Recruiting - 2017

RUBillsFan

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

42 minutes ago, ACE said:

Weird story developing... Mitchell Robinson, the 5-star recruit who made headlines by signing with Western Kentucky, has cleared out his dorm and is leaving. 

Didn't the assistant coach that brought him in, leave the program or get fired about a month ago?

2 hours ago, teamarete said:

Yes, williams and cheeks both resigned within days of each other.

plus, Williams, the AC, was Robinson's godfather.  I heard that Coach Martin has a spot for another AC and has offered the job to Williams:lol:

Anyone ever wonder what happened to Alonzo Verge? I got curious and looked him up today. He signed with Moberly Area Community College, about 45 minutes north of Columbia, MO. He's not eligible for D-I yet, probably given the amount and timing of his HS transfers. He'll be in D-I in a year or two, though. Was a high-level prospect before the last few transfers and eligibility issues.

33 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Anyone ever wonder what happened to Alonzo Verge? I got curious and looked him up today. He signed with Moberly Area Community College, about 45 minutes north of Columbia, MO. He's not eligible for D-I yet, probably given the amount and timing of his HS transfers. He'll be in D-I in a year or two, though. Was a high-level prospect before the last few transfers and eligibility issues.

I didnt know he played for St Louis eagles at one time

18 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Yeah, during 2015 he and Tilmon and Goodwin played up a level with the 2016 kids- Tatum, Cook, Sneed, Barnes, et al. So not only did he play with the Eagles, he was playing up a year. He's a unique offensive talent.

22 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Yeah, he was a key player for them and playing up (along with Goodwin, Tilmon, David Sloan, and Reggie Crawford I think) with Tatum and that crew that made it to the Peach Jam finals. He switched programs his final AAU season though. I remember him showing some flashes that season with the Eagles.

Anyone know where David Sloan ended up? He was another nice looking player not from St. Louis playing up with that Eagles squad.

38 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Yeah, he was a key player for them and playing up (along with Goodwin, Tilmon, David Sloan, and Reggie Crawford I think) with Tatum and that crew that made it to the Peach Jam finals. He switched programs his final AAU season though. I remember him showing some flashes that season with the Eagles.

Anyone know where David Sloan ended up? He was another nice looking player not from St. Louis playing up with that Eagles squad.

John A. Logan College (IL), after similar patterns of ill-advised transfers too late in the game, as was the case with Verge.

Sloan went to Taylor County, but wanted to transfer to Ballard in Louisville. He was denied eligibility after enrolling at Ballard, so he transferred to Conrad Academy in Florida. He put up big numbers there for what appears to be half a season before going to Twenty Two Feet Academy in South Carolina. This appears to be a basketball-focused charter that has paired with Anderson Christian School for the classroom half of things. As far as I can tell, Sloan made the move in January or February. So he spent his senior year in at least three different places in three states, and I'm sure he has eligibility issues keeping him from D-I.

Like Verge, he should end up in D-I as soon as he's allowed. This kid had offers from Louisville, Texas, Butler, Tennessee, Iowa State, Mizzou, and others at various points.

Two things:

-Interesting that both Verge and Sloan wind up about two hours away from St. Louis. They'll be worth keeping an eye on.

-I don't know what the case was with Verge, but Sloan's transfer decisions were informed by people who gave him bad advice. He was told he would be eligible at Ballard, and wasn't. The coach there was very public in stating how he thought Sloan got screwed. Then he winds up at a couple shady schools in Florida, no doubt led by coaches/administrators without his best interests in mind. I know all the transfers reflect poorly on these players, but I think there are some questionable adult influences in their ears sometimes.

On 8/3/2017 at 3:59 PM, Pistol said:

Two things:

-Interesting that both Verge and Sloan wind up about two hours away from St. Louis. They'll be worth keeping an eye on.

-I don't know what the case was with Verge, but Sloan's transfer decisions were informed by people who gave him bad advice. He was told he would be eligible at Ballard, and wasn't. The coach there was very public in stating how he thought Sloan got screwed. Then he winds up at a couple shady schools in Florida, no doubt led by coaches/administrators without his best interests in mind. I know all the transfers reflect poorly on these players, but I think there are some questionable adult influences in their ears sometimes.

Verge had some issues outside of basketball.  Hope everything works out for him.  I saw Sloan on the AAU circuit last summer.  He looked like he had put on weight and was slower than he was when he played with the Eagles.  Maybe this year of JUCO will get them back on the right track.

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to hear something about how French is doing in practices? If he is really ranked that high I would think he should be making an impression.  A strong inside player would really make a difference on this team.

56 minutes ago, Aquinas said:

I would like to hear something about how French is doing in practices? If he is really ranked that high I would think he should be making an impression.  A strong inside player would really make a difference on this team.

I believe I have said prior that he has been considered one of the better players on the team

56 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

I believe I have said prior that he has been considered one of the better players on the team

Where are you seated during games? I want to be near you for live commentary on the action