Jared Swopshire (Maybe not OT?)

NH

Brian - thanks for clarifying for me on where he attended prep and explaining that he will graduate this May. JMM - I do not recall us helping him but I do not remember enough to doubt what you are saying. Beal will be going to the NBA - at least that is what is being implied.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog/_/name/katz_andy/id/5575525

This is about the only full story on the kowal thing.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://espn.go.com/m...andy/id/5575525

This is about the only full story on the kowal thing.

Thanks for posting the link. However, the article does not say that SLU was working with Kowal just that Kowal had initiated a meeting with the NCAA compliance officer for the school. That meeting was his contact to SLU not SLU's contact with him. There is one sentence that says SLU did show some interest but that was coming from the family and not SLU. Who knows were the real truth lies - the link does shed a more complete explanation.

OK, I have reread the thread and no where does it say he has graduated. So, if he has not graduated, then how does he transfer in and play immediately - those advocating this move seem to gloss over that point. I agree with those who say the Kowal situation was different - once we lost WR and KM all we were trying to do was figure out ways - the board that is - to salvage the season. None of us probably thought Kowal would change the end result that dramatically other than maybe let us have a 500 season rather than a 12 win season. No where did we ever hear that the coaches were pushing for Kowal - looking back it seems that it was probably a deal were Kowal inquired and we said well maybe do you have your release? Nothing ever came of it and that was that. If we have to bring in another player then I would hope it would be someone who would be here long enough to learn the system not just show up to be a body. All the kids that RM is looking at now are for 2013 not for next year - what does that tell you? Finally, this whole situation simply drives home the issue of kids who go somewhere else for the big name - although did he not transfer to a Prep school in Cincy? - only to find out that the competition does them in and maybe they would have been better off going to a school that really wanted them rather than one that was just gathering baubles to see what looked good.

cheese throwbacks: 1. cheese, you are correct. swopshire cant move to a D1 program unless he is a graduate. he also has to have a louisville release and he has to be coming to enroll in a graduate program that louisville doesnt have. without all three he cant transfer. that said, if pitino is running him off, i would think 2 of the 3 are in the bag. slick rick will release and will make sure he has a diploma if he has to print it on his hp desktop printer at his home office himself. 2. a little supposition on your part on kowal. when the billikens were supposedly secretly hudging kowal to seek slu grad school, willie and kwamain had not been expelled yet. are you saying rickma knew the expulsions were coming months before they were made public? 3. i agree a "one and done" better be an extraordinary player to come to slu. not a playing out the eligibility guy that might be the 8th man in the rotation. it is pretty obvious that there have been few first year slu players since rickma took over to play significant minutes immediately. dont know what makes slu basketball rocket science, but apparently it is a longer learning curve. 4. if i remember correctly swopshire transferred to the athletic academy in florida (cant think of the name most famous for actually developing tennis players i think). you are thinking of the kid from Hazelwood that transferred to a cincy prep school then went on to Florida. cant think of his name either. (typically when they renounce slu, i pretty much write them out of my memory. they are insignificant to me thereafter.)

only to find out that the competition does them in and maybe they would have been better off going to a school that really wanted them rather than one that was just gathering baubles to see what looked good.

Ain't that the truth. Griffey, Swopshire, a kid who went to FL( name escapes me), Suggs, etc all highly recruited who never really panned out as expected. Not saying they had bad careers just not what was envisioned at the time they were recruited. Would they have been better off at SLU? Probably may have had more of an impact here, but still no guarantee. Never ran the numbers, but the recruits who have the most impact all seem to come from the top 10-15 in the country. After them, it's pretty much a crapshoot and impact players can come from anywhere and develop at anytime.

Ain't that the truth. Griffey, Swopshire, a kid who went to FL( name escapes me), Suggs, etc all highly recruited who never really panned out as expected. Not saying they had bad careers just not what was envisioned at the time they were recruited. Would they have been better off at SLU? Probably may have had more of an impact here, but still no guarantee. Never ran the numbers, but the recruits who have the most impact all seem to come from the top 10-15 in the country. After them, it's pretty much a crapshoot and impact players can come from anywhere and develop at anytime.

I would not put Alex Tyus in that group. He was a valuable starter on a Gator team that made the Elite 8. Now Griffey on the other hand... I hope he and has dad enjoyed watching us play in the Big Dance this year.

Should add, that if the Hill kid has really re- opened his recruitment and expressing any interest in SLU, I'd rather move someone out for him than a one and done castoff from UL.

We wouldn't have to move anyone for Hill... he is only a HS Junior.

We wouldn't have to move anyone for Hill... he is only a HS Junior.

Oh? I missed that. He verballed or signed an LOI before or during his Junior season?

As for Tyus, yes he was a primary player for FL but the star everyone expected?

Oh? I missed that. He verballed or signed an LOI before or during his Junior season?

As for Tyus, yes he was a primary player for FL but the star everyone expected?

Tyus was not a McDonald's All-American, so I'm not sure who expected him to be a "star." He was a key starter on an Elite 8 team. I was impressed with his game. I thought he was a heck of a rebounder. I'm not sure who expected more out of him. I certainly don't think Florida believed he underachieved. Hill verballed. He's only a junior. He couldn't sign an LOI even if he wanted to.

