OT: Midtown Development

Pistol

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I always look at Marquette when this discussion comes up. Marquette wanted to shut down Wisconsin ave the same time SLU was shutting down west like. Marquette "failed" and now Wisconsin Ave has a ton or restaurants and bars and other businesses that serve Marquette. And SLU doesn't have anything comparable.

That's why you let streets be open and businesses around your campus be there.

This is parallel to why you don't build in a flood plain (and why you don't build tons of levees just to protect development in a flood plain).

Vandeventer and Forest Park is already a total clusterfork as an intersection. So are Clayton and Vandeventer and the I-64 exits onto Vandeventer.

There's a little retail development about to open at Vandeventer and Forest Park.

There's also a little apartment complex about to open on that same corner.

There's a little incubator behind the retail development that's about to add three or four buildings.

There's only one remaining secondary street that still provides a modest amount of relief to those traffic flows. Guess what it is.

I always look at Marquette when this discussion comes up. Marquette wanted to shut down Wisconsin ave the same time SLU was shutting down west like. Marquette "failed" and now Wisconsin Ave has a ton or restaurants and bars and other businesses that serve Marquette. And SLU doesn't have anything comparable.

Northeast corner of campus. Bulldozer Biondi forced the teardown of a structurally viable, architecturally significant building. It's now a vacant lot with a dog park.

Southwest corner of campus. A very similar building survived Level 'Em All Larry. It's now being converted into expensive apartments and may just get some of the restaurant and bar tenants to parallel what you're talking about at Marquette.

To paraphrase James Carville: It's the City, stupid. [That "stupid" is not aimed at anyone in this discussion, for the record.]

You could still access humphreys pretty easily from Forest Park pkwy even if Laclede closed. I assume they want to develop that entire southwestern portion of campus more now with all of the commerce that is going to be coming into the area with IKEA and new apartment complexes going up. There will be a huge influx of people living on or around campus in that area, which also helps humphreys. But closing that street off more so incorporates those people into the campus.

If people are driving to get to somewhere like humphreys, they would still just access the parking by coming up forest park pkwy. I don't see how this is a bad thing at all. The area by vandeventer and Laclede is going to look a lot different in just a year or so.

SLU owns all the land on either side of the street they are proposing to shut down. There is zero possibility that this block could turn into any sort of rejuvenation of this area unless SLU want to tear down the Rec Center and the parking garage and donate that land to people wanting to build a restaurant or bar.

I know some people on here aren't the biggest Humphrey's fans, but IMO if there is one business surrounding SLU that deserves special treatment from SLU, it's Humphreys

Really? People that don't like Humphreys exist?

I really don't understand the benefit of closing down Laclede. It is hard enough to get around that whole Grand/Forest Park/Vandeventer cluster as it is.

-bonwich, when you were in school were the buggies still being pulled by horses on West Pine between Spring and Grand? :D

No, but we managed to regularly drink multiple pitchers at Friday's and still make it back to Lewis Hall even though we had to cross a little street and a big street to do so. ;)

No, but we managed to regularly drink multiple pitchers at Friday's and still make it back to Lewis Hall even though we had to cross a little street and a big street to do so. ;)

-I could use an adult beverage about now

• 2 weeks later...

My Guess is that SSM will put the site to use as part of its plan for a "major investment" in the SLU Hospital medical campus.

Would have loved to save the Pevely site, but I think long term for the city and SLU a well planned medical campus similar to Wash U/BJC is much better. I have much more faith in this happening with Pestello and SSM than with Biondi and Tenant.

My Guess is that SSM will put the site to use as part of its plan for a "major investment" in the SLU Hospital medical campus.

Would have loved to save the Pevely site, but I think long term for the city and SLU a well planned medical campus similar to Wash U/BJC is much better. I have much more faith in this happening with Pestello and SSM than with Biondi and Tenant.

I've heard several people who have connections to SSM about a brand new hospital being built next to the current one, with costs around $1 billion. Most of the costs would be handled by SSM and it would essentially be gifted to the University, didn't know if anyone here could confirm this? Word is that it would be built within the next 5-6 years...

Edit: this article mentions this rumor as well

http://nextstl.com/2015/06/ssm-health-planning-for-massive-development-at-slu-medical-campus/

I cut through Laclede on my way home from work all the time (to detour around the FPP construction traffic at Vandeventer), but I cut over at Spring, not Grand. It really doesn't limit access to Humphrey's at all. As long as they are only closing it between Grand and Spring, I think everyone is overreacting on the street closure issue.

I have been told by someone with knowledge at SSM that the transformation of the Chouteau/Grand site for the new SSM campus will be substantial and will fully take advantage of the Pevely site. It was part of the incentive of this entire transaction.

The property around campus that has perplexed me for decades is the old 5th House and adjoining Calecos/Lacledes/Shack lot. What in the world is preventing these lots from being redeveloped with everything now going on around them? Also, why hasn't SLU stepped in and bought them at any point.

Finally, anyone know why Pace has been unable to secure development for the approximately 10 acre Federal mogul site? I expected that to be announced over a year ago.

The property around campus that has perplexed me for decades is the old 5th House and adjoining Calecos/Lacledes/Shack lot. What in the world is preventing these lots from being redeveloped with everything now going on around them? Also, why hasn't SLU stepped in and bought them at any point.

My wife was involved in the negotiations for that building. I'll tell you about it in person sometime.

My wife was involved in the negotiations for that building. I'll tell you about it in person sometime.

That one really is baffling, every time I drive by that area I am shocked that dilapidated building is still there.

Doesn't SLU's campus kind of feel like a hodge podge?

That one really is baffling, every time I drive by that area I am shocked that dilapidated building is still there.

Doesn't SLU's campus kind of feel like a hodge podge?

It really does. I'd love to see any new academic buildings designed in the same gothic style as DuBourg and the B-school to give the campus a more consistent feel.

the old 5th House -- what is that -- the old abandoned derelict between Pickleman's building and the old Shack? what did it ever do, and why is it called the old 5th House?

unrelated note: I was so excited years ago when they tore down the building at Grand and Lindell and told us the street level was going to become a Barnes and Noble. Now it's an empty dog park.

the old 5th House -- what is that -- the old abandoned derelict between Pickleman's building and the old Shack? what did it ever do, and why is it called the old 5th House?

unrelated note: I was so excited years ago when they tore down the building at Grand and Lindell and told us the street level was going to become a Barnes and Noble. Now it's an empty dog park.

It was once a bar called the Fifth House. It had a sign indicating such up until a few years ago.

The owners have a fairly unrealistic idea of what the building is worth.

The Marina Building at Grand and Lindell was awesome. It should've been renovated instead of demolished.

It really does. I'd love to see any new academic buildings designed in the same gothic style as DuBourg and the B-school to give the campus a more consistent feel.

I'm not personally a fan of every building looking the same (like WashU). Some of SLU's buildings aren't that great, but they tell the history of SLU

There are at least two threads buried on this site about the old Fifth House. It was a decent live venue roughly during my undergrad days (late '70s) then resurrected briefly in the '80s and has stood vacant since.

I'd do some research but it would detract from my time in Louis IX's neck of the woods. :)