Rankings and Stuff

SLU7881

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think 2 weeks ago, I said we need to win these 2 games to get ranked. Right on target. Bizzle is correct in that there are some other scenarios where we could squeak in. How about let's win 2 and leave no doubt. 2 wins puts us in low 20's....2 big wins (double digits spreads for both games) and we could make teens.

There is a fair chance where we could do that against VCU(double digits)....but I am still concerned about Butler. I think Butler will be our 2nd toughest game of the season all things considered. The good news is we are not ranked and will come in as an underdog....bad news is that's it's their place and they have seen us once already.

Let's just take 2.

I almost feel like VCU could be the tougher game of the two. We aren't invincible at home this year, as Santa Clara and Rhode Island have demonstrated. VCU, like SLU, is red hot: 5 wins in a row, and 3 of those weren't even close. The A10 refs have never given us too much in the way of home cooking, so some of the slapping and grabbing that goes along with the Havoc defense might be allowed. They're 14th in the country in scoring, too, partially due to their being built to capitalize on turnovers and score in bunches.

Butler, on the other hand, just lost a home game last week. They barely beat GW and never ran away from Fordham, either. Two starters recently returned from injury and they have a serious problem with depth. We've already beaten them once this season in very convincing fashion. It seems like we match up pretty well with them.

I almost feel like VCU could be the tougher game of the two. We aren't invincible at home this year, as Santa Clara and Rhode Island have demonstrated. VCU, like SLU, is red hot: 5 wins in a row, and 3 of those weren't even close. The A10 refs have never given us too much in the way of home cooking, so some of the slapping and grabbing that goes along with the Havoc defense might be allowed. They're 14th in the country in scoring, too, partially due to their being built to capitalize on turnovers and score in bunches.

Butler, on the other hand, just lost a home game last week. They barely beat GW and never ran away from Fordham, either. Two starters recently returned from injury and they have a serious problem with depth. We've already beaten them once this season in very convincing fashion. It seems like we match up pretty well with them.

They will both be tough games....we have a slight edge because we are at home. And that edge is not just the 10,000 fans but familar sightlines, baskets, no travel etc. Plus they haven't seen us.

Just win 2.

Bigger leap in the AP than I'd expected. Flattering. I wonder if we would still get in going 1-1 this week.

Doesn't matter.

The question we should be asking is what will our SOS, RPI and BPI be if we go 2-0 vs. 1-1 vs. 0-2. How some writers think in mid-February makes no difference.

The 2 computer based rankings have us much higher than the ones done by people. Tells you how much past history and perception matter

The computer based rankings factor in margin of victory, which helps SLU.

The RPI - which the NCAA selection committee uses when evaluating team resumes - does not factor in margin of victory, so the humans trying to predict the field are going to use RPI.

Bottom line: The field is seeded according to RPI, but the computer rankings are more relevant in terms of predicting future outcome. Ideally SLU draws a first round opponent that is over-rated according to RPI.

VCU concerns me way more than Butler. We'll handle Butler, even at Hinkle.

VCU concerns me way more than Butler. We'll handle Butler, even at Hinkle.

Butler is going to be fired up looking for payback and the calls are going their way (Ellis will not get the charge calls he gets at Chaifetz), but I concur we match up well against Butler. Evans > Jones. SLU has a deep bench, Butler has a short bench. SLU has 3 legit point guards, Butler has a shooting guard playing point out of necessity.

I expect Butler's coaching staff to have something up their sleeve to limit these matchup problems, but I like our chances.

Honestly of all the games, I'm most worried about La Salle on Senior Day. Tyreek Duren and Ramon Galloway are ballers.

Butler is going to be fired up looking for payback and the calls are going their way (Ellis will not get the charge calls he gets at Chaifetz), but I concur we match up well against Butler. Evans > Jones. SLU has a deep bench, Butler has a short bench. SLU has 3 legit point guards, Butler has a shooting guard playing point out of necessity.

I expect Butler's coaching staff to have something up their sleeve to limit these matchup problems, but I like our chances.

Honestly of all the games, I'm most worried about La Salle on Senior Day. Tyreek Duren and Ramon Galloway are ballers.

We have LaSalle at home and this team will be playing hard as that is the last regular season game. I like our chances at home at LaSalle.

We have LaSalle at home and this team will be playing hard as that is the last regular season game. I like our chances at home at LaSalle.

+1

I like LaS too and think they have a decent chance at a bid (43%). But I, too, like our chances at home against them. We will be favored to win. That game may be more important to them than to us.

