Coaching Carousel 2024

16 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

Porter was choice #1 around these parts too, but the word on the street is that his wife wants to move back home. 

Even the worst parts of Chicago are better than the best parts of Norman. And I once had to call on Loretto Hospital off 290 in South Austin/ West Garfield Park. Get the Kevlar on, folks.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

53 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

Porter was choice #1 around these parts too, but the word on the street is that his wife wants to move back home. 

That was why he left us for Loyola - he could have waited around a year and had our job but she wanted back.  I wondered how going to OK was going to work out.

46 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

A coach leaving KenPom’s top-ranked college basketball conference a year after an at-large bid to take a coaching position at a basketball-only school where coaches seem to go to die? Some on here would say impossible. 

It's a very very rare occurrence. Confluence of a few events, Porter not performing up to OU standards 0-6 vs Texas, plus Sampson having UH at #1 in the same conference really stings, new AD coming in and Oklahoma sucks. B12 is brutal, there's a very vocal part of the Texas fanbase that wants Rodney Terry gone 1 season removed from elite 8 run.

16 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

That was why he left us for Loyola - he could have waited around a year and had our job but she wanted back.  I wondered how going to OK was going to work out.

Bummer. The outside chance as slim as it was of having Moser back at SLU was at least comforting if nothing else. My years as a SLU fan have me worried that the dominoes will start falling and May will just watch it all unfold around him.

7 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

It's a very very rare occurrence. Confluence of a few events, Porter not performing up to OU standards 0-6 vs Texas, plus Sampson having UH at #1 in the same conference really stings, new AD coming in and Oklahoma sucks. B12 is brutal, there's a very vocal part of the Texas fanbase that wants Rodney Terry gone 1 season removed from elite 8 run.

Doesn't OU move to the SEC next year? The SEC, along with the B10, are probably the only 2 football conferences safe from dissolution at this point. Agree it's not something you see often. More often than not I'd imagine a move like that would require some sort of personal connection to a person/city/school where high value is placed on this connection. In Porter's case, it may be location. A common occurrence? No. Impossible? Also no. 

5 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Doesn't OU move to the SEC next year? The SEC, along with the B10, are probably the only 2 football conferences safe from dissolution at this point. Agree it's not something you see often. More often than not I'd imagine a move like that would require some sort of personal connection to a person/city/school where high value is placed on this connection. In Porter's case, it may be location. A common occurrence? No. Impossible? Also no. 

Yeah they'll be in the SEC which is also brutal. B12 is the toughest basketball conference last year and this year next year it might be as well with addition of Arizona.

Nothing is impossible. SLU once hired one of the best coaches in the country.

7 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

1 minute ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Yeah they'll be in the SEC which is also brutal. B12 is the toughest basketball conference last year and this year next year it might be as well with addition of Arizona.

Nothing is impossible. SLU once hired one of the best coaches in the country.

The chance is non-zero…

I think he's saying Porter maybe to SLU.

SLU has options it's an attractive job, good location for recruiting, good facilities, decent conference, good support, need to upgrade the AD but the ingredients are there:

Mack

Porter

Schertz

All could be really good. 2 still coaching this season. All probably have their own options Porter DePaul, not sure on the others. Lots of dominoes. I do feel better about things I've heard about Chaifetz and really hope he's driving this with May sitting in the corner.

14 minutes ago, TheOne said:

The chance is non-zero…

Just hope the people making the decision realize if they are being used for leverage and if they are they quickly move on to the next guy before the next guy comes to some kind of agreement somewhere else.  

I don't care about hiring the biggest name we can get.  We need to hire the right guy to coach this program right now.  The college basketball world is completely different than it was even 2 years ago.

Unfortunately, another coach still coaching this season: Ford. I'm a glass completely empty kind guy so until Ford is officially gone I'm still anxious. Pull the freaking band-aid already Mickey Mouse May.

Given the choice between Porter, Schertz and Mack, I go back and forth on who I think would be best. 

Can't be emotional in these situations it's business. If someone is outside your walk away price then you fall back to your best alternative to a negotiated agreement and try the next guy.

In terms of salary Porter is probably the highest with Mack close then Schertz significantly less unless Schertz gets P5/6 attention.

David King likes this

Bills win 2 in Brooklyn and it’s 50-50 Ford will be retained. Is an announcement still scheduled for today? Wonder if Ford will go the Kenny Payne route.

Just now, brianstl said:

Louisville is open.

UofL and if OU opens too those are big programs that cause a lot of dominoes.  Hope FAU enjoyed their run 

4 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

Bills win 2 in Brooklyn and it’s 50-50 Ford will be retained. Is an announcement still scheduled for today? Wonder if Ford will go the Kenny Payne route.

If we win 2 in Brooklyn, it'll be in spite of Ford. Still can his a**.

As evidenced by my messages on here, I don't know jack squat about jack squat. But it's funny how my personal view of DeVries has gone from thinking he's beneath us to him probably thinking the SLU job is beneath him.

As for my top choice, it's still Mack. Not worried one bit about the guy being able to operate in the NIL era. We know he can coach. We know he gets his teams to the tournament. Unless it's hubris (or he's sick of hanging out with his wife all day long), you don't re-enter coaching after significant changes to the coaching/recruiting landscape unless you are confident you can effectively adapt, right?

Coaching dominoes starting to fall now...

2 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

UofL and if OU opens too those are big programs that cause a lot of dominoes.  Hope FAU enjoyed their run 

If you are Dusty May do you take a higher perceived name job or do you take the Miami job if Larrañaga decides to retire?  I would be tempted to stay in south Florida. 

19 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Just hope the people making the decision realize if they are being used for leverage and if they are they quickly move on to the next guy before the next guy comes to some kind of agreement somewhere else.  

I don't care about hiring the biggest name we can get.  We need to hire the right guy to coach this program right now.  The college basketball world is completely different than it was even 2 years ago.

I don't know if Porter needs the leverage really. He has a job with a healthy contract already and isn't in danger of being fired this cycle. He apparently has some sort of potential offer at DePaul as well. 

SLU is a much better job than DePaul in basically every category except conference affiliation. But DePaul is at 'home' for the family. 

11 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Given the choice between Porter, Schertz and Mack, I go back and forth on who I think would be best. 

Can't be emotional in these situations it's business. If someone is outside your walk away price then you fall back to your best alternative to a negotiated agreement and try the next guy.

In terms of salary Porter is probably the highest with Mack close then Schertz significantly less unless Schertz gets P5/6 attention.

Shertz', Avila's, and Swopes' combined salaries are much less than Mack's or Porter's. 

TheA_Bomb and VeniceMenace like this

2 minutes ago, brianstl said:

If you are Dusty May do you take a higher perceived name job or do you take the Miami job if Larrañaga decides to retire?  I would be tempted to stay in south Florida. 

Unless the IU job opened up, me too

Just now, brianstl said:

That's a tough one Miami was just in the Final Four but Louisville is a basketball school....

May is from Peoria, he's an Indiana graduate but been coaching in FL a while.  He'll listen to both and get paid. IU should've canned Woodson and locked him up.

4 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Miami has as much money as anybody if money was the concern. Would make sense.