Recruiting - 2016

UCF new coach Johnny Dawkins just hired USC assistant coach Kevin Norrris. So could be they have an advantage.

USF coach Orlando Antigua is entering his 3rd year they just had 2 terrible seasons.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you ever seen where that campus is located? They should be a threat.

Yes but why would you transfer to a school where the coach may be leaving regardless of the great location of the school.. If a new coach comes in he may not care for you as a player and now you may have wasted another year of eligibility.

Yes but why would you transfer to a school where the coach may be leaving regardless of the great location of the school.. If a new coach comes in he may not care for you as a player and now you may have wasted another year of eligibility.

We once lost a kid to Iowa when they had no coach.

Malcolm Bernard 6'6 Forward Florida A&M considering us. He is a grad transfer.

He could be a nice one-year plug player. The problem: "He wants to use his final year of eligibility at a program that is able to win games and make the NCAA Tournament." That's not SLU.

Here's some good stuff on him from SB Nation's Wake Forest page: http://www.bloggersodear.com/2016/3/15/11237440/wake-forest-basketball-transfer-target-malcolm-bernard

He's also looking at Richmond, UNLV, SIUC, and Nevada, and reportedly also Rider and Youngstown State. The "finalist" lists have comprised some combo of those schools over the past few days on Twitter, and SLU is a new one, it seems.

Peterson actually committed before the coach was hired

I guess you can commit anytime you want but that does not mean the offer will actually come or the NOI sent to be signed. What I remember is that Peterson would not commit to SLU/BS even after the Iowa coach who had offered him was no longer the coach (yes he had an offer but did not yet sign his NOI since the spring period to do so had not happened yet but then the coach was fired and the offer was mute). Peterson waited until the new coach was named and days if not weeks passed before the new coach actually officially offered. Then Peterson accepted which we all knew would happen if the coach offered. The way it was playing out Peterson wanted to play in a power conference and the A10 was not one so he waited and hoped to get the offer from the new coach and it did eventually come. The FGCU situation is very different. Their coach may or may not leave so even if the transfer player accepts the offer from the coach and then the coach ultimately decides to leave then the player is stuck in a situation where the new coach may or may not want him. Why would you take such a risk? The Peterson example was very different - the new coach decided he wanted Peterson so there was no downside for Peterson in fact as long as he had the SLU/BS offer in his pocket then waiting was not a problem. One might ask - and maybe BS did this who knows - tell Peterson make up your mind by a such and such a date or we are pulling our offer. The problem was that BS did not have any options so he just waited with crossed fingers and hoped the new Iowa coach would not offer Peterson. History tells us that did not happen and so Peterson got what he ultimately wanted.

I'm fine if Ford just brings in a couple transfers and works for the 2017-18 season. There is still uncommitted high school talent out there, but like I mentioned before, we are likely way behind on developing relationships with any of those guys. Next season probably won't be pretty either way. I'm fine if we really build towards the season after that.

So SLU has 1 assistant coach, no reported visits, only 1 reported interest - a grad transfer(nochance), no signings for this signing period....

Patience.

I'd rather see him take his time in getting the right people than rush into job and scholarship offers that might not work out.

So SLU has 1 assistant coach, no reported visits, only 1 reported interest - a grad transfer(nochance), no signings for this signing period....

It's still early. It's not like the fall. The spring signing period drags on for a long time, especially the transfer market. For example, Ash signed with us in June. Plenty of time for stuff to happen.

I like a lot of the things Ford has said so far, but the one comment that has me a bit concerned is he said that he is not going to really look at much tape from this past season. His tone seemed to be that he was going to give everybody a fresh start, which I get, but who will be around to tell him that Jolly needs to go if he hasn't looked at game tape? Nishida? Crews should have kicked him off the team right after the Indiana State game.

See, I helped the jinx. You're welcome.

Yeah, nice timing!

Plenty of time for stuff to happen, as ACE says. There are still more players out there who will announce intent to transfer, still plenty of time to sign them.

It's still early. It's not like the fall. The spring signing period drags on for a long time, especially the transfer market. For example, Ash signed with us in June. Plenty of time for stuff to happen.

I like a lot of the things Ford has said so far, but the one comment that has me a bit concerned is he said that he is not going to really look at much tape from this past season. His tone seemed to be that he was going to give everybody a fresh start, which I get, but who will be around to tell him that Jolly needs to go if he hasn't looked at game tape? Nishida? Crews should have kicked him off the team right after the Indiana State game.

How many practices would you need to schuss out the wheat from the chaff? I'm guessing Travis needs less....

I'm fine if Ford just brings in a couple transfers and works for the 2017-18 season. There is still uncommitted high school talent out there, but like I mentioned before, we are likely way behind on developing relationships with any of those guys. Next season probably won't be pretty either way. I'm fine if we really build towards the season after that.

This is my preference, so you won't see me crushing Ford for not signing any 2016 kids this spring. A transfer or two could make a lot of sense though, I am thinking specifically the positions Crews has failed to recruit (point guard and post player).

Hopefully we hear a lot about 2017 and 2018 kids we are involved with over the next month. I keep hearing about how talented the 16U Eagles team is and that doesn't include kids like Carte'Are Gordon (making some noise early with a loaded MOKAN squad) or Torrance Watson and Courtney Ramey who I think are playing with the Ramey Jets United.