Recruiting - 2013

Maybe this is just the negativity that comes with being a Billiken fan but I'm not loving our chances on either one of these guys. I worry about Lancona falling in love with playing the Big 12 despite the fact that it's not that good of a conference. Kind of the same thing as the Pac 12 which he originally committed to. Randy O might want to be the star of his team from day 1. I wish he had committed right after his visit or after we had the in house visit earlier this week.

Get these 2 guys and it's really a pretty incredible recruiting class considering the late start on recruiting. We'll find out in a couple years just how good this class actually is, but adding these 2 makes it look pretty good on paper.

It does seem like we're in the final 2 or 3 for both of these guys and that's a promising sign. I guess I've just seen too many unlucky things happen in my time as a fan. Hopefully we get them both. 50% chance we get them. 50% chance we don't if my math is correct.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Weber has proven he can recruit...now coaching that talent is another thing altogether.

I disagree. weber won consistently with lesser talented players at siu. he got to the championship game at illinois with bill self's players. the illinois recruits after that near national championship were maybe talented on paper but questionable character and heart. they (the players) ultimately did no better with groce some big wins, but seemed like just as many disappointing bad losses.

i say weber can coach, he cant recruit at a high level.

Best comparison so far, based on the video, scouting reports, and raw numbers (6-8, maybe 6-9 and 225) I've seen. He plays taller than Cody. In fact, we always say how Majerus teams were listed shorter than they really are; Cody's the one who always struck me as listed taller. 6-8? I never believed it.

Chris Sloan tweeted at him. Funny.

I disagree. weber won consistently with lesser talented players at siu. he got to the championship game at illinois with bill self's players. the illinois recruits after that near national championship were maybe talented on paper but questionable character and heart. they (the players) ultimately did no better with groce some big wins, but seemed like just as many disappointing bad losses.i say weber can coach, he cant recruit at a high level.

Fair points although when you say he won with lesser talents at SIUC I would argue that it was comparable to or superior to the rest of the Valley schools.

BenW mentioned a renewed interest. Were we on this kid before?

Yes he was 6'8 as a freshman and looked like a good prospect but hasn't improved much. Not sure he had interest in playing for Majerus either.

Jon Severe, a 3-star SG from Brooklyn, was set to choose between Pitt, West Virginia, Wake Forest, Rutgers, and Fordham. He chose Fordham. I wonder how fans of those other 4 schools feel about "losing" a recruit to Fordham.

Denzel promised him a walk-on part in his next film.

@BWeixScout: #SLU was in to see 2014 PG JayQuan McCloud today, per Mike Mullins.

His name alone should give him an extra star on the recruiting scale. Focking awesome name. Just rolls off the tongue.

Updated:

Offers:

-Hakim Saintil, PG: 5-11, 170, Roselle Catholic HS, Roselle, NJ. Offers: SLU and Fairfield. Possible offers: Rhode Island, South Carolina, Cincinnati, and SMU. Prep school a possibility.

-Jordan Strawberry, PG: 6-1, 170, Mater Dei HS, Santa Ana, CA. Offers: SLU, UC-Riverside, and at least 2 others. Claims interest from Arizona, Virginia Tech, Gonzaga, California, and Florida State.

-Daishon Knight, PG-SG: 6-1, 170, Odessa CC, Odessa, TX. Eligible immediately as junior. Offers: SLU, Murray State, Illinois State. Possible offers: Creighton, Colorado State. Interest from Texas State and Baylor.

-Randy Onwuasor, PG: 6-3, 190, Inglewood HS, Inglewood, CA. Offers: SLU, UC-Irvine, Cal State-Fullerton, and possibly Seton Hall and Miami-Ohio. Interest from Florida State, Arkansas, UNLV, Tulane, New Mexico State, Utah, and Pitt.

-Tanner Lancona, PF: 6-9, 225, Tesoro HS, Las Flores, CA. Decommitted from Washington State. Fresh offers: SLU, Clemson, Kansas State, Colorado State, BYU, and Penn State. Earlier offers: UC-Santa Barbara, Pacific, Pepperdine, Jacksonville, UC-Davis, San Francisco, Loyola-Marymount, Northern Arizona, Idaho, Idaho State, and Santa Clara.

Others:

-Achraf Yacoubou, SG: 6-4, 210, Villanova. Transfer eligible as junior in 2014-2015. Interested in SLU, Pitt, Georgia Tech, Miami, and UNLV.

-Brett Jolly, PF-C: 6-10, Carroll HS, Southlake, TX. Offers: Weber State. Interest from SLU, Air Force, Belmont, Bucknell, Lehigh, Furman, North Texas, Penn, Tulsa, Sam Houston State, and Wichita State.

Looking for updates from the last couple days:

-Saintil was asked if he had made a decision by the coach of Berkeley College (NJ) Men's Basketball, and whether he'd be back this summer. All he said was "na I didn't make a decision yet and i hope so coach thanks !" Nothing else really with him, except that prom is this weekend. I'm officially a massive creep.

-Strawberry had a few Tweets after his visit:

Joel Austin @ja7608 23 Apr

@AustinMcbroom: Shout out to my Cali dude @jstrawberry_034 on his visit at SLU. Hear Ramsey now. Jordair to Jordan back to Jordair. JAMTIME

Retweeted by jordan strawberry
jordan strawberry @jstrawberry_034 23 Apr

Time to fly home ✈ had a good visit out here!

-Tanner Lancona - as stated before - says that he's deciding by May 5th. Most on Twitter say that SLU, Kansas State, Colorado State, BYU, and Penn State are the fresh offers. We know that SLU and K-State will be the visits, in that order. Colorado State is trying to squeeze one in and K-State is visiting his home this week. He seems excited for the STL barbecue:

tanner lancona @tjlancona 12h

@SLU_Billikens @SLU_Official thanks everyone really appreciate all the words. I will hit up the BBQ for sure!

Ok @SLU_Billikens @SLU_Official thanks for the hot spots to hit up. Sounds like a very cool city.

-Brett Jolly visited Air Force and is back:

beej @B_jjolly 23 Apr

Air Force was pretty sweet.... Back to SLC in the morning ! http://instagram.com/p/YeNigANVF9/

-Someone asked Daishon Knight whether he has a top 3. His answer: "yes."

-Still silent on the Yacoubou front. Nothing new for Randy O, just the upcoming Miami-Ohio and Seton Hall visits we've discussed. And that Miami's coach went to see him at home yesterday:

Ben Weixlmann @BWeixScout 13h

Miami-Ohio head coach John Cooper was in California to check out 2013 PG Randy Onwuasor tonight.

ahh the digital world we live in. All of the recruiting posts are much appreciated Pistol, certainly helps keep track off all this nonsense. I hope they bring the LOI to pappys and Lancona signs it right there BBQ sauce stains and all