No GDT and the game starts in minutes man

CBFan

21 minutes ago, Soderball said:

Seeing Kellogg witness the burning ruins of his career at UMass, as well as giving Hines and Roby their just due for playing their hearts out tonight, is well worth any amount of snarky commentary from everyone's favorite Crews apologist:lol:

I can only hope that you're right and Hines becomes all-conference.

I'll be sold once he develops consistency to his play.

This was a damned good win for us. Let the kool-aid flow. I'll take some too.

Too bad all our scholar- athletes didn't see the second half of the win.  Watching the game on tv, I was impressed with the size of the student section.  I heard that many of them were only there to be recognized at halftime.  Seeing the student section in the second half, it seemed almost empty.  Great school spirit, student athletes!!!

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

32 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

I really feel for Hines, kid is playing more and performing better than most on the team right now and he doesn't have a scholarship. I hope the kid doesn't get tremendous debt. I hope SLU gives him every academic scholarship they can

I was mistaken, but I do think that the statement below still applies.

Hines is a smart kid getting a great degree and playing hoops. He doesnt need anyone's sympathy. He's already a success.

Whatever talent upgrade the roster needs, the blame falls on one man: Jim Crews.

Hines would be here whether or not Crewsplatt had happened. He is clearly superior to the vast majority of walk-on talent that shows up.

-blip in the article yesterday that Hines will graduate in May but he would like to play next season

-as to the blue light, when FrB announced that aspect of the arena I was very intrigued and looked forward to it, that one LED bulb on top of the arena is on my very short complaint list about Chaifetz Arena, perhaps safety reasons for not doing this to a bigger extent

4 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I thought the Umass board freaking out about officiating was funny. I thought they were mugging our players in the first half and getting away with it. We could have had 70 FTA.

That seemed to be the Pillsbury Doughboy's only defensive move. :)

4 minutes ago, bonwich said:

That seemed to be the Pillsbury Doughboy's only defensive move. :)

The first foul he had was shoving around Welmer as though he were defending an endzone.

I have no doubt that Holloway is very familiar with cinnamon rolls.

1 hour ago, Cowboy said:

-blip in the article yesterday that Hines will graduate in May but he would like to play next season

-as to the blue light, when FrB announced that aspect of the arena I was very intrigued and looked forward to it, that one LED bulb on top of the arena is on my very short complaint list about Chaifetz Arena, perhaps safety reasons for not doing this to a bigger extent

If Hines graduates it still does not open a slot. I wish him luck and thanks for his efforts. A win win would be he goes as a graduate transfer someplace else.  My guess is Ford knew all this and he will help Hines land someplace good for him. 

11 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

If Hines graduates it still does not open a slot. I wish him luck and thanks for his efforts. A win win would be he goes as a graduate transfer someplace else.  My guess is Ford knew all this and he will help Hines land someplace good for him. 

Hines isn't on schollie. His slot is free and he is needed. Remember Coach had an open invite for walk on's earlier this season. 

2 hours ago, Go_Bills said:

Some good reading, thank you for the link and I can see why French chose SLU over UMass.

UMass fans want their coach fired we all felt that pain last year.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

Hines isn't on schollie. His slot is free and he is needed. Remember Coach had an open invite for walk on's earlier this season. 

-as I count it his slot is not free, if we are to add to our roster a scholarship player a player currently on scholarship would have to leave: 1-Agbecko 2-Crawford 3-Roby 4-Gillmann 5-Foreman 6-Bess 7-Henriquez 8-Bishop 9-Nuefeld 10-Johnson 11-Moore 12-Welmer 13-Graves with Goodwin and French taking 1 and 2

9 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-as I count it his slot is not free, if we are to add to our roster a scholarship player a player currently on scholarship would have to leave: 1-Agbecko 2-Crawford 3-Roby 4-Gillmann 5-Foreman 6-Bess 7-Henriquez 8-Bishop 9-Nuefeld 10-Johnson 11-Moore 12-Welmer 13-Graves with Goodwin and French taking 1 and 2

OK, I was assuming Hines would walk on next year, same as this year.  Hence he would not count on the 13 scholarship list. This year we have Hines and Marco.  Neither count towards the 13.

4 hours ago, Glorydays2013 said:

I really feel for Hines, kid is playing more and performing better than most on the team right now and he doesn't have a scholarship. I hope the kid doesn't get tremendous debt. I hope SLU gives him every academic scholarship they can

He may well be on the Pell Grant wagon 

1 hour ago, drkelsey55 said:
What is keeping Hines from taking a few classes and walking on again next year???

Whatever his scholarship/financial aid situation is this season, since he's getting his undergraduate degree in May, it's likely that those arrangements will not carry over to grad school.

19 minutes ago, hsmith19 said:

That game should be enough to earn Hines a spot on the Billiken all-time, all-walk on team. It had to be really fun. Good for him.

Who is on your Billiken all-time all-walk on team?

Hines, Phillip Hunt, maybe Wendell Bennett, didn't John Redden start out as a walk on?

59 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Hines, Phillip Hunt, maybe Wendell Bennett, didn't John Redden start out as a walk on?

Wendell Bennett.....oh my.  I remember him.  I think he only scored in one game in the three years we was on the bench.  Wasn't he from New Yawk? 

Throwing out some other walk on name's, how about Chaminade's Carlos Sharlow?  And I think I saw Diego Garcia play in his only game.

1 hour ago, RUBillsFan said:

Who was the kid who Sodie put in instead of Dustin Maguire? He was a walk-on who on occasion got some meaningful minutes.

A couple of takeaways from the UMass board....

1. They thought Ford was a good game day coach, contrary to what we have been hearing.

2. Before the game, they didn't understand how a team could go for long periods of time without a basket. Then we go the final 7 36 of the game without a basket AND beat them.