10 day break- Grade the Billikens

slu72

I have a small suggestion and a couple of big suggestions

Small:

1. Stop allowing the student gameday staff to sit in the first row of the section. I feel as though it discourages students from sitting there. Maybe sit them in the first 5 rows of the wedge so we don't have people random a$$ people sitting there.

2. Scatter the e-board throughout the section during the game. Engage the apathetic students by cheering your head off.

Large:

1.Close off the wedge entirely except for the big games. Put a tarp or something over it so that the students are forced to sit in the main area. Actually, close off the area behind the band as well except for big games.

2.Close off rows until they are filled prior to each game. I see the student gameday staff just sitting there with there thumbs up their a$$es. This will give them something to do.

3. a few large STUDENTS ONLY SIGNS. they don't have to actually mean anything just scare away the people that randomly wander into the section.

The fact that none of this isn't happening already is symptomatic of why Guy Phillips is still our "announcer" and why our trainer has to double as the guy who mops up the court when it gets wet. :rolleyes:

Taking an idea from West Virginia and making it apply to SLU, what do you guys think (and the Athletic Department if you're reading this), have the SLUNatics and/or the Athletic Department (or a willing donor) to donate 10 cents (or more) to some kind of Majerus charity type thing (maybe wherever the family are having donations sent) for every student at the next home game. Even if we get 1000 students, it's only $100 but it's good publicity and it gives us a good thing to advertise when we try to market to the students for the next game.

If anyone from the AD or anyone on here wants to be involved, let me know. Me and 05 put together that blackout on about 18 hours notice, and I know I can get this together too especially since I have access to SLUNatics twitter and facebook.

The attendance last night was pitiful. I spoke to a casual fan today and he asked me how the Billikens were going to be this year. He then went on to say that with Majerus gone he didn't feel compelled to come to games this year as much as in the past few when he attended 5 or 6 per year and will watch them on TV when he can. I asked him if he would try and get to games if they are having a nice season and he said he would look to go to a conference game or two if we're playing well.

Keep in mind this is the mindset of many casual fans, but it also points out to many who'd rather not acknowledge it that RM was a draw. My sister-in-law's boyfriend is a huge Big Ten and mainly and Ohio State fan (PITA, but that's another story). When he came in for the holidays he knew Majerus was coaching SLU and would ask about them. Romar, nor even Spoon, garnered that type of attention.

It is clear that our PG play has been less than optimal and that leads to problems everywhere else on the offense.

No, it is not clear. See jbizzle09's post. I do agree with you however that once Mitchell is back we will be a better team.

-McCall and Jett are averaging a combined 8.2 assists per game. Both are averaging 4.1 per game. We haven't had a player average over 4 assists per game since Josh Fisher in 2003-04 and now we have two. Both are currently tied for 8th in the A-10.

-Ellis (13.0) and Evans (13.4) are both averaging at least 13 points per game. The last time the Bills had two teammates over that threshhold was 2006-07, with Lisch and Liddell.

-Mike McCall leads the A-10 in three point percentage (.520).

The attendance last night was pitiful. I spoke to a casual fan today and he asked me how the Billikens were going to be this year. He then went on to say that with Majerus gone he didn't feel compelled to come to games this year as much as in the past few when he attended 5 or 6 per year and will watch them on TV when he can. I asked him if he would try and get to games if they are having a nice season and he said he would look to go to a conference game or two if we're playing well.

What infuriates me most about the lack of attendance is the fact that we shouldn't need to rely on the 'casual' fan to fill the arena. There should be 10,000 alumni in the St. Louis area willing to spend a few evening hours watching and supporting their college team. It absolutely baffles me as to why we can't be at least 75% full at every game given the number of alumni in the area.

i feel this is highly indicative of the level of talent on the team. they actually show a decent amount of discipline for missing their senior leader and playing for a vegetable of a coach. imagine what these dudes would be running like at full health under maji. ho well...

Killed it. Post of the year contention. Can't do much better than this amount of optimism + comparing the HC to a vegetable in the same line.

Student Section: D-. Only saved by the opening game of the year where we had free pizza for everyone.

As a student I want to apologize to all the players and the rest of the fans for our poor attendance efforts and our poor effort during the games throughout the season thus far.

I'm open to all suggestions/criticism/whatever from anyone to help us get more students at the game and to find ways to get the students more involved while at the game.

Also, I know this has always been a problem, but it really takes a lot to get the rest of the crowd on their feet.

Also, 4817 was the total attendance yesterday. Bad. In fact, it was the 2nd worst attended game dating back to the beginning of the 2010-2011 season. The worst was the UMass game in 2011 when St. Louis got hit with that huge snow storm.

Leave the student section out of this. We haven't played anyone at home. Compared to the first 4 years at Chaifetz the students are going above and beyond. The students (& casual fans) have always needed a reason before showing up and we've been disappointing so far. The home opener was great.

Just think how bad it will be during xmas break when we are playing SE UT-San Juan campus.

I have seen the future. Students will not show up during xmas break because they will be at home(!) or we will be playing a borderline D2 team. Or most likely both. Let's get these threads started.

Taking an idea from West Virginia and making it apply to SLU, what do you guys think (and the Athletic Department if you're reading this), have the SLUNatics and/or the Athletic Department (or a willing donor) to donate 10 cents (or more) to some kind of Majerus charity type thing (maybe wherever the family are having donations sent) for every student at the next home game. Even if we get 1000 students, it's only $100 but it's good publicity and it gives us a good thing to advertise when we try to market to the students for the next game.