Oh? I missed that. He verballed or signed an LOI before or during his Junior season? As for Tyus, yes he was a primary player for FL but the star everyone expected?

slu72, yes, malcolm hill is only a high school junior. so we would have scholarships available for mr hill.

as to tyus, i think he was pretty much what everyone expected him to be in college. he was never the big time scorer in high school. everyone saw potential because of his athleticism and the fact he was power forward big, but he seemed to always be the support type player imo.

The thing I remember about Tyus was he came to a few games when UB was here and everyone was creaming their you know what thinking maybe he might sign w/ SLU. Guess I just lumped in with the like of Suggs, Griffey figuring he was a top 50 or 100. Mea Culpas. There's just no way to slip or assume anything by the most knowledgeable posters in the land.

Tyus shared inside touches with several future NBA draft picks including Vernon Macklin, Mareese Speights, and Chandler Parson, and likely Patric Young, and on top of that he averaged 12ppg, and 6prg as a sophomore (might've been a good time for him to test the pro waters), 12ppg and 7rpg as a junior. His senior season was a bit of a let down only averaging 9ppg and 4rpg with the emergence of other players around him, but they did make a great tourney run that year. He had a very very good career.

Tyus is also 2nd All-time in games played, has the 8th most starts in school history, 8th most blocks in school history. 5th most dunks in school history, and is no. 22 on the school's all-time scoring list with 1343. Much more than a role player. He's one of the best to ever wear the uniform.

-surprised you mentioned any other stat

-do we keep this stat?

Tyus shared inside touches with several future NBA draft picks including Vernon Macklin, Mareese Speights, and Chandler Parson, and likely Patric Young, and on top of that he averaged 12ppg, and 6prg as a sophomore (might've been a good time for him to test the pro waters), 12ppg and 7rpg as a junior. His senior season was a bit of a let down only averaging 9ppg and 4rpg with the emergence of other players around him, but they did make a great tourney run that year. He had a very very good career.

Great stuff vtime insider... now can you break down why you thought SLU couldn't "hang" with the Illini this year? I would really enjoy reading that analysis. ;)

Tyus is also 2nd All-time in games played, has the 8th most starts in school history, 8th most blocks in school history. 5th most dunks in school history, and is no. 22 on the school's all-time scoring list with 1343. Much more than a role player. He's one of the best to ever wear the uniform.

I don't think I'd go that far. He's not even a top 10 player in past 10 years. He was there for all 4 years, which is not something that has happened recently at Florida. That's why his career stats are where they are. He was good enough to be above average in college, but not good enough to leave college early.

BTW - Tyus converted to Judaism and is now playing in Israel

I don't think I'd go that far. He's not even a top 10 player in past 10 years. He was there for all 4 years, which is not something that has happened recently at Florida. That's why his career stats are where they are. He was good enough to be above average in college, but not good enough to leave college early.

BTW - Tyus converted to Judaism and is now playing in Israel

Actually Florida is one of the big-time programs where guys do stay 3-4 years. Matt Bonner, 4 years, then NBA, David Lee, 4years, then NBA, Udonis Haslem, 4 years, then NBA. Guys like Donnell Harvey, Mike Miller, and Marreese Speights have been the exception, not the rule at Florida. 22nd in scoring at that historic program is something to be very proud of.

Actually Florida is one of the big-time programs where guys do stay 3-4 years. Matt Bonner, 4 years, then NBA, David Lee, 4years, then NBA, Udonis Haslem, 4 years, then NBA. Guys like Donnell Harvey, Mike Miller, and Marreese Speights have been the exception, not the rule at Florida. 22nd in scoring at that historic program is something to be very proud of.

Corey Brewer, Joakim Noah, Al Horford, Nick Calathes, Christian Drejer, Taurean Green, Anthony Roberson & Matt Walsh are all kids that left to go play professionally.

Those are guys that I could think of off the top of my head. Kids are leaving Florida all the time.

Great stuff vtime insider... now can you break down why you thought SLU couldn't "hang" with the Illini this year? I would really enjoy reading that analysis. ;)

Is there really any doubt about this? Illinois had far more dunks than SLU. Illinois by 22 on tht basis alone.

Corey Brewer, Joakim Noah, Al Horford, Nick Calathes, Christian Drejer, Taurean Green, Anthony Roberson & Matt Walsh are all kids that left to go play professionally.

Those are guys that I could think of off the top of my head. Kids are leaving Florida all the time.

I was going to also say White Chocolate, but he did get kicked out of Florida prior to going in the draft. So wasn't like he had a choice. ;)

STLHI, it is actually kind of silly to point to Haslem, Bonner and Lee as being examples of players who stayed all 4 years. Those players didn't really have a choice, to be honest. Haslem didn't even get drafted, Bonner was a 2nd round pick and Lee was the last player picked in the 1st round. They weren't players who were looked at as early-entry type players who could throw their name in before their senior seasons.

As has been pointed out, it is more the rule that the 1st-round quality players at Florida tend to leave early rather than stay all 4 years, and not the exception. From what I can tell, Florida has had 9 first-round picks since 1990. 7 of them left early, with only Lee (30th overall in 2005) and Dwayne Schintzius (24th overall in 1990) having stayed all 4 years.

According to several tweets this afternoon, Swopshire is transferring to Northwestern for his final year of eligibility. Good for him, as he has the chance to get a year of school at a school of Northwestern's caliber out of the deal.

Best of luck to Jared. Great educational opportunity and he just might help them sneak into the NCAA tourney.