the video coordinator position will not be shooing video or making videos for the public. He will be taking video shot by others of SLU and their opponents and breaking them down / compiling them for use in film sessions with the team. Basically he is working on scouting opponents and his own players.

I could be wrong, but my understanding is that the video coordinator position will not be shooing video or making videos for the public. He will be taking video shot by others of SLU and their opponents and breaking them down / compiling them for use in film sessions with the team. Basically he is working on scouting opponents and his own players.

You're right, old guy is just old...

No. You're right. The job is not to produce PR spots to promote men's basketball but to help coaches by filming their own players and scouting other players. And once the guy learns how to record, edit and upload, the job really turns into another coaching position if the person is so qualified. And even if the job does not allow/require official recruiting, introducing all the recruits to the Big 10 scoring champ/NBA player -- Calbert Chaney -- has got to help.

No. You're right. The job is not to produce PR spots to promote men's basketball but to help coaches by filming their own players and scouting other players. And once the guy learns how to record, edit and upload, the job really turns into another coaching position if the person is so qualified. And even if the job does not allow/require official recruiting, introducing all the recruits to the Big 10 scoring champ/NBA player -- Calbert Chaney -- has got to help.

Clock, Cheaney will be an AC (and thus be able to recruit off campus). The video coordinator position will be filled by former Evansville player Marcus Wilson.

The video coordinator doesn't even do the filming. Others do the filming.

Dude can take at class at FoPa and learn the video stuff in an afternoon. Come on, he's probably got DVR at home too. Maybe you guys are really concerned because the Billiken Team was not successful at basketball until we had this position on our staff so you link all our success to it? That's logical.

I just called up the SID and asked what a Video Coordinator for the SLU MBB team does. They told me and I quote, "Scour youtube for hype tapes of HS basketball players and verify whether they can dunk."*

*This statement may not be factual