Recruiting - 2016

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Duke will be just fine without him. SLU will be devastated for a decade or more

If we miss out on Tatum that likely means the end for the current coaching staff at SLU as we are coming off of a historically bad season without much legitimate reason for optimism going forward. If we get Jayson, that certainly changes for the 2016-2017 season, but it is hard to know whether it would have much of an impact beyond that one season. Fortunately it sounds like we are one of his final 2, so no reason for my doom and gloom at this point. Hopefully his buddy Giles is not too good of a salesman because they will be spending a lot of time together over the next month.

No body expected SLU to have a chance with FBJT so for the Billikens to be in the final two is amazing and if we do get

him to stay it would be headline news on ESPN and across the country. If he goes to Duke it won't even be a blip on the

radar and life will go on at Chaifetz..

No body expected SLU to have a chance with FBJT so for the Billikens to be in the final two is amazing and if we do get

him to stay it would be headline news on ESPN and across the country. If he goes to Duke it won't even be a blip on the

Yeah, a life with really bad basketball.

While you could say that it is amazing we are in the final 2 for the top recruit in the country, given his connections to the school and his hometown I am not sure anyone would really agree that it is amazing that we are in Tatum's final 2. The kid clearly has a love for St. Louis.

It wouldn't be headline news if he chose Duke. If it's SLU it's major news at least in college hoops circles. Could it also be that he might bring another biggie with him who might be enticed by making some earth shattering news? As Al Michaels said back in '80, Do you believe in miracles?

This is not a miracle SLU72, it is reality. We appear to be in the semifinals in this tournament for JT, may we go all the way.

And this is what scares me about Tatum cutting his list to a final two. Would feel better about our chances if he didn't announce he was cutting his list down. This feels like a way to soften the blow to people that want him to attend SLU. There is nothing amazing about finishing in second for Jayson. It is an all or nothing proposition.

I hope that this feeling is totally misplaced.

And this is what scares me about Tatum cutting his list to a final two. Would feel better about our chances if he didn't announce he was cutting his list down. This feels like a way to soften the blow to people that want him to attend SLU. There is nothing amazing about finishing in second for Jayson. It is an all or nothing proposition.

I hope that this feeling is totally misplaced.

I am excited that we have a chance and trust in Crews & Calbert & the other coaches to close the deal.

If we miss out on Tatum that likely means the end for the current coaching staff at SLU as we are coming off of a historically bad season without much legitimate reason for optimism going forward. If we get Jayson, that certainly changes for the 2016-2017 season, but it is hard to know whether it would have much of an impact beyond that one season. Fortunately it sounds like we are one of his final 2, so no reason for my doom and gloom at this point. Hopefully his buddy Giles is not too good of a salesman because they will be spending a lot of time together over the next month.

Am I the only optimist? Have I been mistakenly drinking the blue koolaid this offseason?

Yes, last year we were bad. And had it not been for the Frosh, we would have only won maybe 5 games - or less!! Reasons, of course, are many but we are not going to miss JM (I do believe injuries unfortunately prevented us from seeing what he really could do for us), GG (he didn't play a minute last year), AM (yes, he had good/decent numbers, but the team actually played better without him) or TL (I still believe he can play D1 basketball, he still has size, vision and passing ability and I do believe he might regain confidence and thrive in a different system and under a different coach). Yacoubou will likely not live up to the expectations of him coming out of high school and he certainly won't make us forget about Larry Hughes, but the rust does appear to be knocked off, he is a good/contributing starter and he is the not the reason we won only 11 games last year. As to Crawford, he does appear to be coming along, he made improvements last year, another year of strength and maturity will sure help him and I do see him being a solid contributor next year. As to Reggie, I do believe he is ready for a break out season assuming he is able to remain healthy. As to the Frosh, they carried us last year and we need them to carry us again this year as Sophs. This year, hopefully, they will do better being a year older, smarter, stronger and better prepared/ready for the college game. And without putting too much pressure on the incoming Frosh, a post presence (Neufeld) and a distributor of the basketball (Bishop) is what our team was lacking the most last year. I, for one, am expecting alot from our guys this year. Not buying into the doom and gloom and multi-year rebuild theories.

