Recruiting - 2016

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tatum and Miles Reynolds were tweeting back and forth the other day FWIW

Tatum sometimes tweets back and forth with Roby as well. Obviously, can't hurt to have a few guys he knows on the team.

Someone should tweet this article to Tatum:

Data suggests top-10 prospects are virtually guaranteed to make NBA

Doesn't matter where you go to school as a top 10 prospect, you are basically already an NBA player. Might as well stay home.

Also, when Calipari gets credit for putting so many players in the NBA. Feel free to call bullcrap because a majority of those guys were already NBAers.

Tyler Cook at 73.

I know others disagree, but I wish we had offered sooner.

Cook has really developed over the summer. I was 50/50 on him but apparently there are reports that his fitness is top notch now. That was always the hangup. With his bodytype he has to be in excellent shape because he's short for his position and his game is post game is on the floor. He's really improved some of his ballhandling and jump shooting and now he's a real high major prospect.

Tatum sometimes tweets back and forth with Roby as well. Obviously, can't hurt to have a few guys he knows on the team.

Someone should tweet this article to Tatum:

Data suggests top-10 prospects are virtually guaranteed to make NBA

Doesn't matter where you go to school as a top 10 prospect, you are basically already an NBA player. Might as well stay home.

Also, when Calipari gets credit for putting so many players in the NBA. Feel free to call bullcrap because a majority of those guys were already NBAers.

Agreed re: Calipari. He's a great recruiter, but he doesn't really develop talent. Guys coming out of Kentucky generally aren't much better than they were going in to Kentucky. And, hell, one of the guys mentioned in that article (Poythress) is a pretty compelling argument for not going to Kentucky: Poythress was a stud coming out of high school, then would've probably gone in the lottery had he left after his first year. But he stayed, and Calipari brought in a new stable of top recruits, all of whom wanted playing time. So Poythress had his time cut and regressed as a player, to the point where he was probably a (late?) second round talent after this last year. Now Calipari is bringing in a new stable, and the process looks like it's going to play out again, with Poythress (unless he has a hell of a bounce-back year) probably falling out of the draft completely after this season.

That's the risk you take with Calipari. If you stay, you can be guaranteed that he'll have at least one or two guys coming in behind you who want (and will probably be given) your minutes.

And for what it's worth, a similar storyline just played itself out over at UNC (another Tatum contender). There, it wasn't so much that McAdoo was crowded out by top recruits, but that he just never really developed as expected, and Roy kept getting him to come back to school. He would've been lottery after his first year, but finally went undrafted last month. That's a lot of money left on the table.

On the other hand, SLU has done pretty well with developing talent in recent years. And I feel pretty confident that 1) Tatum wouldn't be crowded out by a new wave of top-10 prospects and 2) Crews wouldn't lean on Tatum to stay if he had a lottery slot lined up. So, hey, something to think about.

(I'm not usually into bashing other programs - especially in the recruiting context - but I think it's a pretty big deal when these kids are leaving millions on the table unnecessarily. That's life-changing money.)

Agreed re: Calipari. He's a great recruiter, but he doesn't really develop talent. Guys coming out of Kentucky generally aren't much better than they were going in to Kentucky. And, hell, one of the guys mentioned in that article (Poythress) is a pretty compelling argument for not going to Kentucky: Poythress was a stud coming out of high school, then would've probably gone in the lottery had he left after his first year. But he stayed, and Calipari brought in a new stable of top recruits, all of whom wanted playing time. So Poythress had his time cut and regressed as a player, to the point where he was probably a (late?) second round talent after this last year. Now Calipari is bringing in a new stable, and the process looks like it's going to play out again, with Poythress (unless he has a hell of a bounce-back year) probably falling out of the draft completely after this season.

That's the risk you take with Calipari. If you stay, you can be guaranteed that he'll have at least one or two guys coming in behind you who want (and will probably be given) your minutes.

And for what it's worth, a similar storyline just played itself out over at UNC (another Tatum contender). There, it wasn't so much that McAdoo was crowded out by top recruits, but that he just never really developed as expected, and Roy kept getting him to come back to school. He would've been lottery after his first year, but finally went undrafted last month. That's a lot of money left on the table.

On the other hand, SLU has done pretty well with developing talent in recent years. And I feel pretty confident that 1) Tatum wouldn't be crowded out by a new wave of top-10 prospects and 2) Crews wouldn't lean on Tatum to stay if he had a lottery slot lined up. So, hey, something to think about.

(I'm not usually into bashing other programs - especially in the recruiting context - but I think it's a pretty big deal when these kids are leaving millions on the table unnecessarily. That's life-changing money.)

Agree. Look at what one stellar year did for the legend. Had he gone to Syracuse, as was rumored, would he have been the main attraction he was at SLU? Probably not and, therefore, wouldn't have been a lottery pick. Something for Tatum to consider.

