Recruiting - 2016

I hear you but the more kids you sign that have high rankings the more the odds are in your favor of hitting pay dirt - generalization but the is a reason there are generalizations, they tend to be right more than wrong.

Of course, you want to land the most talented kids you can that can be successful for you . In this instance, I think there is some overreacting going on by OSU fans. This is the spring period and OSU needs a point guard. The picking are slim this time of year. This is a player Underwood was already convinced could play his system.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course, you want to land the most talented kids you can that can be successful for you . In this instance, I think there is some overreacting going on by OSU fans. This is the spring period and OSU needs a point guard. The picking are slim this time of year. This is a player Underwood was already convinced could play his system.

Fair point

Guess I might as well post a few updates:

Nick Robinson (Kenwood Academy, Chicago) visited Cal this weekend. SLU offered under Crews, along with St. Joe's, DePaul, Valpo, Indiana State, Bradley, UIC, and UMKC.

Lorenzo Edwards (Lake Forest) visited St. Joe's along with Nick Robinson (see above) two weeks ago. He has several offers (SLU, St. Joe's, Duquesne, George Mason), Loyola-Chicago, Evansville, Furman, Tennessee State, Elon), and despite a lot of power-conference interest, offers from that level have yet to come.

Aleem Ford (IMG Academy, Lawrenceville, GA) will visit Richmond this weekend. Along with the Spiders, he has offers from SLU, Rutgers, Hofstra, Marist, Fairfield, Tennessee Tech, Wofford, Quinnipiac, and American, and a lot of primarily East Coast interest.

Kostas Antetokounmpo (Dominican, Milwaukee) will visit Florida and St. John's. He has a ton of high-level interest but few offers. SLU appears out of the running.

Skyler Nash will do a postgrad year at Gould Academy, making him a 2017 recruit.

Not that we had a shot, but Nick Robinson to St. Joe's.

Is it more important to recruit players with stars behind their names or is it better to recruit players that can actually play and thrive within the system you want to play?

I think Bruce Weber failed at Illinois because he was too worried about landing guys with a bunch of stars behind their name instead of trying to land the best guys he could find to play his system.

Rick Majerus is dead, dude. You have to stop living in that world. Rick made gold out of paper. We saw what happened when Majerus recruited low or no star guys.. We saw what happened when Crews recruited low or no star guys. Have to have the right coach. I trust Ford to get talent, im not sure what we will do with it.

We will be much better than we have been under Crews. We will be in the top 6 of the conference.

I would rather have Majerus than coach K or John Wooden.

I hear you but the more kids you sign that have high rankings the more the odds are in your favor of hitting pay dirt - generalization but the is a reason there are generalizations, they tend to be right more than wrong.

ditto for stereotypes

Rick Majerus is dead, dude. You have to stop living in that world. Rick made gold out of paper. We saw what happened when Majerus recruited low or no star guys.. We saw what happened when Crews recruited low or no star guys. Have to have the right coach. I trust Ford to get talent, im not sure what we will do with it.

We will be much better than we have been under Crews. We will be in the top 6 of the conference.

I would rather have Majerus than coach K or John Wooden.

Majerus recruited much better basketball players than Jim Crews.

Also, I never said to not recruit talented players. You just have to recruit talented players that fill spots in the system you run. Just because a kid isn't the desired sized for recruiting services doesn't mean he can't play.

Weren't we recruiting him?

They also have a 6-10 forward transferring who could be intriguing. He didn't produce much and sounds like he has to gain strength, but was a Top 100 recruit at one point. With a year to sit out, might be the type of big who could develop. He has three years of eligibility remaining.

Weren't we recruiting him?

At one point, yes. He's from Springfield, IL and played for the Eagles. But SLU was never a finalist, and then he committed to Tennessee, and then got out of his LOI and went to Xavier after Martin took the Cal job.

He became the odd man out in Xavier's guard rotation. When Sumner went down for a few games with an injury, he ran the point the first game quite well. Then Mack played other guys out of position over him. He was in the doghouse quicker than other players, for whatever reason. Confidence seemed to be an issue, and having a freshman run the point over you couldn't have helped. But I think he could be a nice player, given the right fit. Not a big numbers guy, but a steady guard.

"BREAKDOWN: Malik Martin is a 6-foot-11, 220-pound sophomore forward who is quick around the basket and can stretch the defense by hitting the three-pointer. He runs the court well for a player his size and his seven-foot wingspan allows him to be a good shot-blocker and defensive presence."

Gotta like that scouting report, even if it is from the official site: http://www.usctrojans.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/malik_martin_907557.html

He started half of USC's games his freshman year, but had a major regression this past season. Played 6.7 MPG, averaging 1.8 points and 1.5 rebounds. Didn't appear to be hurt. I'm going to have to do some more digging on the story here, but that size and potential is very attractive.

I would be fine if Reynolds' and Yarbrough's scholarships went to transfers. Going to be hard to find day 1 difference makers this late in the game. People like to point to Loe, Jett, or even Bishop as late signees who really turned out but those are guys we had been recruiting for a long time. With a new staff if place, it's going to be hard to make ground on recruits who have been hearing from the same coaches for months. Hopefully I'm wrong and Ford can bring in a couple of really good players, but if he doesn't think he can, we should really hit the transfer market hard

FGCU should not be a a threat if their coach is considering being an AC at NC.

This is probably true. He's definitely visiting the other three, though. SLU is the most recent addition to the mix.