Jared Swopshire (Maybe not OT?)

NH

i would be shocked if swopshire goes anywhere he cant be the featured or at least main sidekick from the get go. this kid has been all about getting to the nba since grade school. he isnt going to come to slu so he can be the 8th or 9th man.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Box may be on to something here. Swopshire is definitely a great player and I'd love to see him in a Saint Louis uniform, but single-season plugs are not common for Majerus' system. He's stated repeatedly he doesn't like recruiting Juco players for a few reasons, not the least of which is that he likes younger guys that he can work with for long periods of time in practice before they get their minutes. I question whether Majerus and his staff would pursue him, even if he were interested, for that reason.

I can't believe that any of you would not want this kid to transfer here. First, he must know the value of hard work and tough D having played 3 years for Pitino. But the big thing is we all think we're very close to being at least a sweet 16 team next year and any player that could step in and contribute toward that goal from day 1 would be a huge get.

-72 i don't know if i want the kid or not, but remember the comments throughout the season and dramatically voiced by BC after the last game that the guys all like each other and get along, so to use a hockey term, is he good in the room? i am not willing to upset that balance and i am not saying i know if he would or not

I don't really see the need for him. Why are we taking Louisville's offcasts? Why are we talking about a guy who averaged 3 ppg for his career and shot terrrrrribly? I think the Saint Louis University Billikens are above this type of player at this point in time.

Now if Brad Beal wanted to transfer and play at SLU that is a different story.

I don't really see the need for him. Why are we taking Louisville's offcasts? Why are we talking about a guy who averaged 3 ppg for his career and shot terrrrrribly? I think the Saint Louis University Billikens are above this type of player at this point in time.

Now if Brad Beal wanted to transfer and play at SLU that is a different story.

I think Beal's transferring to a different location, but he won't have to worry about classes there.

I have read these posts with interest because I wonder where all this talk is coming from. I have no direct inside information but I would be shocked if our staff is interested in Shopshire. I know they turned down a better player in the past who wanted to transfer here late in his career for the reason they did not want to disrupt the chemistry on the team. As the coach from Villanova said on TV during a commentary on our win over Memphis--Rick M is a great coach who needs kids to be in his system for two to three years before the team gets really good because of the complicated nature of the offenses and defenses that he runs. Once he gets those building blocks in place then he can recruit young players to build on the success. I thought that was a very insightful comment based upon what we have seen. No criticism of Tommie or Kevin is intended but the year that RM arrived both of them looked lost at times. I thought Kevin would have been an even better player if he had played four years under RM because he fits perfectly with what RM is trying to do defensively and he would have adapted his game to the offensive schemes over time.

But to bring in a player for only one year and try to get him minutes on a veteran team with all of its starters back in the positions that he would play and several bench players who would be in front of him as well it seems crazy to try to get this new guy to fit in and assimilate all of the nuances of our offensive and defensive schemes, particularly after he spent 4 years with Pitino in a completely different scheme. I would much prefer to use any possible scholarship for a frosh who could develop into a star player in our scheme over a few years. If we could find a juco who would be eligible at SLU--possible but unlikely--who was big and tough and could help us then I would prefer that as well.

I have read these posts with interest because I wonder where all this talk is coming from. I have no direct inside information but I would be shocked if our staff is interested in Shopshire. I know they turned down a better player in the past who wanted to transfer here late in his career for the reason they did not want to disrupt the chemistry on the team. As the coach from Villanova said on TV during a commentary on our win over Memphis--Rick M is a great coach who needs kids to be in his system for two to three years before the team gets really good because of the complicated nature of the offenses and defenses that he runs. Once he gets those building blocks in place then he can recruit young players to build on the success. I thought that was a very insightful comment based upon what we have seen. No criticism of Tommie or Kevin is intended but the year that RM arrived both of them looked lost at times. I thought Kevin would have been an even better player if he had played four years under RM because he fits perfectly with what RM is trying to do defensively and he would have adapted his game to the offensive schemes over time. But to bring in a player for only one year and try to get him minutes on a veteran team with all of its starters back in the positions that he would play and several bench players who would be in front of him as well it seems crazy to try to get this new guy to fit in and assimilate all of the nuances of our offensive and defensive schemes, particularly after he spent 4 years with Pitino in a completely different scheme. I would much prefer to use any possible scholarship for a frosh who could develop into a star player in our scheme over a few years. If we could find a juco who would be eligible at SLU--possible but unlikely--who was big and tough and could help us then I would prefer that as well.

+1. RM knows what he is doing, better than most. That's why he beats teams with better athletes...regularly. Smart players, time in the system, and dedication to RM is why these kids are winning games; it's not because they are all the top athletes in the country.

I have read these posts with interest because I wonder where all this talk is coming from. I have no direct inside information but I would be shocked if our staff is interested in Shopshire. I know they turned down a better player in the past who wanted to transfer here late in his career for the reason they did not want to disrupt the chemistry on the team.

