Recruiting - 2016

Why in the hell would anyone want to make it pleasant for local talent to turn down an offer from SLU?

He's currently considering SLU. That's more than we can say for most other blue chip recruits from the area.

If he chooses one of the all-time best basketball programs, which is on TV all the time and is the current national champion, that makes him worthy of scorn?

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't agree with your talent comment. I think Roby-Malik and Brantley are very talented. I also think the other 3 sophmores to be have a chance to contribute. The talent on last years team was far better then the record. We just need to find out how to defend the rim.

You don't have to agree. The numbers don't lie. This team was beaten by a lot of young teams - I didn't see any of them using youth as an excuse. And the issues go way beyond defending the rim.

Jeff Brantley was a solid relief pitcher, and I suppose one has to be talented to play 14 years of Major League Baseball. I'm not aware of any current SLU basketball player named Brantley, though.

Jeff Brantley was a solid relief pitcher, and I suppose one has to be talented to play 14 years of Major League Baseball. I'm not aware of any current SLU basketball player named Brantley, though.

Jeff Brantley is a great name from the past. I think Bartley needs to get on the Jeff Brantley diet (a similar hockey player mullet would be pretty awesome too).

I guess we will know more regarding what we have in the 2014 class this coming season, but I am not as bullish on them as some on the board. But as Billiken fans we have seen every sort of career trajectory possible.

He's currently considering SLU. That's more than we can say for most other blue chip recruits from the area.

If he chooses one of the all-time best basketball programs, which is on TV all the time and is the current national champion, that makes him worthy of scorn?

Booing a player during introductions isn't exactly heaping scorn on someone.

These guys have tough choices. I get that, but we as a fan base shouldn't make it easier for them to pick a school that isn't SLU. They sure in the hell shouldn't get a standing O from the fans like a returning conquering hero.

Hell, Ahearn took on this board for years and he would have signed with SLU in a heart beat. I don't remember anyone having a problem with the scorn piled on Blake. I don't get how piling on scorn on people that actually wanted to be a Billiken was OK, but simply booing someone who rejected you is in some way not being classy.

You don't have to agree. The numbers don't lie. This team was beaten by a lot of young teams - I didn't see any of them using youth as an excuse. And the issues go way beyond defending the rim.

Bartley/Brantley both have talent. I guess the Evans-Jett group didn't have any talent their first year.

I guess this thread has circled back around to people saying we won't be any good without Tatum. Kind of weird given that yesterday's news of him being down to 2 should have been viewed as a very good thing.

I guess this thread has circled back around to people saying we won't be any good without Tatum. Kind of weird given that yesterday's news of him being down to 2 should have been viewed as a very good thing.

I'd rather talk about what the starting lineup for his freshman year will look like. Or how many games over 20 the team will win. Because he is going to be a Billiken.

Sorry, guys, all this talk about booing is totally unnecessary. How old is Jayson, 17? He's got a tough decision for someone twice his age. One that none of us ever had. Play for THE marquee program in college hoops or stay home to play for the local team that totally stunk up the joint last year. Remember we finished like in the 300's of D1 programs. Uh, Duke finished right at the very top. Selecting SLU for him means playing in the semi backwaters of college hoops. Playing for Duke means he's in the bright lights from start to wherever they finish. So, if he selects the Devils, I wish him good luck for that one year he's in Durham. That said, the city of Saint Louis needs him to stay home and give the old home town one very magical year. Lord knows after Ferguson and the possibility the Rams may leave he could be a breath of fresh air.

I would never boo Tatum if he choose Duke. Arguably Duke is the top B-ball school in the country with the best coach. How could anyone possibly blame him for going to that school? If I were an 18 year old it would be a tough school to pass on. The fact that SLU is still in play is awesome. Hopefully playing in front of family and friends and the love of his home town wins out in the end.