Just win 2.

Doesn't matter.

The question we should be asking is what will our SOS, RPI and BPI be if we go 2-0 vs. 1-1 vs. 0-2. How some writers think in mid-February makes no difference.

BPI is just a metric that ESPN recently put together. My guess is that selection committee members will refer to KenPom or Sagarin, (along with RPI, SOS, Top 50 wins, etc.) to help weigh their selections and won't even look at BPI, as it is unproven at this time. So, I don't think we should really care about what the BPI is until it is accepted as a legit metric.

As for the Top 25...sure, it might be somewhat meaningless in the grand scheme of things in terms of getting to the NCAA tourney and seeding. However, what the Top 25 does offer is exposure, through print and TV. It generates interest among the casual fanbase. So, in that aspect, it isn't wrongheaded for people on this board to look forward to getting into the Top 25.

BPI is just a metric that ESPN recently put together. My guess is that selection committee members will refer to KenPom or Sagarin, (along with RPI, SOS, Top 50 wins, etc.) to help weigh their selections and won't even look at BPI, as it is unproven at this time. So, I don't think we should really care about what the BPI is until it is accepted as a legit metric.

As for the Top 25...sure, it might be somewhat meaningless in the grand scheme of things in terms of getting to the NCAA tourney and seeding. However, what the Top 25 does offer is exposure, through print and TV. It generates interest among the casual fanbase. So, in that aspect, it isn't wrongheaded for people on this board to look forward to getting into the Top 25.

I agree 100%. It's about recognition on a national level for what this basketball team has done. Also, it gets you on the highlight shows as a Top 25 team.

I think 2 weeks ago, I said we need to win these 2 games to get ranked. Right on target. Bizzle is correct in that there are some other scenarios where we could squeak in. How about let's win 2 and leave no doubt. 2 wins puts us in low 20's....2 big wins (double digits spreads for both games) and we could make teens.

There is a fair chance where we could do that against VCU(double digits)....but I am still concerned about Butler. I think Butler will be our 2nd toughest game of the season all things considered. The good news is we are not ranked and will come in as an underdog....bad news is that's it's their place and they have seen us once already.

Let's just take 2.

I think back to back wins put us in the high teens no matter how close.

I agree completely, but this week presents a unique situation where it is a moot point. This is because SLU's only two games are against top 25 teams, so the games will already be covered as top 25 games in the national media.

I agree completely, but this week presents a unique situation where it is a moot point. This is because SLU's only two games are against top 25 teams, so the games will already be covered as top 25 games in the national media.

-I guess it happened in CUSA where we had consecutive games versus ranked teams???? probably first time in a while I am guessing

lunardi now has us as the 9 seed playing creighton before playing duke at #1. i swear to fuok, if that gotdamn committee pits us against a #1 in the second round again this year... i don't think they'll be allowed to, though, when we WIN THE FUOK OUT.

-I guess it happened in CUSA where we had consecutive games versus ranked teams???? probably first time in a while I am guessing

from twitter:

@tomtimm: Last time SLU had back to back games against top 25 teams was 2008, vs. Dayton and Rhode Island. Both were at home. Lost first, won second

lunardi now has us as the 9 seed playing creighton before playing duke at #1. i swear to fuok, if that gotdamn committee pits us against a #1 in the second round again this year... i don't think they'll be allowed to, though, when we WIN THE FUOK OUT.

That one would piss me off for a few reasons. The main one is that 3 of the 8-9 matchups will be held in either Lexington or Dayton and the fourth is in Philly. I think we're already looking at another 8-9 seed again this year; I just figure if it's going to be that way, might as well be close.

From Lunardi's chat today:

Matt (Columbia, MO)

Better team right now, SLU or Mizzou? And what are the circumstances in which Mizzou doesn't get a tourney bid?

Joe Lunardi(3:38 PM)

Definitely Saint Louis, Matt. And Mizzou is currently our last team with +80% odds at making the field, so the Tigers are one loss away from official "bubble" status.

From Lunardi's chat today:

Matt (Columbia, MO)

Better team right now, SLU or Mizzou? And what are the circumstances in which Mizzou doesn't get a tourney bid?

Joe Lunardi(3:38 PM)

Definitely Saint Louis, Matt. And Mizzou is currently our last team with +80% odds at making the field, so the Tigers are one loss away from official "bubble" status.

Fortunes change quickly. We both play at the same time tonight, and the outcomes may say a lot.