Recruiting - 2013

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In the quest to reach 200, I'll go ahead and say "Welcome Mr. Yacabou!" Staff continues their impressive work.

So between McBroom and Yacoubou, we now have our starting backcourt set for 2014/15 and 2015/16 with two seasoned guards who can shoot the ball.

David, is McBroom an experienced PG? I thought he was primarily a 2 at CM. Not to say he can't be converted, but I'd still love to see a PG pickup with that last scholie.

As for AY, anyone else thinking we might have just picked up our version of a Wyatt from Temple? 6'4" is very good sized, and this kid's sculpted. If we get RO we'd have a 6'3" pg a 6'4" 2guard and a pretty big front line of two 6'9"'s and assume JM as C at 7' for the '14-15 season. Don't like to get ahead of myself because this upcoming season's promises to be another wonderful ride for the Bills, but the following season could be really special.

David, is McBroom an experienced PG? I thought he was primarily a 2 at CM. Not to say he can't be converted, but I'd still love to see a PG pickup with that last scholie.

As for AY, anyone else thinking we might have just picked up our version of a Wyatt from Temple? 6'4" is very good sized, and this kid's sculpted. If we get RO we'd have a 6'3" pg a 6'4" 2guard and a pretty big front line of two 6'9"'s and assume JM as C at 7' for the '14-15 season. Don't like to get ahead of myself because this upcoming season's promises to be another wonderful ride for the Bills, but the following season could be really special.

I've heard that McBroom really plays the role of floor general in practice, leading to the idea that he is definitely a point guard.

As for AY-Wyatt comparison, I don't see it at all. Wyatt was a much better ball handler and creator than it appears Ash is. Ash is stronger, with the potential to be a much better defender. That said, time will tell.

The important thing is that we did not stop the party. Neighsayers wanted us to shut this thread down because everyone gave a detailed description of every class they took at SLU like there was something wrong with that but we kept on. We didn't give up we never stopped that Party.

Great class by Coach Crews. He was not the sexy choice and oh so many of you guys just knew he wouldn't be able to recruit. Oh so many of you guys said he needed to go out and hire a flashy assistant or we were toast. Well what say you now? On the court it still must be proven but I think that we can say this class in recruiting ratings/expectations has exceeded just about every other class I can think of.

anyone else curious as to why his playing time dwindled towards the end of the year? anyone have any insight?

First of all welcome Ash to a very good recruiting class.

According to a friend who was on Nova staff. Ash lost minutes due to how small roster was; Only 1 (Yarou 6'10") impact player over 6'6" in the rotation and he was a faceup player. Hilliard (6'6") began to emerge at the 2 spot as well. Starting lineup went 6'3", 6'6", 6'6", 6'6", 6'10", and even less size off the bench.

anyone else curious as to why his playing time dwindled towards the end of the year? anyone have any insight?

There's always a basketful of reasons why a coach benches a player. Nova simply may have had better options, but my guess is a conflict of personalities due to lack of playing time. Nothing like a fresh start to fix the blues. He comes here and works his butt off, we'll all be happy Billikens. Let's not look for negatives at this point.

Great class by Coach Crews. He was not the sexy choice and oh so many of you guys just knew he wouldn't be able to recruit. Oh so many of you guys said he needed to go out and hire a flashy assistant or we were toast. Well what say you now? On the court it still must be proven but I think that we can say this class in recruiting ratings/expectations has exceeded just about every other class I can think of.

I admit it. He has exceeded my expectations in recruiting so far. I thought he was a nice guy, but seriously questioned what he or several members of his staff had that would make players want to play for them. I thought he would be Brad Soderberg 2.0 with regards to recruiting. Apparently they might have more going for them than I thought.

Not to be a downer, but I remember being impressed with Soderberg's late recruiting push after he was hired. I think this haul is better, but there are some similarities. Both classes had a transfer from Villanova (Brad had Reggie Bryant, Crews got Yacoubou), and a player that initially signed with a BCS conference school (Justin Johnson for Brad, Tanner Lancona for Crews). Beyond that, it's Izik Ohanon and Anthony Drejaj vs Mike Crawford and Reggie Agbeko. Regardless, hopefully Crews can do what Majerus did and Brad couldn't; put together consecutive good recruiting classes.

There's always a basketful of reasons why a coach benches a player. Nova simply may have had better options, but my guess is a conflict of personalities due to lack of playing time. Nothing like a fresh start to fix the blues. He comes here and works his butt off, we'll all be happy Billikens. Let's not look for negatives at this point.

And in his first year playing as a Bill he will help us beat our new Big East conference opponent, Nova.

I think this sets up well-I think 3 guards next year is all you need, not 4. Especially since two of our 3s can probably pull a few minutes as a 2 guard. Then the following year with all those scholarships to give we bring in 1 PG and 1 combo PG/SG as freshmen to support AM & AY in their Junior years.

For all those who say this is or might be the best recruiting class in a long time, I agree completely, of course that is all based on expectations which is all you have available at this time, JC has more than recovered from a poor recruiting class of JD & KC.

However, I guess we should temper our hopes since we will only finish 3rd behind U Mass (can that CBS guy be serious/sober) and a weakened VCU! What part of returning 4 of 5 starters including our best player is he not able to understand?

And in his first year playing as a Bill he will help us beat our new Big East conference opponent, Nova.

I think this sets up well-I think 3 guards next year is all you need, not 4. Especially since two of our 3s can probably pull a few minutes as a 2 guard. Then the following year with all those scholarships to give we bring in 1 PG and 1 combo PG/SG as freshmen to support AM & AY in their Junior years.

For all those who say this is or might be the best recruiting class in a long time, I agree completely, of course that is all based on expectations which is all you have available at this time, JC has more than recovered from a poor recruiting class of JD & KC.

However, I guess we should temper our hopes since we will only finish 3rd behind U Mass (can that CBS guy be serious/sober) and a weakened VCU! What part of returning 4 of 5 starters including our best player is he not able to understand?

Didn't get that one either. Chaz will play all 5 positions?