Recruiting - 2016

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is not a miracle SLU72, it is reality. We appear to be in the semifinals in this tournament for JT, may we go all the way.

Old Guy, if we beat out the reigning national champions headed by an iconic coach with a glorious hoops tradition that goes back to your and my salad days, it would be a freaking miracle, a dream come true, a 9 figure powerball win, a week alone with Kate Upton in hyper nympho mode on a deserted island, manna from Heaven. Take your pick. This would have to go down as the most amazing recruiting coup in the history of college sports. SI would have him on the cover (again), it would be one of ESPN's lead stories with follow up interviews, and, most likely, put Coach K in the critical care ward of Duke hospital.

Just to provide my two cents on the other side: Duke definitely seems optimistic about Tatum, but I don't think they've received any real indication that they're the favorite. From here, it seems like a coin toss between Duke and SLU. I think anyone taking a strong stance for Duke right now is basing it entirely on "we're Duke, and they're SLU."

Completely agree.

Jayson would be dead to me as well. Standing O? Heck no!!

At the same time, I would not boo. Personally, I think it was distasteful of Mizzou fans to boo Ryan Robertson every time he would touch the ball, and to me, it would make us (SLU fans) look bad as opposed to sending some type of message. Plus, out of respect for his father and godfather, I also would not boo.

Robertson got booed a couple of years ago having lunch in a restaurant in Columbia.

Old Guy, if we beat out the reigning national champions headed by an iconic coach with a glorious hoops tradition that goes back to your and my salad days, it would be a freaking miracle, a dream come true, a 9 figure powerball win, a week alone with Kate Upton in hyper nympho mode on a deserted island, manna from Heaven. Take your pick. This would have to go down as the most amazing recruiting coup in the history of college sports. SI would have him on the cover (again), it would be one of ESPN's lead stories with follow up interviews, and, most likely, put Coach K in the critical care ward of Duke hospital.

Are there any comparable situations? I know Mudiay last year committed to SMU, but never ended up there and Anthony Bennett ended up at UNLV, but that is all that comes to mind. Regardless of whether it is truly a miracle with his affinity for St. Louis and connections to SLU, it would be a monumental recruiting coup.

But that is because he went to KU. I doubt many Mizzou fans would boo Tyler Hansbrough, David Lee, or Brad Beal.

They did boo Devin Booker when he visited Columbia because his dad went to Mizzou and he picked Kentucky. And this was a kid who went to high school in Mississippi but he did have Mizzou in final 4 I believe.

Are there any comparable situations? I know Mudiay last year committed to SMU, but never ended up there and Anthony Bennett ended up at UNLV, but that is all that comes to mind. Regardless of whether it is truly a miracle with his affinity for St. Louis and connections to SLU, it would be a monumental recruiting coup.

There's Malik Newman, who chose Mississippi State over Duke, Kentucky, etc.

A few thoughts:

-I sincerely believe that Tatum is torn between these two programs, and that he's not stringing SLU along to save face for the program and/or his family. Each program offers something totally different and compelling for him. The message from him and his family has been so consistent in terms of their positivity toward SLU, and I've been impressed with both their composure and candor. While they're doing a great job handing the attention, I don't think anyone in their position is media savvy enough to have the decision 100% made by now and knowingly setting up either program for disappointment with such a game face for the press in the meantime.

-I wouldn't boo him if he came back and played a game here. I think it's obnoxious when fans point to themselves as "classy" and call out other fans for lacking "class" - but isn't it kind of ugly to boo the guy? I guess I have the perspective of a Chaminade grad and someone who thinks he's actually struggling to choose between the two, so I'm not sure what would compel someone to boo him for picking the reigning national championship program over the local team.

-Some have said we'll be fine without him; that could be true, but only if we manage to land some other serious talent in the 2016 class. I've said it a hundred times here by now, but we're not very talented right now and Crews hasn't yet shown he can coach guys up much. I don't know what plan B is for 2016, but it'd better be good if Tatum goes to Duke - if not, we're still several years from another NCAA Tournament appearance.

Question on the timing of everything. When is Peach Jam and when are the U19 World Championships? With him deciding when school is out, I wonder if he is just going to release it via twitter or have some sort of press conference.

I don't think it's too far off if he said he's down to 2 but won't release which 2. Obviously he knows and wouldn't want schools spending time if he isn't going there so the coaches may know which may lead to other people finding out.

FIBA U-19 Championships: June 27-July 5, Heraklion, Crete, Greece

Peach Jam: July 15-19, North Augusta, SC

Then Tatum will take the rest of the summer off.

-I wouldn't boo him if he came back and played a game here. I think it's obnoxious when fans point to themselves as "classy" and call out other fans for lacking "class" - but isn't it kind of ugly to boo the guy? I guess I have the perspective of a Chaminade grad and someone who thinks he's actually struggling to choose between the two, so I'm not sure what would compel someone to boo him for picking the reigning national championship program over the local team.

Lets be realistic here. If that game happened, and it won't, the crowd over the usual 7,000 would be all local Tatum/Duke supporters. It wouldn't matter if someone boo'ed or not.

Lets be realistic here. If that game happened, and it won't, the crowd over the usual 7,000 would be all local Tatum/Duke supporters. It wouldn't matter if someone boo'ed or not.

I remember the game when Tyler Hansbrough and UNC at Scottrade. The place was more than half filled with screaming hillbillies from Poplar Bluff wearing Mules gear. So any booing from the old SLU fans (not that there was any) wouldn't have made a difference.

A few thoughts:

-I sincerely believe that Tatum is torn between these two programs, and that he's not stringing SLU along to save face for the program and/or his family. Each program offers something totally different and compelling for him. The message from him and his family has been so consistent in terms of their positivity toward SLU, and I've been impressed with both their composure and candor. While they're doing a great job handing the attention, I don't think anyone in their position is media savvy enough to have the decision 100% made by now and knowingly setting up either program for disappointment with such a game face for the press in the meantime.

-Some have said we'll be fine without him; that could be true, but only if we manage to land some other serious talent in the 2016 class. I've said it a hundred times here by now, but we're not very talented right now and Crews hasn't yet shown he can coach guys up much. I don't know what plan B is for 2016, but it'd better be good if Tatum goes to Duke - if not, we're still several years from another NCAA Tournament appearance.

I don't agree with your talent comment. I think Roby-Malik and Brantley are very talented. I also think the other 3 sophmores to be have a chance to contribute. The talent on last years team was far better then the record. We just need to find out how to defend the rim.