OT: Midtown Development

Pistol

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

That rendering looks really nice without the 5 lanes of Grand traffic, stop light controlled intersection, and 4 lanes on Laclede.

Also RIP Georgetown lot. Some of the finest douchebags to grace SLU's campus parked there.

Wait, what? On first glance I figured that dorm had a setback from Grand. It had to, because the rendering shows it adjacent to a lovely, calm street that looks like it's part of the campus.

Then after your post I noticed the Busch Center (again with the silly faux-copper roof that will be rendered meaningless if they tear down Firmin) right across the street from the dorm. Whoever drew that has a future as a cartoonist for Pravda.

• 2 weeks later...

I walked around SLU and Midtown after the game last night and I have to say that Midtown looks better than ever. I love the blue neon lights everywhere and the increased lighting in general.

And, I love the new entrance to Pius. I do think they need to reinvent the main drag though, particularly the area between DuBourg, Pius and Griesedieck.

I also think they should prohibit the use of golf carts by University staff. Does anyone else agree with me on this?

I think both new buildings look gorgeous.

The thing I worry about, with all this housing explosion, is the size of the student body. I don't want to become the next DePaul.

I don't think the idea is to grow the student body significantly, but rather to meet existing housing demand. There has been an on-campus housing shortage since well before my time there, and it's only gotten worse in recent years. It's been good news for developers surrounding campus but SLU has lost out on a lot of revenue because of it.

I haven't been by but told the area across from IKEA has been looking real nice. Something about a big apartment building? Assume that's SLU's doing.

There's an apartment building under construction catty-corner from IKEA. Not owned by SLU.

Dooley's on Grand is closing. I liked that place.

Sounds like Southern - the new fried chicken place next to Pappy's - is killing it.

By that, do you mean DePaul emphasizes quantity over quality?

Yes. DePaul is about as close to being a dipoloma mill as a Catholic U can be.

I firmly believe aiming for the best and brightest around 8,500 is SLU's wheelhouse and ought to stay there. Pestillo keeps chriping about "The Biggest class of Billikens" and I don't believe that is a good thing. It should be "Brightest class of Billikens." Any school can allow more people in.

Yes. DePaul is about as close to being a dipoloma mill as a Catholic U can be.

I firmly believe aiming for the best and brightest around 8,500 is SLU's wheelhouse and ought to stay there. Pestillo keeps chriping about "The Biggest class of Billikens" and I don't believe that is a good thing. It should be "Brightest class of Billikens." Any school can allow more people in.

Gotcha. I didn't know that.

Gotcha. I didn't know that.

According to wikipedia 16,150 undergrads as recently as Fall 2014.

I mean, I don't mean to rip on the place but I'd rather SLU compete with Georgetown than DePaul for students.

That number of undergrads is fairly off base. I know that my class was the highest rated class in the school's history and allegedly passed by the new freshmen. (I am a sophomore by the way). Our class average was somewhere around a 27 ACT. We were also one of, if not the largest class. Now, this could be lip service by the university, but I believe it to be true. I don't think the university is diminishing it's standards when trying to increase enrollment.

That number of undergrads is fairly off base. I know that my class was the highest rated class in the school's history and allegedly passed by the new freshmen. (I am a sophomore by the way). Our class average was somewhere around a 27 ACT. We were also one of, if not the largest class. Now, this could be lip service by the university, but I believe it to be true. I don't think the university is diminishing it's standards when trying to increase enrollment.

Which number? The 16,000 was referring to DePaul. Doesn't SLU have around 8,400?

Welcome to SLU. Enjoy the best years of your life.

-thanks, I didn't know something was in there, Pappy's took part of the space, didn't they? wow, shows too long since been there...

Pappy's did take over a lot of the space. I am going to a rehearsal dinner there tonight and I am assuming it is in the area that they added.

I was excited for Southern based on the restaurants Rick Lewis said he was modeling it after(Couchon Butcher in New Orleans and Hattie B's in Nashville), but it missed the mark. Definitely just average.

I was excited for Southern based on the restaurants Rick Lewis said he was modeling it after(Couchon Butcher in New Orleans and Hattie B's in Nashville), but it missed the mark. Definitely just average.

Your opinion represents a minuscule portion of the reviews I've seen and heard. (I haven't been there yet.)

Pappy's did take over a lot of the space. I am going to a rehearsal dinner there tonight and I am assuming it is in the area that they added.

Have you been to Old Standard? I liked it, although it was a little pricey for fried chicken.

Your opinion represents a minuscule portion of the reviews I've seen and heard. (I haven't been there yet.)

Don't worry about the restaurant opinions shared by TheChosenOne (and/or his wife). They're food snobs foodies.

t1larg-food-snob.jpg