Recruiting - 2016

To be clear, I think Tatum is an incredible talent and I really want to see him in Billiken blue. That said, you bring up an interesting point.

I really want him to come to SLU but some may be putting too much of an expectation on him. With one more year to play he will only get better. Beal lead Chaminade to only one championship. I don't remember if Florida went to the NCAA Tournament the only year he played.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really want him to come to SLU but some may be putting too much of an expectation on him. With one more year to play he will only get better. Beal lead Chaminade to only one championship. I don't remember if Florida went to the NCAA Tournament the only year he played.

Chaminade's problem is their primary ballhandler is 6'9. At a high school level that can be defended with success. McCluer North nearly beat them because of it, while North's best player would be hard pressed to start on Chaminade.

Beal was a one man team. He ran into another team with a player as nearly as good as him with a much better team.

Tatum's "struggles" at the hs level would be negated in college. Worst case scenario he has a Lamar Odom effect on a team like slu. I think he's better than that though.

Chaminade's problem is their primary ballhandler is 6'9. At a high school level that can be defended with success. McCluer North nearly beat them because of it, while North's best player would be hard pressed to start on Chaminade.

Maybe Tatum shouldn't be their primary ballhandler since Mike Lewis is arguably a better ballhandler. Hard to say whether he lacks the mindset to play point guard or whether he just hasn't been given the opportunity.

In any case, Chaminade has been one-dimensional all year in close games down the stretch. Tatum normally has the ball in hands in crunch time and takes almost all of the shots. The problem with hero ball is that when the hero doesn't come through, no one else is psychologically prepared to step up. You end up with a situation where a talented kid like Reggie Crawford takes one or two meaningful shots all season.

Yes terrible I idea to have your best player (one of the best in the country) take your final shot.

I think the point is that when that becomes your only option and the opposition is fully aware of it, it decreases the statistical likelihood of a successful outcome at the end of a one basket game versus a situation in which there are multiple end of game scoring options. It's really just math.

It's really hard for me to evaluate Gooch at his present toothpick size. If he can gain muscle in college, we may be looking at a fundamentally different player. He is outplaying taller,stronger kids at 6'6 170. What's he going to do as a 6'7 200lb college swingman?

To me he looks like a kid who will get stronger. He is thin now, but he looks like someone who will grow into the long lean muscle type player. Neither Bartley or Gillmann have that appearance to me. I wonder if they are capable of putting on muscle until their early 20s.

I was also surprised to read we haven't been in contact with Goodwin and that until now no one has except Lindenwood and some other small school. Is he not thought of as a prospect? He looks like he could be a Donnie Dobbs type player. If he grew a few inches everyone would be after him.

Yes terrible I idea to have your best player (one of the best in the country) take your final shot.

Having your best player take your final shot -- good percentage play. Having your best player go one-one the final 3 minutes of the game and abandoning any semblance of an offense when you've got at least 3 other D-1 players on your team -- waste of talent. It's a rampant pattern throughout all of high school basketball, not just Chaminade. High school superteams routinely lose to less talented teams in the playoffs by playing hero ball, year after year, state after state. It's almost comical.

Beal was a one man team. He ran into another team with a player as nearly as good as him with a much better team.

Not sure I agree with the 2nd part of that. Chaminade was undefeated heading into that game including a blowout win over McCluer North on ESPNU a few weeks earlier. McCluer North pulled the upset by 1 after trailing most of the game, but going on a 4th quarter run led by BJ Young with Beal on the bench with 4 fouls. Really tough one to watch seeing Beal on the bench as McCluer North made their run, but BJ Young stepped up and played an awesome game.

Chaminade losing yesterday is pretty pathetic.

To me he looks like a kid who will get stronger. He is thin now, but he looks like someone who will grow into the long lean muscle type player. Neither Bartley or Gillmann have that appearance to me. I wonder if they are capable of putting on muscle until their early 20s.

I was also surprised to read we haven't been in contact with Goodwin and that until now no one has except Lindenwood and some other small school. Is he not thought of as a prospect? He looks like he could be a Donnie Dobbs type player. If he grew a few inches everyone would be after him.

All the D-1 sophomores are getting mail from their local schools. Only the sophomores who project as high major guys are actually being offered by the high mid-majors at this point. What if you offer a Donnie Dobbs type player and he accepts while another kid at his position grows two inches over the summer and projects as a better college player? Happens all the time.

I'm more curious as to why Tarkus Ferguson, a junior who could be a rotation guy in the Valley right now, doesn't have a handful of Valley offers. Usually means grades are an issue.

Maybe Tatum shouldn't be their primary ballhandler since Mike Lewis is arguably a better ballhandler. Hard to say whether he lacks the mindset to play point guard or whether he just hasn't been given the opportunity.

Mikey Lewis really struggles playing the point against any sort of pressure defense and defending quick pgs (the Ritter and ESL games come to mind as games he was exposed). He is definitely a scoring guard in a point guard body. Chaminade could really use a quick pg to initiate the offense and defend.

Having your best player take your final shot -- good percentage play. Having your best player go one-one the final 3 minutes of the game and abandoning any semblance of an offense when you've got at least 3 other D-1 players on your team -- waste of talent. It's a rampant pattern throughout all of high school basketball, not just Chaminade. High school superteams routinely lose to less talented teams in the playoffs by playing hero ball, year after year, state after state. It's almost comical.

Well said.

I have U-verse cable and I get to see high school state championships in Michigan, Texas, California, Missouri, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Arizona, Indiana, and Wisconsin and what you stated is absolutely true. It can be frustrating when I'm pulling for certain teams.

SLU recruiting a big man for 2016, Aric Holman, who will be attending prep school next year...don't know whether it was mentioned earlier in this thread.

Owensboro, KY, is only an hour from Evansville, IN, so that's Crews-Cheney territory...

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/2015/03/18/aric-holman-recruiting-update-state-tournament/24971301/

These kids weren't even born when Cheaney was at Indiana and Crews was taking Evansville to the tournament. Even their parents might not have been college-age yet. I know Crawford is from Indiana and committed early, but I have always thought people on here overrate the "Indiana pipeline" idea.

It will be interesting to see who Mizzou hires for tehir open asst spot. One of the candidates would put them in the running for several of the best area prospects.