Recruiting - 2016

-also, anything new with Will Gladsen? if he can stay healthy and keep improving his mobility and quickness I think he could be a nice player for SLU

Will Gladson is again playing with the Eagles this spring/summer and has recently picked up offers from IUPUI and SIU-Edwardsville. I am happy to see that he is receiving some offers, but with his limitations due to injuries I don't see him being capable of playing at SLU.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

-have you or anyone that wants to opine seen enough of Cook away from the basket to project that he will be successful at a high level or do you think his game around the basket is enough for that success? and he is great around the basket versus other high schoolers

He's got a lot to work on away from the basket. Which is why the 'he'd start immediately on [D-I team]' comments above are a bit overblown. He's improved dramatically in that regard in the past year, though, and I think he's proven to people that he's more than just a finisher - i.e. this season he showed that he can do more off the dribble. But he's still got a ways to go there, and could help himself by developing some more tools. I think he'll be an excellent college power forward.

Sheesh, I sounded too vague there.

He's undoubtedly a high-level finisher. Very strong near the basket. But this season his 5-foot game became more of a 10-foot game, as he's displayed more ability to finish with a few dribbles in traffic or in transition. I thought he was pretty one dimensional until watching more games this season, and he really opened my eyes with some of his moves particularly later in the season.

He's not a good FT shooter (54% in the HS season), and I haven't seen much evidence he's got a jump shot. He could be a more assertive rebounder at both ends, and the same could be said for his shot blocking. He seems like he'd naturally be better at both of these, and I don't think he'd have to do a lot differently to vastly improve these numbers his senior season - just have a more aggressive approach to both.

So those are the tools he can add.

Sheesh, I sounded too vague there.

He's undoubtedly a high-level finisher. Very strong near the basket. But this season his 5-foot game became more of a 10-foot game, as he's displayed more ability to finish with a few dribbles in traffic or in transition. I thought he was pretty one dimensional until watching more games this season, and he really opened my eyes with some of his moves particularly later in the season.

He's not a good FT shooter (54% in the HS season), and I haven't seen much evidence he's got a jump shot. He could be a more assertive rebounder at both ends, and the same could be said for his shot blocking. He seems like he'd naturally be better at both of these, and I don't think he'd have to do a lot differently to vastly improve these numbers his senior season - just have a more aggressive approach to both.

So those are the tools he can add.

Similar to what Justin Tatum needed when he came out of CBC.

Similar to what Justin Tatum needed when he came out of CBC.

Ha. Not a bad comparison. http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/justin-tatum-1.html

Even though he wasn't eligible when he showed up on campus, Tatum's first year at SLU saw him on the receiving end of a ton of alley-oops. Over his career, in fact, I bet it's more than any SLU player since (Fisher to Tatum was a natural alley-oop connection). He also shot about what Cook does from the FT line. Based on Tatum's 3-year career numbers (8.2 and 5.3), I see no reason Cook couldn't be a more productive player.

Tyler Cook is trimming his list to 6 on Wednesday.

He's been very tight-lipped about frontrunners so far, so I am guessing there will be a few surprises in the six. Basically anyone outside of Mizzou, Kansas, Illinois, and maybe SLU will be a surprise (I'm 50-50 on whether we'll be included).

Pitt offered late last week; Arkansas and South Florida both offered in mid-late April. Iowa, K-State, Iowa State, Purdue, and Michigan all seemed involved relatively early but I'm not sure where he stands with them all now. During the AAU period so far, Mizzou, Kansas, Illinois, and Florida are said to be watching him the most, but obviously things with Florida are very much up in the air after Donovan's departure. UConn offered in the fall and is also still said to be involved.

Tyler Cook is trimming his list to 6 on Wednesday.

He's been very tight-lipped about frontrunners so far, so I am guessing there will be a few surprises in the six. Basically anyone outside of Mizzou, Kansas, Illinois, and maybe SLU will be a surprise (I'm 50-50 on whether we'll be included).

Pitt offered late last week; Arkansas and South Florida both offered in mid-late April. Iowa, K-State, Iowa State, Purdue, and Michigan all seemed involved relatively early but I'm not sure where he stands with them all now. During the AAU period so far, Mizzou, Kansas, Illinois, and Florida are said to be watching him the most, but obviously things with Florida are very much up in the air after Donovan's departure. UConn offered in the fall and is also still said to be involved.

-there seems to be a thought that T Cook doesn't want to play locally, I've heard that a few places but don't know the origin, but Wednesday this might be confirmed