The fact that we tried to take Sean Kowal under exactly the same circumstances as Swopshire pretty much blows up the argument that Rick would never make a move for a transfer with just one year of eligibility. I think it is all an issue of need. Do we need Swopshire? I won't second guess the coaching staff either way they have evaluated it in this instance because I have seen so little of Grandy and never seen Cory play the 4. We need another 4 besides Cody. If the coaching staff thinks we don't need Swopshire then so be it.

I have read these posts with interest because I wonder where all this talk is coming from. I have no direct inside information but I would be shocked if our staff is interested in Shopshire. I know they turned down a better player in the past who wanted to transfer here late in his career for the reason they did not want to disrupt the chemistry on the team. As the coach from Villanova said on TV during a commentary on our win over Memphis--Rick M is a great coach who needs kids to be in his system for two to three years before the team gets really good because of the complicated nature of the offenses and defenses that he runs. Once he gets those building blocks in place then he can recruit young players to build on the success. I thought that was a very insightful comment based upon what we have seen. No criticism of Tommie or Kevin is intended but the year that RM arrived both of them looked lost at times. I thought Kevin would have been an even better player if he had played four years under RM because he fits perfectly with what RM is trying to do defensively and he would have adapted his game to the offensive schemes over time.

But to bring in a player for only one year and try to get him minutes on a veteran team with all of its starters back in the positions that he would play and several bench players who would be in front of him as well it seems crazy to try to get this new guy to fit in and assimilate all of the nuances of our offensive and defensive schemes, particularly after he spent 4 years with Pitino in a completely different scheme. I would much prefer to use any possible scholarship for a frosh who could develop into a star player in our scheme over a few years. If we could find a juco who would be eligible at SLU--possible but unlikely--who was big and tough and could help us then I would prefer that as well.

Looking back over the Jucos brought in by previous recent coaches, non of them really had good years until the second year. So I think it would be even more difficult for a player with only one year of eligibility left to come in and try to learn RM's system and make any kind of significant contribution. I can't imagine there would be any interest in Swopshire or any other 1 year player.

The fact that we tried to take Sean Kowal under exactly the same circumstances as Swopshire pretty much blows up the argument that Rick would never make a move for a transfer with just one year of eligibility. I think it is all an issue of need. Do we need Swopshire? I won't second guess the coaching staff either way they have evaluated it in this instance because I have seen so little of Grandy and never seen Cory play the 4. We need another 4 besides Cody. If the coaching staff thinks we don't need Swopshire then so be it.

with all due respect, the circumstances with Kowal were very different. I am not really sure how hard we actually tried to get him but assuming what you say is true, our team was very unsettled at that time and we had not yet had a big year and had not had a whiff of the big dance much less played a number one seed very tough in the second round. This team has great chemistry and clutch players who execute the game plan and are very experienced in the system. They have had very nice success and are poised to continue that success next year. The circumstances are totally different imo.

Hard to argue w/ the team chemistry thing, Billikan. And I can't see RM guaranteeing this kid a starting position, which is probably why he wants out of UL. Still, given the uncertainty of BC's replacement, might he not be willing to take a chance on a kid who seems to be a hard worker, athletic, and is a real student? IU did it a few years back with a kid out of Auburn, and I think he became a first team big 10 performer.

with all due respect, the circumstances with Kowal were very different.

The incident occurred less than two years ago. It was reported we talked with Kowal and his father but he hadn't been given a release so nothing could be done.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog/_/name/katz_andy/id/5575525

Willie and Kwamain hadn't been kicked out of school yet (when we talked with Kowal). I think the issue is always team need. If your point is that once Willie left the team in 2010 we had a greater need for a big than we do now then I agree.

Hard to argue w/ the team chemistry thing, Billikan. And I can't see RM guaranteeing this kid a starting position, which is probably why he wants out of UL. Still, given the uncertainty of BC's replacement, might he not be willing to take a chance on a kid who seems to be a hard worker, athletic, and is a real student? IU did it a few years back with a kid out of Auburn, and I think he became a first team big 10 performer.

He is being forced out of Lousville because they don't have a roster spot for him because of the number of recruits Pitino is bringing in. He wanted to stay.

OK, I have reread the thread and no where does it say he has graduated. So, if he has not graduated, then how does he transfer in and play immediately - those advocating this move seem to gloss over that point. I agree with those who say the Kowal situation was different - once we lost WR and KM all we were trying to do was figure out ways - the board that is - to salvage the season. None of us probably thought Kowal would change the end result that dramatically other than maybe let us have a 500 season rather than a 12 win season. No where did we ever hear that the coaches were pushing for Kowal - looking back it seems that it was probably a deal were Kowal inquired and we said well maybe do you have your release? Nothing ever came of it and that was that. If we have to bring in another player then I would hope it would be someone who would be here long enough to learn the system not just show up to be a body. All the kids that RM is looking at now are for 2013 not for next year - what does that tell you? Finally, this whole situation simply drives home the issue of kids who go somewhere else for the big name - although did he not transfer to a Prep school in Cincy? - only to find out that the competition does them in and maybe they would have been better off going to a school that really wanted them rather than one that was just gathering baubles to see what looked good.

