WNIT GDT - Go Billikens!

5 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Highlights:

Even if Braun doesn't play, Gophers should win easily. What I saw of Saint Louis on ESPN+ last night they were awful. Troy looked a lot better than either Saint Louis or Vermont (yuck).

Reserve a spot for that banner.
Gophers look extremely slow; very ugly start. This St Louis team is not good, simply out hustling Gophers in every part of the game.
Boy, whoever said that we were gonna run over Saint Louis must look like a huge idiot right now.🤣

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, thatskablamo said:

Ah . I forgot (on purpose) about that. Tragedy, nonetheless. 

The biggest tragedy was having to sit through the game. 

2 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Thanks for posting that. I think they had a lot more respect for our team after that beatdown. We were clearly quicker and I think we ran them into the ground. Their bigs were winded almost all game.

And the Dick Cheney shooting joke came out of left field. Who even thinks of that anymore?🤣

6 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

What got me was them complaining about the traveling they had to do in the post season. The B1G women’s tournament was at the Target Center in Minneapolis, so they had to play 2 games (they lost in the second round in the B1G) in a different arena in the same city, then they got a first round bye in the WNIT, then played 2 games at home.  Their only real traveling all postseason was this week, when they went to Laramie, WY on Monday, then Troy, AL on Wednesday, then came straight here (as reported here when someone saw them arrive in Lambert Thursday morning). The Billikens postseason schedule was 3 games in the A10 tournament in Henrico, VA, on the road to Conway, AR for game 1 (while Minn was sitting at home), then one home game, then Fort Wayne, IN, then Madison, WI, then Burlington, VT, then Edwardsville. The Minnesota postseason was 2 home games, 2 games in a different arena in their hometown, and 3 road games. The Billiken postseason was 1 home game, 1 game in a different arena in our hometown, and 7 road games. I will agree that their last week sucked, Laramie, Wy to Troy, AL to St Louis, but our traveling was Fort Wayne, IN to Madison, WI to Burlington, VT, then back to St Louis. They were probably in town resting up for the game before the Billikens were. 

Heavy is the burden of a P5 team forced to travel around the country for one week like they were a mere mid-major team….

2 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

You’re all missing the weirdest one including a tweet by a former SLU Womens Basketball Coach. image.thumb.jpeg.ee0e88ecc43001edc6f5b5bf8600e42e.jpeg

Wild!  Thanks for posting the link.  And how did Martinez not make the All-WNIT team?!                

On the other hand, Peyton totally deserved the MVP.          

2024 Postseason WNIT All-Tournament team:

Emma Utterback – Vermont
Ja’Mia Hollings – Troy
Amaya Battle – Minnesota
Mallory Heyer – Minnesota
Kyla McMakin – Saint Louis
Peyton Kennedy – Saint Louis (MVP)

8 hours ago, White Pelican said:

And the Dick Cheney shooting joke came out of left field. Who even thinks of that anymore?🤣

When I read that, it made my Sunday morning, could not stop laughing. I'll have to remember that one.

21 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

You’re all missing the weirdest one including a tweet by a former SLU Womens Basketball Coach. image.thumb.jpeg.ee0e88ecc43001edc6f5b5bf8600e42e.jpeg

WOW! Talk about a someone from the past that was from the evil Dark Ages of SLU WBB.

Curious, where is she now?

16 minutes ago, Gremio14 said:

Wild!  Thanks for posting the link.  And how did Martinez not make the All-WNIT team?!                

On the other hand, Peyton totally deserved the MVP.          

2024 Postseason WNIT All-Tournament team:

Emma Utterback – Vermont
Ja’Mia Hollings – Troy
Amaya Battle – Minnesota
Mallory Heyer – Minnesota
Kyla McMakin – Saint Louis
Peyton Kennedy – Saint Louis (MVP)

Julia Martinez didn’t make it because they allocate slots to teams and only look at points. The two teams that lost in the “Fab 4” each get one, the player who scored the most on each team. Check. Minnesota, as runner up, gets 2. With Maya Braun injured, they went with the two who most scored in their tournament run. That leaves 2 for St Louis. Kyla McMakin gets on the all tournament teams for scoring the second highest amount of points, and Peyton Kennedy, who carried the Billikens for the entire run, gets MVP. Very deserved, I might add. They don’t look at other stats besides points, but they should. 

Retire #11. Hang that jersey up and don’t give it out to any future Billiken player. Julia Martinez is in a class all by herself for everything she did.

5 minutes ago, MusicCityBilliken said:

WOW! Talk about a someone from the past that was from the evil Dark Ages of SLU WBB.

Curious, where is she now?

She’s a studio analyst for the Big Ten Network.  That’s probably why she’s commenting on those posts and focusing on Big Ten teams. 

i had a lot of conversations with Shimmy while she was the coach at slu.   she was fun to talk to and she obviously loved basketball.   watching her games though, it was obvious she was the women's version of ford, i.e. a recruiter but not a coach.   the legends of her practice and lockerroom tirades are boderline scary and the fact she chased off a number of very good players that ended up transferring up was her end.  an analyst position is probably the best place for her and i believe ford will end up the same.  

