Recruiting - 2016

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In fairness, former Marquette coach Kevin O'Neill's use of "I've Had the Time of My Life" in a recruiting video in "Hoop Dreams" was a worse use of a popular song.

You're correct but you need to adjust for cultural inflation. That cultural wasteland at the dawn of the 90s before T2 and Nevermind was the period when that recruiting video was produced, and they just didn't know any better.

This is twenty fuoking fifteen.

Showing interest in Dru Smith, a 6'2 guard out of Indy. Also

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/dru-smith

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2015/07/08/eron-gordon-says-will-look-lsu/29895025/

A big reason for Reitz's success was the play of guard Dru Smith. The high-energy 6-2 guard wasn't a big-time scorer (10.5 ppg) but filled the stat sheet in other ways (5.4 rebounds, 4.5 assists and 3.6 steals).
"On that team, I tried to play hard defense and get our fast breaks going," Smith said. "I feel like colleges like how I play on the defensive end. My senior year I'm going to have to score a lot more."
Smith has offers from Ball State, Evansville, Indiana State, Northern Kentucky and South Alabama. Bradley, Loyola (Ill.) and Saint Louis have also been in contact and all had coaches at his game with Pocket City on Wednesday night at North Central. Butler's Lewis also watched his game before watching Gordon. Evansville coach Marty Simmons and Ball State coach James Whitford were also in attendance.
"I'm just kind of waiting through July before I sit down and figure everything out," Smith said. "I'll probably take two or three official visits. I kind of want to play uptempo, but mostly I'm looking for a program that is going in the right direction. I'd like to make an impact right away but I don't expect to be given anything."

You're correct but you need to adjust for cultural inflation. That cultural wasteland at the dawn of the 90s before T2 and Nevermind was the period when that recruiting video was produced, and they just didn't know any better.

This is twenty fuoking fifteen.

That's a good point, but I also don't see how anything about the "Dirty Dancing" soundtrack could have possibly resonated with urban youth in 1991. :lol:

Showing interest in Dru Smith, a 6'2 guard out of Indy. Also

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/dru-smith

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2015/07/08/eron-gordon-says-will-look-lsu/29895025/

A big reason for Reitz's success was the play of guard Dru Smith. The high-energy 6-2 guard wasn't a big-time scorer (10.5 ppg) but filled the stat sheet in other ways (5.4 rebounds, 4.5 assists and 3.6 steals).
"On that team, I tried to play hard defense and get our fast breaks going," Smith said. "I feel like colleges like how I play on the defensive end. My senior year I'm going to have to score a lot more."
Smith has offers from Ball State, Evansville, Indiana State, Northern Kentucky and South Alabama. Bradley, Loyola (Ill.) and Saint Louis have also been in contact and all had coaches at his game with Pocket City on Wednesday night at North Central. Butler's Lewis also watched his game before watching Gordon. Evansville coach Marty Simmons and Ball State coach James Whitford were also in attendance.
"I'm just kind of waiting through July before I sit down and figure everything out," Smith said. "I'll probably take two or three official visits. I kind of want to play uptempo, but mostly I'm looking for a program that is going in the right direction. I'd like to make an impact right away but I don't expect to be given anything."

I love this quote.

@bychrisjohnson: Duke's Jon Scheyer, UNC's Roy Williams, SLU's Jim Crews here (Peach Jam) to watch Jayson Tatum, whose decision is expected soon.

Duke didn't even bother to send coach K. They must know they are out of it. Or they know its already in the bag and are moving on to the next top 5 kid.

Duke didn't even bother to send coach K. They must know they are out of it. Or they know its already in the bag and are moving on to the next top 5 kid.

I guess that is the benefit of being completely reliant upon one recruit, there is nobody else for Crews to watch.

Kentucky sent nobody? That's surprising. Glad to see Crews is there because either way, he needs to be watching Goodwin.

Kentucky sent nobody? That's surprising. Glad to see Crews is there because either way, he needs to be watching Goodwin.

-no Coach K is interesting and FBJT might want to consider Coach K's health as his back has forced him to miss some time so he might not be around all season whereas at SLU FBJT will be at home unless at a road game, big advantage to SLU

-UK has to have someone there, not like they don't have the budget or they know they are out of the running

-UK has to have someone there, not like they don't have the budget or they know they are out of the running

I'm sure they have coaches at the tournament but could be watching other games or prospects if they know they are out on Tatum.