2010 NIT Selection Show

sluhomer

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks.

I'm beginning to worry we aren't going to make it. I checked a couple of bracketologists for the dance this am and URI isn't on their dance cards. My guess would be NIT committee won't take more than 2 A-10 teams, so it comes down to UD, URI, and us. If they look at RPI only, we're toast. If they look at last motnth's performances we're a maybe over UD. But who really knows what they look at.

I'm beginning to worry we aren't going to make it. I checked a couple of bracketologists for the dance this am and URI isn't on their dance cards. My guess would be NIT committee won't take more than 2 A-10 teams, so it comes down to UD, URI, and us. If they look at RPI only, we're toast. If they look at last motnth's performances we're a maybe over UD. But who really knows what they look at.

I really don't see any reason the NIT would limit the number of A-10 teams.

As I said yesterday, and Timmerman said this morning, I think that if it does somehow come down to SLU and Dayton, I think SLU will get in. SLU swept the season series, played much better down the stretch, and finished 3 games ahead of Dayton in the league.

I really don't see any reason the NIT would limit the number of A-10 teams.

Great, I hope you're right. Did you refigure your chart after last night's results? I can't make heads or tails out of what the implications are.

As I said yesterday, and Timmerman said this morning, I think that if it does somehow come down to SLU and Dayton, I think SLU will get in. SLU swept the season series, played much better down the stretch, and finished 3 games ahead of Dayton in the league.

just playing along with the dayton vs slu choice debate. the nit has always been about attendance and money the teams can generate. sorrry dayton will kick ass on those attributes. those crazy people sell out that playing to the ncaa tourney. they will have fans galore for an nit game for their own team.

just playing along with the dayton vs slu choice debate. the nit has always been about attendance and money the teams can generate. sorrry dayton will kick ass on those attributes. those crazy people sell out that playing to the ncaa tourney. they will have fans galore for an nit game for their own team.

Possibly. Their fans view this season as a huge disappointment. The only drew 6,500 fans to their first round A-10 game.

Roy, I agree completely withyour assessment but i thought the NIT has said that those factors are no longer supposed to be in play when choosing teams for the tournament

Roy, I agree completely withyour assessment but i thought the NIT has said that those factors are no longer supposed to be in play when choosing teams for the tournament

The NIT committee is much like the NCAA committee now. The whole "The NIT chooses teams based on can sell tickets" meme is out the window and has been since the NCAA took ownership of it in '06. I thought a win over URI would guarantee us a home game. The problem is that 7 of the 32 available spots are taken by teams who otherwise wouldn't have been good enough to get a bid. So the Bills are basically battling for one of 9 spots, those between # 17 on the NIT "S" curve and #25. There are more than nine teams the NIT can choose from to fill those spots. Let's hope we're one of them.

Apparently since the NCAA took the NIT over they do not worry about the attendance thing so much - they see it as a way to reward teams that did well but not well enough for the dance.

If this team got motivated, I could see it winning the NIT.

The tricky part with the NIT is that some teams want to be in it, and other teams it is a huge let down. Think of Marque's senior year. I think we played Minnesota. Marque was a stud for nearly every game from February on, almost trying to will the team to the Dance, but then we got to the NIT and he just seemed out of it.

It would be tough, but a fun ride.

I can't believe I am looking forward to the NIT Selection Show...

If this team got motivated, I could see it winning the NIT.

The tricky part with the NIT is that some teams want to be in it, and other teams it is a huge let down. Think of Marque's senior year. I think we played Minnesota. Marque was a stud for nearly every game from February on, almost trying to will the team to the Dance, but then we got to the NIT and he just seemed out of it.

It would be tough, but a fun ride.

I can't believe I am looking forward to the NIT Selection Show...

Exactly!

That is why if we get in, we could get a lucky draw or two against teams that do not have their hearts in the game.

Like football bowl season... BCS team plays in early bowl game against hungry Mountain West Conference team.

But I cannot see us going all the way, though.

Let's hope that the NIT Selection Committee evaluates things differently than the NCAA Committee, because when the ESPN guys were analyzing why Mississippi State and Virginia Tech didn't get in, it sounds like the same argument that could be used to justify us not getting in the NIT. They said that while they did well in good conferences, their non-conference SOS was bad, so that must have been the reason.

If you look at us, we did well in a good conference, finishing 4th by ourselves in the A-10 and winning 11 games, but our non-conference SOS was pretty bad.