Adman and Billikenbooster like this

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

i had a lot of conversations with Shimmy while she was the coach at slu.   she was fun to talk to and she obviously loved basketball.   watching her games though, it was obvious she was the women's version of ford, i.e. a recruiter but not a coach.   the legends of her practice and lockerroom tirades are boderline scary and the fact she chased off a number of very good players that ended up transferring up was her end.  an analyst position is probably the best place for her and i believe ford will end up the same.  

What not a shoe salesperson?

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

Played against Shimmy in a Students vs Faculty charity game, and she was… not nice.

Bizarrely chewed out a men’s player (Dwayne Evans, I think) while he was reffing. And was trying to talk trash all game, it was really weird. 

brianstl and AMDG-Unit like this

8 minutes ago, Zink said:

Played against Shimmy in a Students vs Faculty charity game, and she was… not nice.

Bizarrely chewed out a men’s player (Dwayne Evans, I think) while he was reffing. And was trying to talk trash all game, it was really weird. 

I’ve seen the really sweet side of Shimmy, but she enters another reality when basketball is involved. 

2 hours ago, Zink said:

you never played competive sports did you?   at that level you are competitor and hate to lose.   your mantra changes.   the polite good guy during the game is rare and it is a curse that follows you forever.  in fact once your playing days are over, it translates to your fanship normally.    it is like an incurable disease.   but honestly I wouldnt have it any other way.   losers lose and accept it.  i detest it.  you want to criticize me for it, again i ask, "you never played competitive sports did you?"

4 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

A former patient of mine played for SLU one year for Shimmy. Said exactly what Roy said.

Full of energy at Billiken Club meetings, but a different person in the locker room and practice.

2 hours ago, Billikenbooster said:

A former patient of mine played for SLU one year for Shimmy. Said exactly what Roy said.

Full of energy at Billiken Club meetings, but a different person in the locker room and practice.

Thank God the portal was not in existence during the Shimmy years. The roster would have had a 100% turnover every year.

Shimmy did know how to PR herself. Loved her blog. Also, didn't they make a documentary movie about the team during her tenure?

14 minutes ago, MusicCityBilliken said:

Thank God the portal was not in existence during the Shimmy years. The roster would have probably had a 100% turnover every year.

Shimmy did know how to PR herself. Loved her blog. Also, didn't they make a documentary movie about the team during her tenure?

Yes. It’s on Vimeo. I can’t get a link right now. 

it’s called the Gray Seasons 

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

you never played competive sports did you?   at that level you are competitor and hate to lose.   your mantra changes.   the polite good guy during the game is rare and it is a curse that follows you forever.  in fact once your playing days are over, it translates to your fanship normally.    it is like an incurable disease.   but honestly I wouldnt have it any other way.   losers lose and accept it.  i detest it.  you want to criticize me for it, again i ask, "you never played competitive sports did you?"

Gotta disagree. 

Not having the ability to distinguish between rec vs competitive sports is immature. No need to be an @ss when you could just play hard. Plenty of the world’s greatest athletes were also noted for their sportsmanship. We like to highlight the “edge” that guys like MJ and Kobe had, but for everyone like that there is a Messi or Russell. You don’t have to be mean or condescending to be a great athlete. 

And I say this only because you threw some unnecessary ad hominem shade, but a) we beat the faculty team (including her, Tony Young, and some tall prof who played D1 with a name I can’t remember) pretty handily that year and b) I was a starter for our club soccer team at SLU and played soccer and baseball at a pretty high level in HS (idk what you consider competitive sports, so laying it on the table). 

15 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

Julia Martinez didn’t make it because they allocate slots to teams and only look at points. The two teams that lost in the “Fab 4” each get one, the player who scored the most on each team. Check. Minnesota, as runner up, gets 2. With Maya Braun injured, they went with the two who most scored in their tournament run. That leaves 2 for St Louis. Kyla McMakin gets on the all tournament teams for scoring the second highest amount of points, and Peyton Kennedy, who carried the Billikens for the entire run, gets MVP. Very deserved, I might add. They don’t look at other stats besides points, but they should. 

Retire #11. Hang that jersey up and don’t give it out to any future Billiken player. Julia Martinez is in a class all by herself for everything she did.

If anyone deserves recognition it is Jackie Kemph.  The line begins after her.  Flowers & McMakin as national record holders and all conference selections are right behind her. Kyla's minutes played record may never be broken. Peyton Kennedy, if she comes back, is only 731 points behind the all time record, 21 ppg for 35 games will do it.  Martinez was an all time glue player, the best all around player the Billikens have ever had but probably not worthy of jersey retirement.  I hope this success spurs on some more recognition for the women in Chaifetz arena though.

BuiltFordBills and AGB91 like this