Recruiting - 2018 class

NextYearBill

2 minutes ago, Pistol said:

If Watson's top priority by far is getting starter minutes as a freshman - assuming we'll have Henriquez, Bess, Graves, Moore, Roby, and Goodwin returning, and Thatch commits first - then yeah, he might go somewhere else. But we can move on.

There could be room for both, but it may require both Bishop and Roby transferring.

Roby won't be here, correct?  Isn't he a senior next year for Goodwin's freshmen year.  

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Bills_06 said:

Roby won't be here, correct?  Isn't he a senior next year for Goodwin's freshmen year.  

My mistake. I was thinking about a conversation I was having about Mark Smith yesterday.

There is no way a guy who is ranked as high as Watson is thinks he's not playing great minutes anywhere he goes in the country. (minus top 5 programs)

If he is worried about minutes in choosing a college destination, he either isn't that good or doesn't realize how good he is. 

SLU would have plenty of minutes to go around regardless. So much can happen in the 2 years before he would be on campus. Remember sometimes guys you don't want to transfer wind up transferring. It isn't just the guys who get the boot. 

1 hour ago, JMM28 said:

There is no way a guy who is ranked as high as Watson is thinks he's not playing great minutes anywhere he goes in the country. (minus top 5 programs)

If he is worried about minutes in choosing a college destination, he either isn't that good or doesn't realize how good he is. 

SLU would have plenty of minutes to go around regardless. So much can happen in the 2 years before he would be on campus. Remember sometimes guys you don't want to transfer wind up transferring. It isn't just the guys who get the boot. 

There's a top 50 player freshman playing for VCU right now who averages less than 15 min a game. There are simpler more experienced players playing in front of him. Yet VCU is not even close to a top 5 program. A school's ranking tells you nothing about the depth at a player's position. You have to examine a team's roster.

That's a big reason why there are a gazillion transfers each year - not enough players are doing their due diligence and evaluating the talent at their position. We should applaud families that do. Tyler Cook, for example, chose Iowa which graduated a starter at his position. Smart move.

2 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

There's a top 50 player freshman playing for VCU right now who averages less than 15 min a game. There are simpler more experienced players playing in front of him. Yet VCU is not even close to a top 5 program. A school's ranking tells you nothing about the depth at a player's position. You have to examine a team's roster.

That's a big reason why there are a gazillion transfers each year - not enough players are doing their due diligence and evaluating the talent at their position. We should applaud families that do. Tyler Cook, for example, chose Iowa which graduated a starter at his position. Smart move.

Most teams play 3 guard/wing players. All he has to do is crack the top 6 of those players and he gets decent minutes. He doesn't think he can do that? If he wants star minutes all he has to do is be a star.

29 minutes ago, kmbilliken said:

Most teams play 3 guard/wing players. All he has to do is crack the top 6 of those players and he gets decent minutes. He doesn't think he can do that? If he wants star minutes all he has to do is be a star.

Or he could just go to a top 50 program who's graduating a starter at his position.

When recruiting a kid, there are any number of things that could matter:

• Playing time his freshman year
  • Playing time all 4 years
  • Chance to win
  • Distance from home (close is not always better)
  • Perception of program
  • Exposure (TV) of program
  • Social considerations (girlfriends, friends, etc.)
  • Academics
  • Facilities and campus
  • Fit with the coaches
  • Tenure of the coach (is he going to leave at first opportunity, is he going to get fired, etc.)
  • How hard the coaches recruit him

Any recruiter worth his salt, and Ford is definitely a good recruiter, should know which points to emphasize with prospects. I'm sure he stressed the available playing time to the transfers and 2017 recruits. He won't stress that as much with the 2018 kids, particularly the guards, but there's an enormous amount of playing time in years 2-4 for any 2018 and there's probably quite a bit in the freshman year if he's good enough. That being said, if the ONLY priority for a kid is freshman year playing time, Ford's going to have a harder time starting with the 2018 class.

2 hours ago, kshoe said:

When recruiting a kid, there are any number of things that could matter:

• Playing time his freshman year
  • Playing time all 4 years
  • Chance to win
  • Distance from home (close is not always better)
  • Perception of program
  • Exposure (TV) of program
  • Social considerations (girlfriends, friends, etc.)
  • Academics
  • Facilities and campus
  • Fit with the coaches
  • Tenure of the coach (is he going to leave at first opportunity, is he going to get fired, etc.)
  • How hard the coaches recruit him

Any recruiter worth his salt, and Ford is definitely a good recruiter, should know which points to emphasize with prospects. I'm sure he stressed the available playing time to the transfers and 2017 recruits. He won't stress that as much with the 2018 kids, particularly the guards, but there's an enormous amount of playing time in years 2-4 for any 2018 and there's probably quite a bit in the freshman year if he's good enough. That being said, if the ONLY priority for a kid is freshman year playing time, Ford's going to have a harder time starting with the 2018 class.

Great point KShoe. Two other interesting factors that play into the decision are:

• His High School / AAU Coaches relationship with the program
  • The School's Jerseys / Brand (i.e. Adidas vs. Nike)

7 minutes ago, NH said:

Great point KShoe. Two other interesting factors that play into the decision are:

• His High School / AAU Coaches relationship with the program
  • The School's Jerseys / Brand (i.e. Adidas vs. Nike)

You are correct on these two additions.  Tate is the prime example of your first point.

32 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Strong noise from the street says the Bills are carefully watching a 6'2" SG from DeSmet.  Currently he is averaging 10.3 ppg but hitting 49% from the three. 

Fords son

1 hour ago, gobillsgo said:

I feel dumb. 

Well, I threw out the bait to see who I could hook.  Coaches sons are typically preferred walk on's.  I assume relatives get a break on tuition. I'm not sure if Alford's son at UCLA is on scholarship or a walk on.  Cal's son is a walk on at Kentucky.

Just now, HoosierPal said:

Well, I threw out the bait to see who I could hook.  Coaches sons are typically preferred walk on's.  I assume relatives get a break on tuition. I'm not sure ifAlford's son at UCLA is on scholarship or a walk on.  Cal's son is a walk on at Kentucky.

Yeah, this MBM is wondering if he'd be a walk on because he'd just be a walk on, or if it's  because his father is an employee and he gets a free ride anyway. I remember Laurie's kid at Mizzou saving a scholarship due to his wealthy father just paying the tuition. (And that's not the same thing of course.)

27 minutes ago, White Pelican said:

Yeah, this MBM is wondering if he'd be a walk on because he'd just be a walk on, or if it's  because his father is an employee and he gets a free ride anyway. I remember Laurie's kid at Mizzou saving a scholarship due to his wealthy father just paying the tuition. (And that's not the same thing of course.)

One has to assume that if he walks on, it is because his Father is Coach.  It is always an interesting conversation when a son follows his coaching father to his school.  It does put pressure on both father and son in that situation.  If the son isn't really, really good, the coach is criticized for any PT he gives him.

Brooks stat line is interesting.  He is 26 of 53 from behind the arc (49%) but only 13 of 30 inside the arc (43%)  He hasn't had many FT attempts but is only 9 of 14.  My pure guess would have been 'ice' at the FT line.  8 assists and 16 TO's in 11 games.