Harriman

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

why doesnt tony young get a chance? what is wrong with him that he gets passed over?

I hope that he gets moved up to assistant coach. I did hear that he was thinking about moving back to SIU when Lowery got canned, but nothing has come from it. Still, seems logical that he moves up with Harriman leaving (as that is what happened when Jensen in regards to Harriman.)

Maybe some young black men on the team would like to relate to someone who is not 60 and white. Maybe that young black coach might have a little easier time in recruiting an intercity high school. Balance.

Don't know if you've noticed but the african american kids that are on the team now weren't exactly raised on farms.

I really would like to see a young black assistant.

i would really like to see some big, black, batskitball dunking motherfuokers on the team. no asians or hawaiians or pacific islanders of any sort.

CONTESTANT #1. OWNING THE GAME.

i would really like to see some big, black, batskitball dunking motherfuokers on the team. no asians or hawaiians or pacific islanders of any sort.

CONTESTANT #1. OWNING THE GAME.

i mean seriously. look at these assho|es.. give me 12 black dudes on the team, ASAP.

I know a lot of people on the board think very highly of Coach H but...

We got 3 players from his down under connections. Ellis up and down but a solid performer, Loe okay starter with holes in his game, & Salecich who is playing at Missouri Southern. He didn't bring in Andrew Boguts. Not a huge loss there, and if we aren't going to Australia for recruiting trips we save some money. There have also been numerous down under prospects that we have been interested in that didn't choose SLU.

He certainly was responsible for recruiting several other players, Evans & Jett to name 2, but don't you think an American has an easier time recruiting American kids? I'm not saying we go all Illinois Board Of Trustees and demand we hire a black asst but I don't think you can deny that an American Asst can better relate to a kid than an Australian one.

He was the youngest Asst, we do lose that. Not saying he was a bad coach either, in fact I think he was exemplary but on its face I don't see this as catastrophic.

Who knows who Majerus will bring in, maybe he moves Tony Young up, I don't see why not since we have 2 openings essentially. This will hurt recruiting in the short term and we'll have to wait a couple years to see if the constant turnover of the last 2 offseasons proves to be a detriment to recruiting.

What is disconcerting to me is that Nebraska is offering him a lot more money. At some point we have to improve on this. We are successful right now because of Majerus, to remain successful without him we are going to have to pay coaches salaries at the very least competitive with the likes of Nebraska. Until we do prolonged success will never occur.

Previous poster is right though. We can hire Harriman again when the entire Nebraska coaching staff is fired in 2 or 3 years. Nebraska will never be a successful basketball program ever.

Well, you can't blame Harriman for moving up to a BCS school that probably does pay him more. Whether or not Biondi didn't pony up the funds to keep him is pure speculation. However, I tend to believe if RM went to him or May and said Chris needs a raise, they probably weren't willing to match Nebraska's offer. Too bad. In Columbus a couple of my friends sitting right behind SLU's bench said Harriman was making all the sub moves.

Right now, I'm just hoping Fr. B's not pulling the purse strings so tight, that RM says, "screw it. It's not worth the hassles." It happened with Spoon and he had a more successful record than RM.

I'm sorry to see Coach Harriman go. I was impressed by him when I heard him on radio interviews this past year. He got us Ellis and Loe, although the Down Under pipeline seemed to be drying up a bit in recent years. If he gets an Aussie stud to go to Nebraska next year, I will be ticked. RM still has recruiting connections in Aussie, so this may not completely shut that door.

I have confidence RM will find somebody good and hopefully somebody with some new recruiting pipelines. We seem to have Chicago, Minnesota, Wisconsin and Indy covered pretty well with RM and Whitesell. Since we are in the A-10, I would like to see an assistant with some East Coast connections. Is Crews gone for sure?

Don't know if you've noticed but the african american kids that are on the team now weren't exactly raised on farms.

While it's possible that our current group did not care whether or not they were recruited by a black assistant, this is a realistic issue for many black families and for all we know, other recruits have spurned us because we didn't have a black assistant. So having a black assistant coach (which the vast majority of major D-1 programs do) remains a good policy. This isn't all that much different than having an Aussie coach on the staff so you can better recruit players from down under.

Maybe this is Tony Young's opportunity?

Soderberg just offered this kid.

I know that's the rumor, but I have inside info from my trashman's sister who wax's UB's head. The truth is he wants to offer him, but he only has 2 schollarships open and needs to hold those in case a top 20 type recruit decides to come

-good and bad in Coach Harry leaving

-bad for disruption to program, bad if players liked him, bad if he was a key recruiter for players for upcoming years (i don't know if this was the case), bad if we had a reasonable chance to match the money and we didn't, bad that someone left SLU for nebraska, bad as in my limited conversations with him he seemed like a good guy, bad in that he did pre and post game comments on radio, bad that we may now have two asst coaching spots to fill (what is up with Crews?), bad the we are losing the longest tenured asst coach

-good that it gives an opportunity to someone, good the we had in the program an asst coach someone else wanted, good that we have the chance to find someone better, good that the timing isn't worse

-is it true as huskers.com has no mention of it?

Sorry to break it to some of you guys who are worried about this, but us landing players has to do with 2 things: having Rick Majerus as our coach and winning. More having Rick, but winning should help us more and more in the future.

Harriman was a good assistant, who worked hard and did a lot of good for our program. I wish him the best of luck. But losing him isn't a huge deal. I'm all for hiring a young black assistant and would be happy with Young.

Sorry to break it to some of you guys who are worried about this, but us landing players has to do with 2 things: having Rick Majerus as our coach and winning. More having Rick, but winning should help us more and more in the future.

Harriman was a good assistant, who worked hard and did a lot of good for our program. I wish him the best of luck. But losing him isn't a huge deal. I'm all for hiring a young black assistant and would be happy with Young.

Me too! But being any particular color as a qualification is wrong. BLUE, GREEN, WHITE, BLACK, BROWN, TAN, YELLOW who cares as long as he can recruite and knows his stuff!!

[/b]

Me too! But being any particular color as a qualification is wrong. BLUE, GREEN, WHITE, BLACK, BROWN, TAN, YELLOW who cares as long as he can recruite and knows his stuff!!

Good idea, our starting five could look like this.

Posted Image