Gibson Jimerson and Robbie Avila – The Kilcoyne Conversation

https://www.scoopswithdannymac.com/gibson-jimerson-and-robbie-avila-the-kilcoyne-conversation/

FF to about 5 min for the start of the conversation with Jimerson.  "It was like I transferred without transferring" Jimerson's comment on staying at SLU with a new coach and new system.  Getting Bonner's point record is important to him.  He knows Highmark, but not Clag or Bonner.  He is focused on getting to the NCAA tourney.  "That would be special."  Proud of playing the best basketball at the end of this previous system, with everything that was happening.  Last team talk with Ford was after the last A10 conference game.  Wrapping up his master's program in Business Administration this month.  He got this done in a year.  Won't do anything more academically this coming season.  Will focus on basketball.  If there is an option professionally he will take it, but he isn't 'putting all his eggs into that basket.' 

Avila at 20 min.  Obviously following Schertz, and his trust in Avila, was a huge factor. Was recruited by mid-majors out of high school, particularly Valley Schools.  His final choice was between UNI and ISU.  Awesome to continue playing with Swope.  All 5 ISU starters had talked about staying together, but it didn't happen.  "It's bigger than the money"...his comment on the portal.  He knew he was following Schertz when he entered the portal.  Likes the Champion's Center and Chaifetz being available.  He hasn't met Dr. Chaifetz yet, even though he is a Chicago guy just like Avila.  He has not met Larry Bird either.  Thinks his game is similar to Jokic and Domantas Sabonis and Kevin Love.  His Dad started coaching him on dribble, pass, and shoot early on.  Goal is nothing short of an A10 championship.  Excited to use his player profile with goggles  as a platform for young players who need goggles.  NIL for Goggle company is coming.  Likes "Rob Way" and "SLU Alcindor" for nicknames.  [South Side Chicago White Sox baseball fan.]

jonny karate likes this

When did goggles become known as googles? Second time I’ve seen it in relation to Avila’s rec specs.

12 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

When did goggles become known as googles? Second time I’ve seen it in relation to Avila’s rec specs.

Ha. That’s what auto correct does. (Went back and changed it - appreciate  your comment.)

Great interviews! Gibson watched ISU during the season because he is into analytics and wanted to see them play. Way before Schertz SLU rumors. Gibson will grasp this system  quickly.

46 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Ha. That’s what auto correct does. (Went back and changed it - appreciate  your comment.)

You missed "for young players who need googles." Sorry, it's the wannabe editor in me.

HoosierPal likes this

1 hour ago, Matty Light said:

I like the SLU Alcindar name, it makes me chuckle. But it doesn't really work because Kareem didn't wear goggles when he went by Lew.

Yeah, this is my big quibble with it as well.  I still think it is the best SLU or St. Louis centric nickname, but it doesn't really sit right with me because of the historical inaccuracy.  I still like Cream Abdul-Jabbar the most.

28 minutes ago, almaman said:

that's cool about GJ being done with school & can fully concentrate on BB.

I found that comment interesting. He isn’t going for a second masters. But he has to be enrolled in something to be eligible to play ball. I wonder why that entails….an hour online discussion course in pick and roll?  Will @billiken_roybe upset that Gibson is not a 'full time student'  😃?

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

I found that comment interesting. He isn’t going for a second masters. But he has to be enrolled in something to be eligible to play ball. I wonder why that entails….an hour online discussion course in pick and roll?  Will @billiken_roybe upset that Gibson is not a 'full time student'  😃?

You are basically saying that he is coming back as a professional player if he is not going into any kind of academic program. Interesting. Will this work with the NCAA?

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

I’m not certain about this, but many grad transfers/post-grad seniors that SLU has had have been enrolled in a program called Certificate in Organizational Leadership, or something like that. In at least one situation, I remember reading that the program doesn’t actually start until some point in the season, which effectively allows the enrollees to be “enrolled” in an academic program to be eligible, but it allows much more flexibility in scheduling.

Old guy and HoosierPal like this

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

giphy_jUwpNzg9IcyrK_fixed_width001.gif.b8793462c3709a0094da2026861357a8.gif

Well, if our compliance dept is squared away I would think they’d tell Gibby you gotta take some courses. Suggestions: Pop Culture 101, Taylor Swift Music Appreciation, Pottery 101. Pilot Training at Parks. Plenty of ways to fill up his hours away from the Gym. 

18 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Well, if our compliance dept is squared away I would think they’d tell Gibby you gotta take some courses. Suggestions: Pop Culture 101, Taylor Swift Music Appreciation, Pottery 101. Pilot Training at Parks. Plenty of ways to fill up his hours away from the Gym. 

I’d recommend Intro to Earthquakes and Intro to Poetry to GJ.  They were staples of the general electives back in the 90s.  👍👍

3 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Yes

HoosierPal and Fraz like this

Gibson said he’s dating a St. Louis girl who was instrumental for him in the portal.  Sounds like he has a keeper.

Also, said he plans to stay in St. Louis long term as it’s where she is from.  I was happy to hear it’s a place he wants to live and have a career.  Too often the city gets sold short imo

Soderball and AGB91 like this

On 4/25/2024 at 2:57 PM, HoosierPal said:

https://www.scoopswithdannymac.com/gibson-jimerson-and-robbie-avila-the-kilcoyne-conversation/

FF to about 5 min for the start of the conversation with Jimerson.  "It was like I transferred without transferring" Jimerson's comment on staying at SLU with a new coach and new system.  Getting Bonner's point record is important to him.  He knows Highmark, but not Clag or Bonner.  He is focused on getting to the NCAA tourney.  "That would be special."  Proud of playing the best basketball at the end of this previous system, with everything that was happening.  Last team talk with Ford was after the last A10 conference game.  Wrapping up his master's program in Business Administration this month.  He got this done in a year.  Won't do anything more academically this coming season.  Will focus on basketball.  If there is an option professionally he will take it, but he isn't 'putting all his eggs into that basket.' 

Avila at 20 min.  Obviously following Schertz, and his trust in Avila, was a huge factor. Was recruited by mid-majors out of high school, particularly Valley Schools.  His final choice was between UNI and ISU.  Awesome to continue playing with Swope.  All 5 ISU starters had talked about staying together, but it didn't happen.  "It's bigger than the money"...his comment on the portal.  He knew he was following Schertz when he entered the portal.  Likes the Champion's Center and Chaifetz being available.  He hasn't met Dr. Chaifetz yet, even though he is a Chicago guy just like Avila.  He has not met Larry Bird either.  Thinks his game is similar to Jokic and Domantas Sabonis and Kevin Love.  His Dad started coaching him on dribble, pass, and shoot early on.  Goal is nothing short of an A10 championship.  Excited to use his player profile with goggles  as a platform for young players who need googles.  NIL for Goggle company is coming.  Likes "Rob Way" and "SLU Alcindor" for nicknames.  [South Side Chicago White Sox baseball fan.]

FWIW, he's saying "Rob Wave." A play on the name of a rapper, Rod Wave, of whom Robbie's a big fan. He's got some good music

What's yo favorite Rod Wave Lyric? : r/rodwave

Rod Wave Blasts Social Media Blogs for Spreading Cheating Rumors - XXL

Pistol likes this