Alex Jensen Gone

b.hayes

Could it be that AJ was unhappy with the Whitesell hire which he saw as another obstacle in the road for him to overcome? Something just isn't right with this happening right before the season gets under way. His replacement needs to be an experienced recruiter. No more On The Job Training.

This thought crossed my mind too. I had assumed that AJ would succeed RM as head coach when Rick decides to hang 'em up.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, what happened here? Can't figure out why he'd want to take a HC job in the NBA D league. That's not really a road to anywhere, is it? Rumors, facts, speculation on why this happened, local guys.

This job with the Cavs came up at the last minute and it was the first time that Al had the opportunity to be a head coach. The D league will play even if the big league is out for labor reasons. Some of the assistants from the Cavs will come down to help him get acclimated. Al wanted head coaching experience and this dropped into his lap. He is not upset with the school or with Coach but merely sees this as an opportunity to get some name recognition as a person who has been a head coach. Timing is not ideal but we will be able to get through this. Al is a great guy and I wish him the best.

This job with the Cavs came up at the last minute and it was the first time that Al had the opportunity to be a head coach. The D league will play even if the big league is out for labor reasons. Some of the assistants from the Cavs will come down to help him get acclimated. Al wanted head coaching experience and this dropped into his lap. He is not upset with the school or with Coach but merely sees this as an opportunity to get some name recognition as a person who has been a head coach. Timing is not ideal but we will be able to get through this. Al is a great guy and I wish him the best.

Makes sense.

How about a former player to bring in to learn the ropes? Drew Diener? Clagget?

Just another puzzling thought. This came up at the last minute. Why would a person with no head coaching experience be the chosen one for this type of league and the players who will be there. Again all the signs are not pointing in the right direction.

This is a good move for AJ. There are no ill feelings between RM and AJ. You are reading into this too much.

Just another puzzling thought. This came up at the last minute. Why would a person with no head coaching experience be the chosen one for this type of league and the players who will be there. Again all the signs are not pointing in the right direction.

Here's a logical answer to your puzzling thought - The NDBL is known for taking 19 year olds who, 1) do not complete their four years of collee eligibiltiy, 2) who have grown to an approximate height of seven feet during those short 19 or so years on this planet, and then developing these players (e.g., a Willie Reed types)for NBA level competition. Over the next few years, these low post players will add muscle/weight, perfect low post moves, and develop a better range, all necessary tools for success at the NBA level. Alex Jensen has the reputation as one of the best 'big men' coaches around, which I personally was fortunate enough to witness at the pre-Canada trip open practices. It's a natural fit for Alex Jensen's coaching sweet spot.

Guys - guess what happens to top college assistant coaches????? They grow up to become head coaches. If our assistants such as Jensen and the esteemed PM (who walks on water per NH) STOP receiving better career opportunities, THEN perhaps we should be concerned. By virtue of these career promotions continually beinng offered to our assistants, all signs ARE pointing in the right direction. Yes, Jensen and PM are going to be immediate losses to the program, but it's the nature of the D-1 coaching business.

Yes, it's hard work being a Billiken fan. It's even harder work to make this institution have a top 50 (per the good Fr. Biondi's words) men's b-ball program, much less a top 20- 25 program, for which we all have been patiently awaiting. Given a true lack of financial commitment from the top of the school (Chaifetz and Majerus' salary largely supported by alumni donations), a holier than thou attitude, and outrageously strict sanctions for bad behavior, the odds are greatly against us from the start, and always have been.

We should all be happy for Al Jensen. For all I know, he was a great ambassador to our program while at Saint Louis University. That's all we can ask from someone who did not attend the U and probably knew little of our school, our Jesuit identity or traditions before arriving.

Congratulations, Coach Jensen. May the road rise up to meet you always, good sir.

I just remember this tweet from a couple months ago

@ScottyGKFAN Scott Garrard

Source close to Alex Jensen say that Majerus told him he will step down "in a year or two" and that Alex will 'probably' get HC job...

Jensen seemed like a good coach and a good guy. We'll be fine without him. The thing that makes it tough is the timing more than anything. But like someone else said earlier, it's much better than the news we got 2 days before practice last year.

I just remember this tweet from a couple months ago

@ScottyGKFAN Scott Garrard

Source close to Alex Jensen say that Majerus told him he will step down "in a year or two" and that Alex will 'probably' get HC job...

Jensen seemed like a good coach and a good guy. We'll be fine without him. The thing that makes it tough is the timing more than anything. But like someone else said earlier, it's much better than the news we got 2 days before practice last year.

Maybe he realized that he had no shot at the job without some head coaching experience.

Maybe he realized that he had no shot at the job without some head coaching experience.

i would think the need for some actual recruiting experience and recruiting success would be more instrumental in alex jensen becoming a college head coach.

as someone else mentioned above, he very much looked and sounded like a head coach running those practices and instructing players pre-canada. so i dont think instruction would be his need.

that is why i think this move is more about possibly a dislike for what i perceived as his biggest shortcoming. recruiting.