OK, I have reread the thread and no where does it say he has graduated. So, if he has not graduated, then how does he transfer in and play immediately - those advocating this move seem to gloss over that point. I agree with those who say the Kowal situation was different - once we lost WR and KM all we were trying to do was figure out ways - the board that is - to salvage the season. None of us probably thought Kowal would change the end result that dramatically other than maybe let us have a 500 season rather than a 12 win season. No where did we ever hear that the coaches were pushing for Kowal - looking back it seems that it was probably a deal were Kowal inquired and we said well maybe do you have your release? Nothing ever came of it and that was that. If we have to bring in another player then I would hope it would be someone who would be here long enough to learn the system not just show up to be a body. All the kids that RM is looking at now are for 2013 not for next year - what does that tell you? Finally, this whole situation simply drives home the issue of kids who go somewhere else for the big name - although did he not transfer to a Prep school in Cincy? - only to find out that the competition does them in and maybe they would have been better off going to a school that really wanted them rather than one that was just gathering baubles to see what looked good.

Swopshire will graduate in May. He went to the IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla after his sophomore year at Fort Zumwalt West.

OK, I have reread the thread and no where does it say he has graduated. So, if he has not graduated, then how does he transfer in and play immediately - those advocating this move seem to gloss over that point. I agree with those who say the Kowal situation was different - once we lost WR and KM all we were trying to do was figure out ways - the board that is - to salvage the season. None of us probably thought Kowal would change the end result that dramatically other than maybe let us have a 500 season rather than a 12 win season. No where did we ever hear that the coaches were pushing for Kowal - looking back it seems that it was probably a deal were Kowal inquired and we said well maybe do you have your release? Nothing ever came of it and that was that. If we have to bring in another player then I would hope it would be someone who would be here long enough to learn the system not just show up to be a body.

That isn't exactly accurate. NIU accused SLU of tampering with Kowal. SLU was helping him out with the NCAA complaince officers.

I think the big question with Swopshire is would he have a big impact or not much of one. His numbers were way down coming off his groin surgery. I don't know enough about the injury he had to know if it is the kind of thing where you ability improves as you get further away from the surgery or not. If we could get something close to Swopshire in his sophomore year I would take him in a heartbeat. That kid is first team all A10. If it is the Swopshire from this past season, I say pass on him.

Looking back over the Jucos brought in by previous recent coaches, non of them really had good years until the second year. So I think it would be even more difficult for a player with only one year of eligibility left to come in and try to learn RM's system and make any kind of significant contribution. I can't imagine there would be any interest in Swopshire or any other 1 year player.

Love started his junior year with a pretty serious injury, I think it was his back. Right when he came back he made an immediate impact. The Kansas game was his first or second game and he torched them. Also, Jeffers played his entire junior season with a bad wrist injury. He started the whole season and was a key defensive player, but the injury limited his offensive game.

Reagrding Swopshire, he could be a decent role player, but I'm not overly excited about his game. The only way I would take him on is if a spot were to open up and we had no other alternatives with 4-year players, I would rather go ahead and take a 1-year player who was immediately eligible rather than "saving the scholarship." In years past, we would have been clamoring for a player like this.

The incident occurred less than two years ago. It was reported we talked with Kowal and his father but he hadn't been given a release so nothing could be done.

http://espn.go.com/m...andy/id/5575525

Willie and Kwamain hadn't been kicked out of school yet (when we talked with Kowal). I think the issue is always team need. If your point is that once Willie left the team in 2010 we had a greater need for a big than we do now then I agree.

I agree with you that the Kowal thing suggests we are not against the idea of bringing in a 1 year guy but I disagree that Majerus didn't see a significant need back when we originally talked to Kowal. While the incident hadn't occurred yet, it has later come to light that WR was having major academic issues and would likely be suspended for the 1st semester. I suspect RM knew this and that is why he wanted Kowal.

The questions with Swop are 1) does RM think there is a similar need, 2) does Swop have any interest and 3) is there a scholly available. Add them all up and it seems pretty unlikely to me.

I agree with you that the Kowal thing suggests we are not against the idea of bringing in a 1 year guy but I disagree that Majerus didn't see a significant need back when we originally talked to Kowal. While the incident hadn't occurred yet, it has later come to light that WR was having major academic issues and would likely be suspended for the 1st semester. I suspect RM knew this and that is why he wanted Kowal.

Agree. I believe Willie was suspended from the team (although still in school) at the time we were talking to Kowal and helping him get NCAA clearance.

Brian - thanks for clarifying for me on where he attended prep and explaining that he will graduate this May. JMM - I do not recall us helping him but I do not remember enough to doubt what you are saying. Beal will be going to the NBA - at least that is what is being implied.