Jared Swopshire (Maybe not OT?)

NH

The forward is transferring from Louisville after this year and would likely could use his one year of eligibility to play immediately.

He is from St. Louis I wonder if we would be interested.

P.S. His little brother is a pretty good recruit who plays at a Prep School in Florida.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The forward is transferring from Louisville after this year and would likely could use his one year of eligibility to play immediately.

He is from St. Louis I wonder if we would be interested.

P.S. His little brother is a pretty good recruit who plays at a Prep School in Florida.

This would be a huge get

How could he play immediately?

He's been at Louisville four years, including a injury redshirt year. If he studied something at SLU that Louisville didn't offer, it is my understanding that he would be eligible immediately.

But you have to graduate first as I understand it. Ala Walker from Vandy to Xavier and ala Massoli from Oregon to Mississippi (State) you have to get your bachelor's degree and then move to a graduate program at another school for a degree that your current school does not offer. That's what would have made Kowal eligible from Northern Illinois to us -- the masters in theology.

Oriaki transferring from Uconn to another school and playing immediately is dependent on Uconn being banned from NCAA tournament play next year. i believe that is a special case.

But you have to graduate first as I understand it. Ala Walker from Vandy to Xavier and ala Massoli from Oregon to Mississippi (State) you have to get your bachelor's degree and then move to a graduate program at another school for a degree that your current school does not offer. That's what would have made Kowal eligible from Northern Illinois to us -- the masters in theology. Oriaki transferring from Uconn to another school and playing immediately is dependent on Uconn being banned from NCAA tournament play next year. i believe that is a special case.

i agree. i also understood the move could only be made for a preferred graduate program when existing school doesnt offer the program.

i agree. i also understood the move could only be made for a preferred graduate program when existing school doesnt offer the program.

This is true. The guy has to have a release from the program, his 4 year degree, and pursue a graduate degree not offered at his previous school.

I know nothing about this kid other than having read about him on this Board for years but hope we are NOT interested. I'd rather pass on any short term benefit to set the bar higher here at SLU -- that we no longer will always have an open spot for our locals (former locals) who follow the greener pastures elsewhere but then realize things aren't so great. Come as a freshman, graduating JUCO or possibly a Soph transfer or don't come at all.

I know nothing about this kid other than having read about him on this Board for years but hope we are NOT interested. I'd rather pass on any short term benefit to set the bar higher here at SLU -- that we no longer will always have an open spot for our locals (former locals) who follow the greener pastures elsewhere but then realize things aren't so great. Come as a freshman, graduating JUCO or possibly a Soph transfer or don't come at all.

A 6'8 F is something that could put us over the top for next year.

Completely disagree.

What would you say if we landed a "One-and-Done?" All hypotheticals here, but technically it's the same thing if Swopshire comes to the U.

Would he be able to quickly adapt to Majerus' system and contribute right away? If so, he'd be great to have.

I'm a Louisville fan (Family in the city, lots of alums in the bloodline) and have seen a lot of Swop the past few years. Aside from being someone who can shoot well and crash the boards, by all accounts he's a high character kid and has a high bball IQ. I think he'd be a great fit--if it weren't for the freshman Behanan taking up most of his minutes, Swopshire would have been a big contributor for the Cardinals. Definitely a guy who can make an impact here.

I can't believe that any of you would not want this kid to transfer here. First, he must know the value of hard work and tough D having played 3 years for Pitino. But the big thing is we all think we're very close to being at least a sweet 16 team next year and any player that could step in and contribute toward that goal from day 1 would be a huge get.

What would you say if we landed a "One-and-Done?" All hypotheticals here, but technically it's the same thing if Swopshire comes to the U.

An Andrew Gaze (Seton Hall '88-89 team) one and done is different than Jared Swopshire. JS has a college degree so the player cares about education enough to work to get a degree rather than putting himself out as gun for hire from the get-go. He is a true student athlete who happened to be an exemplary student somewhere else before coming to SLU.

My understanding is that Pitino ran this kid off. Why? He got minutes throughout the tourney and seems like a stand up kid (based on VERY limited internet readings). Why is he no longer a cardinal?

That being said, I agree with the person who asked where the scholarship is coming from. I just don't see how this kid can come in, learn Majerus's system, and play meaningful minutes out of the gate. Not trying to bash the kid, but he doesn't seem like the talent level of a player who's coming in and will jump over everybody in the rotation with no prior knowledge of Majerus' system.