If anyone from the AD or anyone on here wants to be involved, let me know. Me and 05 put together that blackout on about 18 hours notice, and I know I can get this together too especially since I have access to SLUNatics twitter and facebook.

Any idea regarding raising money for a cause in Majerus' honor (at a game or otherwise) would be a great one. Easy. Should be a slam dunk for the athletic dept.

Can we at least move some of the fans who actually show up to better seats? Embarrassing to see those empty seats on the feed.

I do my best to fill these seats every game.

No, it is not clear. See jbizzle09's post. I do agree with you however that once Mitchell is back we will be a better team.

-McCall and Jett are averaging a combined 8.2 assists per game. Both are averaging 4.1 per game. We haven't had a player average over 4 assists per game since Josh Fisher in 2003-04 and now we have two. Both are currently tied for 8th in the A-10.

-Ellis (13.0) and Evans (13.4) are both averaging at least 13 points per game. The last time the Bills had two teammates over that threshhold was 2006-07, with Lisch and Liddell.

-Mike McCall leads the A-10 in three point percentage (.520).

Actually if you look a little deeper it is clear. Last year our guards averaged 9.8 assists a game. This year it is 9.2. Last year our guards average 4.8 turnovers a game. This year it is 5.8. We ranked 32nd in assist to turnover margin last year. This year we rank 114th. We had an offensive efficiency of 108.4 last year. It is 103.2 this year.

Actually if you look a little deeper it is clear. Last year our guards averaged 9.8 assists a game. This year it is 9.2. Last year our guards average 4.8 turnovers a game. This year it is 5.8. We ranked 32nd in assist to turnover margin last year. This year we rank 114th. We had an offensive efficiency of 108.4 last year. It is 103.2 this year.

-great points brian and I will add our 3pt% defense has to be worse

Can we at least move some of the fans who actually show up to better seats? Embarrassing to see those empty seats on the feed.

Careful! There is a rogue usher out to prove herself. Watch out for lesbian haircut

The fact that none of this isn't happening already is symptomatic of why Guy Phillips is still our "announcer" and why our trainer has to double as the guy who mops up the court when it gets wet. :rolleyes:

I said this in another thread, but I will say it again over and over.

SLU's gameday production and athletic marketing departments are TERRIBLE. They do a piss poor job on some of the most basic aspects of things.

Ticket sales are astonishingly bad. How can the only D1 team in a major metro area, coming off an at large tournament run, with preseason aspirations of a longer tournament run only draw 4500 people to a basketball game on a Sunday afternoon against a fairly well known opponent??? Someone is doing a poor job in the ticket sales department. And can we please just sell those damn loyal blue seats already? Whatever the plan was isn't working. It has been several years now. It looks like ###### on tv and especially the Fox Sports HD.

They don't even have a position listed on the staff directory that has anything to do with marketing. The basketball game day effort makes the athletic department look second rate compared to similar schools.

I said this in another thread, but I will say it again over and over.

SLU's gameday production and athletic marketing departments are TERRIBLE. They do a piss poor job on some of the most basic aspects of things.

Ticket sales are astonishingly bad. How can the only D1 team in a major metro area, coming off an at large tournament run, with preseason aspirations of a longer tournament run only draw 4500 people to a basketball game on a Sunday afternoon against a fairly well known opponent??? Someone is doing a poor job in the ticket sales department. And can we please just sell those damn loyal blue seats already? Whatever the plan was isn't working. It has been several years now. It looks like ###### on tv and especially the Fox Sports HD.

They don't even have a position listed on the staff directory that has anything to do with marketing. The basketball game day effort makes the athletic department look second rate compared to similar schools.

while i dont want to defend our marketing efforts, gotta have the budget to do it. it would be nice if the good father would allocate such, my guess though is that he would say the dept has to be self sufficient, i.e. ticket sales and booster/billiken club money. the fact that i still am a top 300 billiken club member speaks volumes that we havent really recruited the needed money people to take this program to the next level we are no better than we were 5-10-15 years ago.

It seemed like the Groupon deals worked well last year. Has SLU done any similar deals this year? Seems like a no-brainer for these non-conference games.

i agree and i would bet we will do them again. that said, i think it is a little sad that the the program at this point has to resort to groupon deals and the arena isnt sold out every game. i just think back to the spoon era and remember we would sell 20k seats at kiel vs the likes of austin peay and wonder how is 4k (generous imo) vs north texas state Wednesday night even possible?

the one thing i think we have better now vs then is the students. our student attendance has always been puzzling, but imo there is no doubt that the slunatics and even the blue crew during chaifetz arena era is better than any 5 year period in my fandom (back to 1978).

Well, I have been looking for a new job lately. Parking myself 24-7 in the 'Fetz would be my next dream career, now that I've already had two others. B)

Well, I have been looking for a new job lately. Parking myself 24-7 in the 'Fetz would be my next dream career, now that I've already had two others. B)

Put a proposal together and send it their way. Show 'em how your ideas would more than justify the $500k they'd be paying you. ;)

Joe, you're applying for the head coach position for next year? You think you'll get it over Crews?

RM may have liked you on his staff for no other reason than to pick your brain on local restaurants.