OT: Midtown Development

Pistol

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure. Are you thinking of the building next to it, which SLU bought for its art museum?

Found the quote:

"It has been on the sale block before. In 1996, the Masonic Temple Association almost reached a deal with St. Louis University, its neighbor across Lindell. At the time, SLU considered the temple as space for a fine arts and performing arts center. The transaction fell through in part over a provision to allow Masonic groups access to some rooms in perpetuity."

Found the quote:

"It has been on the sale block before. In 1996, the Masonic Temple Association almost reached a deal with St. Louis University, its neighbor across Lindell. At the time, SLU considered the temple as space for a fine arts and performing arts center. The transaction fell through in part over a provision to allow Masonic groups access to some rooms in perpetuity."

Who would think they could sell a building and be allowed access to it forever. Those must be the rooms to the secret hideaway where they hold their secret rituals.

Why not?

For a variety of reasons, the Church as always objected to the masons. I think part of it is joining a secret organization in general, also the Church hierarchy alleges that Masonry teaches a deistic religion that is in conflict with Church doctrine (from Wikipedia). In the 1700s the Church ruled that joining the masons automatically excommunicates oneself, and Cardinal Ratzinger (later Pope Benedict XVI) reaffirmed that joining the Masons places one in a state of grave sin.

So there's no rule that they can't share the building, but it seem highly unlikely that it would be kosher

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Six Row brewing is closing on Saturday. I really liked this place great beer and decent food. Owner said they are looking for a new location.

I'm guessing they had a bunch of Backhands "drinking" at the bar. That will sink any alcohol-based establishment.

Worked there during college. Owner didn't want to cooperate with other micros. That seemed like a poor marketing decision to me. Beer was decent in imo. food needed a little more quality but it's quality was better then some other places I worked that has a good reputation for quality.

Isn't it weird to close before you have a new location lined up? There's something weird about this one.

Like the other STL breweries, I've supported this one since they opened. When I was living there, I'd hit their Wednesday tappings on my ride home. The food left a bit to be desired, but the beer was good enough and the staff was always friendly.

I can also vouch for milwaukeebill's comments. I helped organize a beer event last summer and Six Row was the only local brewery that didn't show interest in participating in any capacity. Here in Cincy there are a handful of brewers who don't play nice with others, but the St. Louis scene is very tight-knit and collaborative; I don't understand the lone wolf approach in that industry.

Anyway, I'm curious to see how this plays out.

• 1 month later...

Wasn't sure if this was talked about before but looks like SLU is looking to close another part of Laclede by the Campus.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/nick-pistor/st-louis-university-seeks-to-close-laclede-avenue-west-of/article_7312c36f-e7bb-594c-81fb-88aa578bd698.html

Dumb.

The garage borders Spring on the west and an improved lot that borders Grand on the West. I could see them trying to move the entrance to that garage onto Grand and putting another entrance/exit facing Spring.

Also, the wording of the bill is "Saint Louis University will use vacated area to increase pedestrian safety and function as a service corridor." (Italics mine.) In that case they'd probably redo the first 100 yards or so on Laclede west of Grand to serve as an entrance to the garage. Plus, isn't there a new dorm planned for behind Walsh? There's going to need to be a massive receiving facility to service Gries and all its adjacent properties, even if there isn't a new one built.

In any event, Biondi's gone. Let's quit effing up the street grid around what's supposed to be an urban university.

PS As noted in a comment to that article, the U and the alderperson would be making better use of their time figuring out how to redo the Grand/Forest Park intersection.

I'm in favor of any action that turns the area into more of a campus and less of a collection of buildings surrounded by streets. I love the idea. I'm interested to see how some of the building huggers try to argue why this is a bad idea now that we're just talking about taking out a street.

I'm in favor of any action that turns the area into more of a campus and less of a collection of buildings surrounded by streets. I love the idea. I'm interested to see how some of the building huggers try to argue why this is a bad idea now that we're just talking about taking out a street.

At least when I was there, SLU had a very respected Urban Planning program. Wanna bet the vast majority of urban planners -- professionals, not "building huggers" -- would argue that this is a horrible idea?

I can't speak to what urban planners would do. Although if I had to guess, I would think that urban planners would not be opposed to streets being changed to purely pedestrian areas near a college campus like this. Again, I don't know any street planners to discuss this with.

When the City shut down West Pine so that SLU could create the quad, it was a huge improvement to the campus (that used to be a street). When the City shut down part of Laclede and several others streets between Grand and Compton so that SLU could add athletic fields, that was a huge improvement to the campus. When the City shut down Spring and another chunk of West Pine so that SLU could put up the clock tower and make the entire middle of the campus solely for the students, faculty and staff, that was a huge improvement for the campus. I don't understand why this now is a bad move.

My point is simply that the more we change what SLU has in midtown to a more traditional campus the better. The less the students have to dodge cars on the road the better. The less access people who aren't students, faculty and staff have to the "campus" the better. I don't see any downside to this idea. Maybe, though, I just not seeing a downside which does exist.

Guess I misread the article. I took it as they were temporarily closing the street to resurfacei the asphalt as it is "one of the more fractured streets in midtown" (it is???). The new dorm is opening fall 2016 so this makes a good amount of sense actually. I could see how it could hurt humphreys but then again no one goes in there except Wednesday nights. Picklemans on the other hand...