Sorry, guys, all this talk about booing is totally unnecessary. How old is Jayson, 17? He's got a tough decision for someone twice his age. One that none of us ever had. Play for THE marquee program in college hoops or stay home to play for the local team that totally stunk up the joint last year. Remember we finished like in the 300's of D1 programs. Uh, Duke finished right at the very top. Selecting SLU for him means playing in the semi backwaters of college hoops. Playing for Duke means he's in the bright lights from start to wherever they finish. So, if he selects the Devils, I wish him good luck for that one year he's in Durham. That said, the city of Saint Louis needs him to stay home and give the old home town one very magical year. Lord knows after Ferguson and the possibility the Rams may leave he could be a breath of fresh air.

I get tired of reading stuff like this. When Tatum commits here I'd expect a pretty significant non-con schedule upgrade including a good non-con tourney to be shown on ESPN, 1 or 2 Power 6 level road games on national tv and a few games featured on CBS Sports. If we are still in the A-10, the CBS/NBC Sports and ESPN2 will go out of their way to get SLU as many games as they can. If we are in the Big East, Fox Sports will do features on him non-stop.

Yes, Duke is always on tv and ESPN loves them, but you know what the general public has been there done that with the latest version of the best freshman in the country. Every year its the same thing. They might actually find it more interesting to tune into the best freshman that didn't go the blue blood route to see what he is all about. And given the national tv opportunities we have, he'll have plenty of opportunities to be on center stage.

I would never boo Tatum if he choose Duke. Arguably Duke is the top B-ball school in the country with the best coach. How could anyone possibly blame him for going to that school? If I were an 18 year old it would be a tough school to pass on. The fact that SLU is still in play is awesome. Hopefully playing in front of family and friends and the love of his home town wins out in the end.

Thankfully, its just one or two posters saying they would do it. It in no way represents the majority of SLU fans.

I get tired of reading stuff like this. When Tatum commits here I'd expect a pretty significant non-con schedule upgrade including a good non-con tourney to be shown on ESPN, 1 or 2 Power 6 level road games on national tv and a few games featured on CBS Sports. If we are still in the A-10, the CBS/NBC Sports and ESPN2 will go out of their way to get SLU as many games as they can. If we are in the Big East, Fox Sports will do features on him non-stop.

Yes, Duke is always on tv and ESPN loves them, but you know what the general public has been there done that with the latest version of the best freshman in the country. Every year its the same thing. They might actually find it more interesting to tune into the best freshman that didn't go the blue blood route to see what he is all about. And given the national tv opportunities we have, he'll have plenty of opportunities to be on center stage.

This

My decision would be based on what school would allow me to bang the hottest chicks while providing a decent education (which is must high-major schools). You go to a school like Duke and you have a bunch of nerdy kids who want your autograph, but you go to Arizona and you have a bunch of hot chicks who want to s your d. I would never even consider a school like Duke or ND for football (a bunch of pudgy Irish Catholic dudes jocking you). So the fact that Jayson is deciding between the most elite program with the hall of fame coach and the hometown school is quite honorable.

Does Jayson really have that much cache where ESPN is going to give SLU more exposure than the blue bloods? Don't the power conferences provide ESPN too much $ to allow that to happen? I think you are being a little naive to think ESPN and sports fans are burnt out on the elite programs. I can't imagine after seeing the exposure that Kentucky got this past season that ESPN will now decide to not care about them or Duke.

Does Jayson really have that much cache where ESPN is going to give SLU more exposure than the blue bloods? Don't the power conferences provide ESPN too much $ to allow that to happen? I think you are being a little naive to think ESPN and sports fans are burnt out on the elite programs. I can't imagine after seeing the exposure that Kentucky got this past season that ESPN will now decide to not care about them or Duke.

I certainly didn't mean to imply that ESPN would provide more coverage to slu than the blue bloods but I would expect them to cover slu to the extent possible given their existing a10 TV package.

I do think CBS sports and NBC sports would make a point of featuring slu as much as possible since tatum certainly has more cache then their other college b ball offerings.

The result is a package of national TV games that is very significant.