Yeah, a life with really bad basketball.

While you could say that it is amazing we are in the final 2 for the top recruit in the country, given his connections to the school and his hometown I am not sure anyone would really agree that it is amazing that we are in Tatum's final 2. The kid clearly has a love for St. Louis.

We made 3 straight NCAA tourneys without Tatum. This current group will improve. We still have one of the best stadiums in CBB. Life will go on and the basketball will recover.

Obviously getting Tatum would be awesome, but unless he can bring along additional recruits that would stay awhile and/or cause future top recruits to change their view of SLU, he is still a likely one-and-done who probably wouldn't impact the program over the long haul as much as say, a Mitchell or Jett or Evans did.

We made 3 straight NCAA tourneys without Tatum. This current group will improve. We still have one of the best stadiums in CBB. Life will go on and the basketball will recover.

Obviously getting Tatum would be awesome, but unless he can bring along additional recruits that would stay awhile and/or cause future top recruits to change their view of SLU, he is still a likely one-and-done who probably wouldn't impact the program over the long haul as much as say, a Mitchell or Jett or Evans did.

I agree with most of this. We are going to be good in 2 years with or without Tatum. The significance of getting Tatum is the doors that he opens. It tells other St. Louis recruits that they can stay home. We sell out. Funding increases. Everything is elevated.

Very well said and spot on.

I agree with most of this. We are going to be good in 2 years with or without Tatum. The significance of getting Tatum is the doors that he opens. It tells other St. Louis recruits that they can stay home. We sell out. Funding increases. Everything is elevated.

That's the hope, but it remains an IF. While not necessarily apples to apples, this did not happen with Hughes.

Put me in the camp that would boo Tatum if he picked Duke and returned with them to play a game here. I think it would be more than fair for SLU fans to express their displeasure with such a decision.

agree 100%

I'd follow Tatum's career like I do Beal's. I may root for his NBA team but I wouldn't care in the slightest. At Duke, I'd root for them if it helped my bracket. I just wouldn't really care.

Not saying I'd boo him. This is a tough decision for him, but I kind of agree with what others said yesterday. If he drags SLU through all of this and then doesn't pick us, it SEEMS like a shot at the program even if it's not.

Can you really talk this much about how much you love the city, how much it'd mean for SLU, how serious you are about SLU, and then just go with the Dukies?

I'd follow Tatum's career like I do Beal's. I may root for his NBA team but I wouldn't care in the slightest. At Duke, I'd root for them if it helped my bracket. I just wouldn't really care.

Not saying I'd boo him. This is a tough decision for him, but I kind of agree with what others said yesterday. If he drags SLU through all of this and then doesn't pick us, it SEEMS like a shot at the program even if it's not.

Can you really talk this much about how much you love the city, how much it'd mean for SLU, how serious you are about SLU, and then just go with the Dukies?

Exactly. Which is part of the reason why I think he's going to pick SLU. If he wasn't, I think he would have let us go a while ago. He knows how important this is for SLU/St. Louis, etc. and also knows that getting us to 2nd place is not a positive but rather a negative.

Put me in the camp that would boo Tatum if he picked Duke and returned with them to play a game here. I think it would be more than fair for SLU fans to express their displeasure with such a decision.

I seriously hope we don't get to see you be made a fool of and JT will decide to stay home. If he chooses Duke, he will get a standing "O" without a doubt when he returns home. He is being up front and honest about how he feels and will make the best decision for he and his family as he should. As a SLU fan, I support whatever he decides.

Should we pull a Cleveland and start burning Tatum jerseys when he announces he's taking his talents to Durham?

Exactly. Which is part of the reason why I think he's going to pick SLU. If he wasn't, I think he would have let us go a while ago. He knows how important this is for SLU/St. Louis, etc. and also knows that getting us to 2nd place is not a positive but rather a negative.

Yea I agree with this. I have talked to Illinois fans and Mizzou fans and no matter what Jayson has said or could say, they would never be convinced he is/was seriously considering us and it's only a favor to SLU. Finishing in 2nd would not help.

I would be disappointed if he picks Duke but no way could I boo a teenage kid because I dislike and disagree with the decision he made on the 1 year of college.