Tanner Lancona

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as I like and appreciate NH's input and opinion, it seems to me he has a bit of Vtime in him. Not as over the top with local players, but he gets out and watches them play and maybe tends to overrate them a little. It's probably understandable.

For example he states it's not even close with Berry and Lancona despite at least one of the scouting services rating them close. He's seen Berry play 30+ times. I wonder how many times he's seen Lancona play. Is there a chance that if he'd have seen Lancona play 30 times and Berry only on some clips, he'd be rating Lancona better? I believe there is

The holes created with the departure of CE and CR are opening the door for Tanner and Reggie. I can see Loe and Manning as interchangeable parts. It is hard to imagine both on the floor at the same time in a lot of games. Unless Glaze has a big improvement in shooting range, Tanner and Reggie should play a lot. Being freshmen and trying to catch up with the speed of the college game and the demands of man to man defense, they are going to have games where they get in early foul trouble. Tanner in particular is not going to get by with some of the stuff he did at the high school level.

When we had trouble scoring this year it was often against a zone with a well disciplined athletic post player that made it tough to get the ball to Evans and if our 3 point shooters were all cold, they could double down on him and we got stuck in the mud. Fortunately for us there are not a lot of teams with disciplined athletic post players. The need for the 3 will give Tanner a great opportunity.

The other thing that will be interesting to watch is the development of Reggie. Reggie gives Crews a new post up option. He is a much bigger target than Evans and if Evans gains more confidence in his 3 point shot, we could have a lot of fun.

Loe is a shooting Euro-big. Manning is a conventional, in-the-paint American big. Those are NOT interchangable parts.

As a matter of fact, IF Manning were to improve enough, I could see him and Loe on the floor at limited times with Loe at the four and Manning at the five. I believe that wil be limited if ever at all -- the history of this program is that when we do have two seven-footers (approx.) on the roster at the same time, they never see the floor together (Husak/Voyoukous and Al-Mateen/Craig).

I agree with TaJ on the Manning and Loe thing - they absolutely are not interchangeable - anybody seen Manning step out and shoot 3s? - I don't think so. Our recent past experience with players who went the Prep route has been that they are pretty much ready to play early on - Jett and Liddel come to mind. I have no reason not to believe that Reggie won't see minutes right away and the minutes should increase as the season goes on - how much who knows. Yes I know we needed Jett to play right away but he would have gotten decent minutes even if KM was there. Glaze is not going to improve his shooting range - he is what he is - a banger and garbage bucket man and that is fine with me as long as he fights for rebounds and is able to get a few close buckets a game. How many minutes he will play next year - who knows but it will probably be at least the same amount but my guess is maybe more. I actually see GG as somewhat interchangeable to CR when CR was playing PF. The guard we get will be very important in my mind. Even if he is a transfer he has to be ready to play the next year from day one. If he is a 4 year man then he has to be able to pick up a few minutes to spell JJ and MM and learn the offense. If he is a Juco guy then he has to play right away and be ready to take control the next year and teach the young guards his senior year.

Loe is a shooting Euro-big. Manning is a conventional, in-the-paint American big. Those are NOT interchangable parts.

As a matter of fact, IF Manning were to improve enough, I could see him and Loe on the floor at limited times with Loe at the four and Manning at the five. I believe that wil be limited if ever at all -- the history of this program is that when we do have two seven-footers (approx.) on the roster at the same time, they never see the floor together (Husak/Voyoukous and Al-Mateen/Craig).

Baniak/Heinrich?

Man, I still have to get used to the new abbreviations. TL is still Tommie Liddell in my mind. RA always makes me think, "No, it's RO for Randy Onwuasor" because I've been reading so much about him lately now that Agbeko's been official for a while.

RA, TL, and MC - I'll get used to it soon enough. Who will be next- RO? PJ? AY? Or - uh oh - another RA?!

Man, I still have to get used to the new abbreviations. TL is still Tommie Liddell in my mind. RA always makes me think, "No, it's RO for Randy Onwuasor" because I've been reading so much about him lately now that Agbeko's been official for a while.

RA, TL, and MC - I'll get used to it soon enough. Who will be next- RO? PJ? AY? Or - uh oh - another RA?!

Let's just go ahead and do TLIII for Tommie. He'd want it that way.

that's why we shouldnt utilize the flawed skip initial system. we should gravitate to the first name (with a last name initial only if there is a player with the same first name).

that's why we shouldnt utilize the flawed skip initial system. we should gravitate to the first name (with a last name initial only if there is a player with the same first name).

So you'd like to refer to them as Mike, Dwayne, Rob, Randy, Tanner L, and so forth? It is clearer than initials. What about last names? No ambiguity there.

By stating that Loe and Manning are interchangeable, I did not mean to suggest that manning will drill 3 point shots, though he has decent range on his jumper. For that matter, Loe only averages about one 3 a game, which means he had a number of games with no threes. What I mean by interchangeable is when one comes out, the other is likely to go in, as I don’t think you will see both on the floor very often.

I think TL will play much more than RA at first

A number of posters said Brad Thompson would play more than Willie Reed their freshman year. We really don't know If he plays much more then RA is not as far along as some of us think. If he plays more maybe it will be because he has more basketball experience.

A number of posters said Brad Thompson would play more than Willie Reed their freshman year. We really don't know If he plays much more then RA is not as far along as some of us think. If he plays more maybe it will be because he has more basketball experience.

The one thing that makes me believe we will see plenty of both of these players is that in my mind they will follow the footsteps of two graduating seniors--Cody and Cory. Our two new fellows will fill different roles like Cody and Cory. RA is reputed to be a very tough rebounder and inside player who has played against tough competition in the prep school arena and has more than held his own. That makes me believe he will get minutes off the bench as a rebounder and inside player. Tanner is a Cody type player but bigger and stronger than Cody as a frosh so I could see him getting some of Cody's minutes. At times, it would not surprise me to see both of them in the game with Dwayne as our front line.

So you'd like to refer to them as Mike, Dwayne, Rob, Randy, Tanner L, and so forth? It is clearer than initials. What about last names? No ambiguity there.

What if we get two Agbekos or, if he comes, two Onwuasors? Or for that matter two Yacoubous? What then, huh? Huh?

I would hope these two don't get major minutes this year. If they do it means that Grandy and Manning are not improving at all.

I would be happy with Barnett-like minutes.