Agree. Look at what one stellar year did for the legend. Had he gone to Syracuse, as was rumored, would he have been the main attraction he was at SLU? Probably not and, therefore, wouldn't have been a lottery pick. Something for Tatum to consider.

Tatum would receive significantly more exposure at UK, KU, or Duke and end up a lottery pick, so not sure that is the best argument for why he should come to SLU.

Tatum would receive significantly more exposure at UK, KU, or Duke and end up a lottery pick, so not sure that is the best argument for why he should come to SLU.

Tatum will likely be a lottery pick regardless of where he goes to school. The same would have been true of Larry. The argument for going to SLU is that you can either be just another one-and-done at KU, UK, or Duke, or be THE GUY at SLU and a local legend for many years after.

Tatum will likely be a lottery pick regardless of where he goes to school. The same would have been true of Larry. The argument for going to SLU is that you can either be just another one-and-done at KU, UK, or Duke, or be THE GUY at SLU and a local legend for many years after.

Exactly. Now we just need Jim Reynolds to ensure his son gets a top flight teammate.

+1

Tatum could play intramurals at the rec and be a top 5 draft pick at this point.

Go to SLU and be a legend. Or go to UK and be just another one and done.

Suppose a top level recruit gets injured his freshman year and can't really showcase his skills to validate a lottery pick spot in the draft. At SLU, he can return for a sophomore year where he will still be the stud of the program and have all the playing time he needs to showcase his talent. At UK, KU, or Duke, he'll have to fight for minutes with four or five new lottery picks coming in plus on the cusp guys that also stay another year to improve their stock.

With all the media info out there exposure at UK, KU, or Duke doesn't mean squat to NBA scouts. They know where all the good one's are playing. I think it's a long shot we land JT, and it doesn't have anything to do with his draft status, it has to do with elite status of the schools chasing him.

With all the media info out there exposure at UK, KU, or Duke doesn't mean squat to NBA scouts. They know where all the good one's are playing. I think it's a long shot we land JT, and it doesn't have anything to do with his draft status, it has to do with elite status of the schools chasing him.

as the #1 recruit in the country he has nothing to prove signing with an elite school. if he were like #30 then yes. everybody already knows he's the best regardless of where he goes. it would be more newsworthy if the #1 recruit chose SLU over the big dogs. top story on sports center

as the #1 recruit in the country he has nothing to prove signing with an elite school. if he were like #30 then yes. everybody already knows he's the best regardless of where he goes. it would be more newsworthy if the #1 recruit chose SLU over the big dogs. top story on sports center

Yes! Give it to me!!

as the #1 recruit in the country he has nothing to prove signing with an elite school. if he were like #30 then yes. everybody already knows he's the best regardless of where he goes. it will be newsworthy when the #1 recruit picks SLU over the big dogs. top story on sports center

-corrected

Look, I hope we land the #1 recruit in the country, but you have to admit this is a very, very, very long shot.

Sure its a long shot, but if there was ever a time we actually had a shot at the #1 recruit in the nation it is now. The #1 recruit in the country is from St. Louis and his father played at SLU and his godfather lived what he hopes to live taking his talents to SLU. We will likely never have an opportunity like this again.

Look, I hope we land the #1 recruit in the country, but you have to admit this is a very, very, very long shot.

It is. But, at worst, this is good publicity for our program. Word gets around quickly about who is considering what schools, which schools offered which players, etc. To be a real contender for a kid like Tatum is going to put our program on the map for some kids, and reinforce our program's positive momentum in the minds of others. So maybe we pull off the huge upset and land Tatum. Or, more likely, maybe a strong showing in his recruitment helps us land a quality recruit or two on the back end. There's a lot of upside either way.

And don't forget the snowball effect ...... what others might say "hey, I want to play with him" and come to SLU. Like the Heat's Big Three for example.

I know when Hughes signed on, it kept Baniak and Tatum home but it also reeled Chris Heinrich in. When else would we have been considerd by a 6'10" kid from the Philly suburbs? Justin Love was rumored to sign on so he too could play with Hughes. Of course, that never happened. Hughes' signing rumored us in on Quentin Richardson (DePaul) and Pete Mickeal (Cincinnati). The shoulda-coulda-wouldas were endless back then and we were all giddy.

I agree with the stance that a #1 kid will always be a #1 kid no matter where he goes. But the chances are diminished when he goes with a bunch of other Mickey D AAs to the bigger pond like UK, Duke and so on in a weird, "twisted-logic" sort of way. I'll bet the reception for Hughes in and around St. Louis is a lot better than it is for Parker in Durham, Wiggins in Lawrence (he'll never go back), or Randle in Lexington.