Majerus on 590 today: talking about 2 recruits and 2 frosh

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So Manning looks frail. He is listed at 230 lbs. Hopefully he will be 245 lbs by the start of next season.

What I like about Manning is that he can really run the floor and looks reasonably athletic. RM can do wonders with that type of make-up.

Pure shooter; has a hook with either hand, which he's already shown us. Potential big time Bill

I think there's a chance ET could get minutes just because he's supposed to be a pure shooter who can be a zone buster. Many of us thought the combination of Barnett and KC could be consistent 3 pt threats this year but that didn't exactly pan out. Cody has turned himself into a very good player because he has found ways to score whenever he's not shooting well. I don't think 3 pt shooting is a weakness of this team but we do not have anyone shooting at 40% or above for the season. If he can step in and be that guy that is automatic from 3 that we've have not really had the last few years I could see him getting occasional minutes. Of course, the bottom line with RM is how well you defend so that will be the real determiner if he gets PT or not.

The information I received from sources was 1) that Manning "will be a superstar," 2) that Keith Carter is "the best guard ever recruited by Majerus to come to SLU," and 3) that Grandy Glaze "does not get it" and when pressed to answer if he will, the answer was "no, I don't think so." So I am somewhat doubtful in believing the second freshman on the bench is Glaze. Which would only leave ET and I have no knowledge of what this kid can and can't do. My only words of caution are revisiting the JB transfer -------- folsk were talking (hoping) he would be a zone buster from three and some predicted him all league during his career here. So far, he leads the league and makes the all-enthusiasm-on-the-bench team.

No matter what the outcome is, this is a very fine place to be as opposed to the year spast under the past two coaching regimes. Not knocking the individual coaches, but how many times did we have toi wait for the Spring signing period to finb dout who would be on the upcoming roster that year? i don't have exact numbers, but it seemed to me more usual than not. Occassionally, we'd get a servicable player like Anthony Drejaj. Most times, it was horrible, non-producing duds like Tyrone Caswell, Barry Eberhardt, Sekue Barantine, Obi Ikeafor, Horace Dixon, Anthony Mitchell and Marcus Relaphorde. What we see now is the accension to playing time characteristic of a sustained program.

That's what makes me most happiest.

Come on TAJ, some you mentioned were okay.

Didn't Relaphorde go to Colorado and play very well for them? If I am not mistaken RM asked him to stay and he left on his own accord.

Also, Barry Eberhardt was not great but not bad. Filled a hole we had in SF position as a starter.

Others I agree, many had 0 PT.

The information I received from sources was 1) that Manning "will be a superstar," 2) that Keith Carter is "the best guard ever recruited by Majerus to come to SLU," and 3) that Grandy Glaze "does not get it" and when pressed to answer if he will, the answer was "no, I don't think so." So I am somewhat doubtful in believing the second freshman on the bench is Glaze. Which would only leave ET and I have no knowledge of what this kid can and can't do. My only words of caution are revisiting the JB transfer -------- folsk were talking (hoping) he would be a zone buster from three and some predicted him all league during his career here. So far, he leads the league and makes the all-enthusiasm-on-the-bench team.

No matter what the outcome is, this is a very fine place to be as opposed to the year spast under the past two coaching regimes. Not knocking the individual coaches, but how many times did we have toi wait for the Spring signing period to finb dout who would be on the upcoming roster that year? i don't have exact numbers, but it seemed to me more usual than not. Occassionally, we'd get a servicable player like Anthony Drejaj. Most times, it was horrible, non-producing duds like Tyrone Caswell, Barry Eberhardt, Sekue Barantine, Obi Ikeafor, Horace Dixon, Anthony Mitchell and Marcus Relaphorde. What we see now is the accension to playing time characteristic of a sustained program.

That's what makes me most happiest.

The second freshman on the bench that RM is excited about is indeed Glaze. He has mentioned him in multiple interviews.

