Recruiting - 2016

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Eagles get the win 78-64, stats of note:

Tatum: 26 points (10-19 from the field, 6-6 from the line), 11 rebounds, 1 assist, and 4 TOs

Barnes: 8 points (1-1 from the field, 1-3 from 3, and 3-3 from the line), 3 assists, and 4 TOs

Cook: 18 points (7-9 from the field, 4-6 from the line), 14 rebounds, and 4 TOs

Goodwin: 5 points (2-4 from the field, 1-2 from the line), 1 rebound, 4 assists, and 2 steals

Tilmon: fouled out with just 2 points (1-1 from the field), 2 rebounds, and 2 blocks

Courier-journal tweeted a video link of Jayson talking about his recruitment and package deal with Giles. Was asked about SLU and staying home and he talked about how he likes the players, program and school. Thought it was kind of funny when they asked if he went to St. Louis after the U19, he assumed they meant the school. A lot of background noise so couldn't tell everything he was saying.

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/kentucky/2015/07/09/uk-targets-tatum-giles-a-package-deal/29940507/

Yep, just watched the video too. The package deal thing is all people can talk about. I am at 5%

I have no idea where it ends, but the interviews no longer give us any indication as to what Tatum and Giles will do. For example, here's an article from this morning. Quote from Giles:

On whether he talks with Jason Tatum and Dennis Smith about a package deal: “We talk about it here and there. We just talk as boys…We kind of throw it in there from time to time but we gotta make the right decision for us.”

http://zagsblog.com/articles/harry-giles-planning-fall-decision/

These guys will answer, and cater, to any question/angle the writer wants to explore.

T

I have no idea where it ends, but the interviews no longer give us any indication as to what Tatum and Giles will do. For example, here's an article from this morning. Quote from Giles:

http://zagsblog.com/articles/harry-giles-planning-fall-decision/

These guys will answer, and cater, to any question/angle the writer wants to explore.

They all seem to be good kids and want to try to please whoever they are talking to. That is what you get with kids when they are 17.

I've said it here multiple times. They aren't a "package deal" by the common perception of the term "package deal". But if Tatum commits to Duke, I would be shocked if Giles went anywhere else. To be honest, from what I've heard, I'd be shocked if Giles went anywhere other than Duke anyway.

The two are great friends and they want to play with each other in college, but they're both going to do what they think is best for them. The problem for SLU fans is that they both really like Duke.

T

They all seem to be good kids and want to try to please whoever they are talking to. That is what you get with kids when they are 17.

Most definitely. Just wanted to follow up that I wasn't trying to be negative. Both Giles & Tatum will be good reps of whatever schools they attend.

T

Quite frankly, I think you get that with most people of any age. Imagine if any of us were going through a home remodeling and had 4 contractors bidding for your services and every day somebody was interviewing you on which contractor was the best and why you liked each one. It would be incredibly hard to say nice things about each of them and consistently provide the same message without leading on to which one is your favorite, especially if people parse every word you say and looked for hidden meanings.

Personally, I don't take any negative or positive out of that video. Just because 4 of the 5 questions he was asked were about a package deal doesn't mean that is where his focus is.