Recruiting - 2016

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Currently, the STL area has a stronger crop of talent than Cincinnati.

However - and this is the big difference - Cincinnati is within about 100 miles of five other cities: Columbus, Indianapolis, Lexington, Louisville, and Dayton.

St. Louis is farther away from the "nearby" markets it has to recruit - Kansas City, Memphis, Chicago, Indianapolis, and just about any other city of size is at least 4 hours away. Places like Springfield (MO and IL), Peoria, Bloomington, and Columbia are closer, but still a couple hours or more. And they're smaller, so the talent isn't as deep, anyway.

So even though St. Louis currently is putting out more top-flight recruits as a metro area than Cincinnati, the "region" is a lot more spread out and therefore recruits are spread thinner. Xavier has a really solid pipeline within that 100-mile radius.

-just for kicks, within 100 miles of Chaifetz Arena the estimated population is 4,067,101 while within 100 miles of the Cintas Center it is 8,174,961

-this does not account for the number of D1 schools in those areas

What's the population count around Tacoma, WA where Zaga resides, probably less than a mil? Winning solves so many problems. Thanks J Crews for making us losers... big losers.

Tacoma is very close to Seattle, Gonzaga is on the other side of the state in Spokane. You are right though the population near Spokane is not fantastic. It is right near the Montana border so a whole lot of trees basically. Being near Sea/Tac would change the dynamics of Gonzaga's recruiting quite a bit imo. But that isn't a big of a deal with them since their success is pretty well known nationally.

The main page of Billiken.com has a tweet from "SLU men's basketball" showing a picture of the basketball squad. Hines is included in this picture.

First the picture is probably taken from this past year and even if it was a current picture a walk on would still be considered a team member. Are you suggesting that Hines has been told that he is keeping his schollie? (sorry did not see your other post) I am not so sure that Hines will stay on schollie - if Ford can replace him with a big upgrade he will.

The picture is missing Milik and Miles, the two players that have decided to transfer. I have no reason to believe it is an old picture. I have no idea what Ford will or will not do but really good players suitable for on the spot replacement do not grow in trees. And, for those of you who do not appear to understand, we need 3 new players (2 after Zeke joins if he joins) before we can think of replacing Hines. Once we get them we can think of who is to replace who else. Personally I would rather see other players, will not mention the name here, depart before Hines goes.

Hines needs to control his shooting if he gets to play-and pretty sad if an upgrade from a walk-on cannot be done

Imo it needs to be a significant upgrade. Remember if we take someone else we then have 4 years of their performance. Would it be better to recruit for 2017 and really max that roster spot?

What's the population count around Tacoma, WA where Zaga resides, probably less than a mil? Winning solves so many problems. Thanks J Crews for making us losers... big losers.

How about around Omaha where Creighton seems to do well. Or Wichita. If we sustain some success, getting local kids will be a huge benefit. There is a lot of talent coming out of St. Louis.

I assume we will have to start from the ground up, though. Get kids from wherever and start being competitive. Once that happens, you can supplement your national or Midwest recruiting with St. Louis kids that wouldn't mind staying home if the team is going to be successful. Having both, national and local, is necessary to what we want. It's what Xavier, Gonzaga, Creighton, etc. do to maintain their success.

we need black jerseys. black guys like black stuff. we need black guys. MOAR AFFRIKKAAANNZZZZ.

1. You must already realize this but... you are a f*^king idiot.

2. "Black guys" and Africans are not one in the same. Please clarify.

I agree just to replace Hines with a slight upgrade makes no sense given that we would be stuck with the player for 4 years. Going from a D+ or C- guard to a C one makes no sense. One question that has never really been answered is did JC promise Hines the schollie for 2 years? - Didn't May tell the players that there were no assurances that everybody would get to keep their schollie? We have 3 schollies to give - MY, MR, and Hines. AY was given to Zeke and since he has not asked for his release as of yet my guess is he will be coming - by the way I believe his parents want to keep him in town so unless Ford rescinds it he will be here. First if I am Ford I will replace the two who left first because Hines you can keep in your pocket if something good arises late. I would hope that would happen because then it means Ford found a significant upgrade and that is a win for us.

Guy is probably a nice kid and all but come on, he was a walk on and played like a walk on in the end. It was a nice story but nice stories don't win games. If we want to be competitive then cut the charity act and get someone in who can play. IMHO.

That is exactly the point BigMouth, we have to find someone who can play and replace Milik and Miles first, then if and when we find another somebody who can play, we can replace Hines. Personally I would prefer others would be replaced prior to Hines.

Ot - Underwood just landed his first recruit at OSU - a two-star, 5-10 PG who had previously committed to Underwood at SFA. Some Okie State fans already questioning if the kid will be able to compete in the Big 12. Underwood did a tremendous job at SFA, but coaches stepping up in class will always have to prove they can recruit at a higher level.

Ot - Underwood just landed his first recruit at OSU - a two-star, 5-10 PG who had previously committed to Underwood at SFA. Some Okie State fans already questioning if the kid will be able to compete in the Big 12. Underwood did a tremendous job at SFA, but coaches stepping up in class will always have to prove they can recruit at a higher level.

You make a good point - not sure this does OSU any real good unless this player is way under the radar. Surprised SFA let the kid out of his NLI to go with Underwood.

You make a good point - not sure this does OSU any real good unless this player is way under the radar. Surprised SFA let the kid out of his NLI to go with Underwood.

Is it more important to recruit players with stars behind their names or is it better to recruit players that can actually play and thrive within the system you want to play?

I think Bruce Weber failed at Illinois because he was too worried about landing guys with a bunch of stars behind their name instead of trying to land the best guys he could find to play his system.

Is it more important to recruit players with stars behind their names or is it better to recruit players that can actually play and thrive within the system you want to play?

I think Bruce Weber failed at Illinois because he was too worried about landing guys with a bunch of stars behind their name instead of trying to land the best guys he could find to play his system.

I hear you but the more kids you sign that have high rankings the more the odds are in your favor of hitting pay dirt - generalization but the is a reason there are generalizations, they tend to be right more than wrong.