I remember being really excited about DE when he was recruited while MM (who turned out to be great) was getting all the attention. I am equally excited about Drew - imagine a DE that's a threat from 3?!?!?!!? We have a lot of fun left in this season, but next year is going to be even more fun.

Yeah Drew looks like a player. That mix tape was all junior year too.

@kshoe --- I non-attributed my information in quotes from the source. All I'll say is the source is well-placed, high enough, and irrefutable in my beliefs. I understand Rick understands the press and uses it for his advantage. He praises the recuits and the non-playing players. That is some masterful motivation. He also takes umbrage with a certain few who he believes can take it --- Conklin, Cassity, Barnett to name a few. I say read between the lines there. Could my source be pulling my leg? Sure, although I don't see a reason for doing so. There is no need to make me look bad -- I can do a good enough job myself and have guardian angels like you to point that out for all.

@tarheel --- that may be your understanding of Relaphorde's situation and it may be correct. I heard Relaphorde wanted to hang on the perimeter and jack threes all day. Not be the typical player a 6'7" forward should have been on a height-challenged roster. Believe he believed he was on hsi way to the show as a two guard. Given what I saw of him in a few later Colorado games, I think he clearly showed that perchant. Eberhardt was servicable at best. But much like my issues with a certain mid-range game, Eberhardt may be the best of a horrid lot. Being a D+ player does make you better than the Fs but its still not good. I find Rick's quote in the Weixlmann article on our main page to be interesting ...... where he talks about inheriting folks who didn't want to work in the gym but wanted the social scene, the video game scene and the TV scene. Hmmmmmmmmmmm. Who did he inherit in 2006-07? Dwayne Polk. Danny Brown. Dustin Maguire. Kevin Lisch. Tommie Liddell. Luke Meyer. Adam Knollmeyer. Bryce Husak. And then late editions Eberhardt, Relaphorde and Mitchell. He released Maguire, Knollmeyer, Mitchell and Relaphorde. Could be one of them? He loved Meyer and Lisch. Doubt it was them. Did he have Husak? We all know he had issues with Liddell. Maybe it was him. I think anybody short of Luke and Kevin would be suspect. I completely disagree with your statement "some were okay." One (BE) is not some.

Most times, it was horrible, non-producing duds like Tyrone Caswell, Barry Eberhardt, Sekue Barantine, Obi Ikeafor, Horace Dixon, Anthony Mitchell and Marcus Relaphorde. What we see now is the accension to playing time characteristic of a sustained program.

-sekue gets a bad wrap, he had a fantastic showing in the midnight madness event his first season (talk about player evaluations seeing one practice), he just went very quickly downhill from there to a very low bottom

Taj, I have heard reports on Glaze that are directly contradictory to what you just wrote. I understand Majerus has genuine high hopes for the kids. BTW, I believe Glaze was on the honor roll last semester.

I don't know a thing about ET, but I don't think that you can assume that a kid who can swish open 20-footers in warm-ups will get PT at fairly high-level D1. McCall, Ellis, Loe, and Mitchell can all swish open 20-footers all day in warm-ups, and have proven that they can also do it in the intensity of a game. ET would have to be the best pure shooter in the history of the program to start eating into the minutes of our returning outside shooters. The days of having a designated shooter who is a major liability in other aspects are over at SLU.

@david --- I guess we shall all see what we all see. All I'm saying is that my report was up there and based on that, I am not expecting much from GG. In all aspects, i hope I am proven wrong. I'd love what a 6'6" Chuck Barley clone could do for us. Seeing him and that kid from Richmond sumo wrestling next year would be well worth the price of admission.

Taj, I have heard reports on Glaze that are directly contradictory to what you just wrote. I understand Majerus has genuine high hopes for the kids. BTW, I believe Glaze was on the honor roll last semester.

I don't know a thing about ET, but I don't think that you can assume that a kid who can swish open 20-footers in warm-ups will get PT at fairly high-level D1. McCall, Ellis, Loe, and Mitchell can all swish open 20-footers all day in warm-ups, and have proven that they can also do it in the intensity of a game. ET would have to be the best pure shooter in the history of the program to start eating into the minutes of our returning outside shooters. The days of having a designated shooter who is a major liability in other aspects are over at SLU.

Yes, I have heard RM talk up both JM and GG on numerous occasions. I have never heard him talk about ET, so who knows.

@ACE ---- BINGO! Who does indeed know. We all shall see. I think we can all agree that, yes there is a hoel to fill, but this coming year will be different than just about all others as far as roster turnover is concerned and how we are NOT waiitng for anything to come bopping through this spring. Nice feeling.

-sekue gets a bad wrap, he had a fantastic showing in the midnight madness event his first season (talk about player evaluations seeing one practice), he just went very quickly downhill from there to a very low bottom

Nah, Suck-koo deserves all the crap he takes from us.

Remuken will have the first shot for playing time from BC but RM will not wait long for him to deliver. ET may or may not be here - who knows but how would his leaving hurt our APR? - we are already on the cusp of not meeting it unless BE finally ponied up the money he owes to actually get his sheepskin released. Someone talked about a big from the west coast who is this? - first I have heard of it. As far as GG is concerned, he was a Kruger recruit to UNLV - their in the top 25 for most of the season and Kruger really upgraded that program while he was there so I doubt that GG is the stiff one is making him out to be. Will he play big minutes next year - I don't know but one source supposedly up high is not what I would call a consensus. Lets just see it develop but I really would like answer to my APR question.

I don't know anything about ET, but Glaze was recognized for his academic achievements last semester.

Remuken will have the first shot for playing time from BC but RM will not wait long for him to deliver. ET may or may not be here - who knows but how would his leaving hurt our APR? - we are already on the cusp of not meeting it unless BE finally ponied up the money he owes to actually get his sheepskin released. Someone talked about a big from the west coast who is this? - first I have heard of it. As far as GG is concerned, he was a Kruger recruit to UNLV - their in the top 25 for most of the season and Kruger really upgraded that program while he was there so I doubt that GG is the stiff one is making him out to be. Will he play big minutes next year - I don't know but one source supposedly up high is not what I would call a consensus. Lets just see it develop but I really would like answer to my APR question.

This came from a recent RM interview on the radio. However, I don't think he gave any specifics on it. For all we know, he could have been talking about a 2013 or 2014 recruit.

@ACE ---- BINGO! Who does indeed know. We all shall see. I think we can all agree that, yes there is a hoel to fill, but this coming year will be different than just about all others as far as roster turnover is concerned and how we are NOT waiitng for anything to come bopping through this spring. Nice feeling.

It's nice to FINALLY be building a program, instead of scrambling in the spring to fill out a roster or "saving scholarships." Even Spoon couldn't really build a consistent roster. He had some gaping holes after Clag, H and Highmark graduated. We don't have to throw freshmen into the fire and we are now able to let the young players develop.

This is going a ways back but I remember when Tony Brown came in as a "big recruit" (and I know Taj likes to talk about him). Grawer said he would be "one of the finest in SLU history" and the SID said he was "Adrian Dantley" (in weight!). The problem was everyone who excitedly came out to see his first practice could see the problem when we saw him--too slow. He was a decent player and had his moments but the hype on the 37 PPG in Florida HS were extremely misleading. He actually did not like to mix it up much either. He could hit an open jumper from anywhere 18 feet in but needed several seconds of space.

my understanding of the apr is it has nothing to do with gpa and everything to do with passed classes contributing to a major. so a freshmen basically would probably just have to have his 24+ credit hours when they "transfer" to not count against the APR. so assuming a kid is a good student and finishes his classes for the spring semester, a transfer wont hurt us. now that said, many college basketball players fall behind spring semester dropping classes, finishing with incompletes, taking lesser loads, then catch up in the summer to be eligible in the fall. the problem with transfers comes up when this happens because the apr doesnt give that student the luxury of taking summer classes before computing the apr. the judgement line is drawn the day the student athlete transfers. that is the way it was explained to me by an athletic director at a different school.