GDT: SLU v. Fordham

1 hour ago, thunderdan said:

For all the hate Curcic gets (granted, from a vocal minority on this board), I think he’s got promise. He’s undersized, but he’s an excellent shooter, works hard on the defensive end, and plays smart. Curcic and Kellen were on the floor when the comeback happened (I love TJ, but he was on the bench during this time). 

Much like defenses have figured out Gibson (yet another clunker of a game), I feel they’ve done the same with Ezewiro. For a big, strong guy, he gets blocked a lot.

first i agree curcic deserves a chance.  it appears he always plays hard, and he does have some skills.  that said yesterday when he came into the game he screwed up 2 screen situations on defense and in both instances resulted in scores by fordham.  my point is he does lack some basketball knowledge and thus ive seen defensive mistakes.   he is not a point guard as well and our strongest position on the team is wing which is what he is at this time. 

that doesnt mean a strong summer and working on the above like mistakes he couldnt become a better all around player and imo it is worth it to coach him up.   that said, just who do we have associated with the team that can accomplish that?   if we had such a coach/assistant why havent they been doing such all along with the entire team. 

last, in spite of what i wrote above, those apparently above curcic in the pecking order arent getting the job done so cant hurt much more to throw him out there.  

JohnnyJumpUp likes this

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I question the commitment that SLU administration has for athletics in general. Men's & women's soccer might succeed because of local interest in the sport from potential recruits. Otherwise, the teams are usually outclassed. A transfer to The Valley or the OVC might be the right way to go if the administration wants to go cheap. Lower travel costs overall. And, the A-10 has become a 1-bid league, so no loss there.

3 minutes ago, rhagolf said:

I question the commitment that SLU administration has for athletics in general. Men's & women's soccer might succeed because of local interest in the sport from potential recruits. Otherwise, the teams are usually outclassed. A transfer to The Valley or the OVC might be the right way to go if the administration wants to go cheap. Lower travel costs overall. And, the A-10 has become a 1-bid league, so no loss there.

How about NO.  The Valley is trash.  The other Valley is rotting trash.  We just need new leadership, not a lesser conference. .

37 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

The in-game commentary has been disturbing.  Alexa Datt, Scott Highmark, Troy Robertson and now John Giannini have all said poor CTF and poor SLU with all the injuries.  Again, to me it is roster assembly and role player talent.  Parker I get but the rest must be coming from pre-game interviews with CTF and the SLU staff.  Since this team can't seem to fathom defense, what about offense?  Meadows, Hughes, Thames and Medley all average about 5 ppg.  Zhang is at just under 3.  That's 23 ppg from 5 guys.  Jimerson can't get open.  Parker is going on-against-the-world.  Ezewiro is limited and Hargrove is inconsistent.  

Yea, I do not understand the lack of criticism of Ford from most of the local folks.  I think some of it is just towing the company line so to speak.  We have never had any outspoken, prominent media types in the area that cover the bills. 

Who do we want to be as a program and how can we get there?

2 hours ago, thunderdan said:

For all the hate Curcic gets (granted, from a vocal minority on this board), I think he’s got promise. He’s undersized, but he’s an excellent shooter, works hard on the defensive end, and plays smart. Curcic and Kellen were on the floor when the comeback happened (I love TJ, but he was on the bench during this time). 

Much like defenses have figured out Gibson (yet another clunker of a game), I feel they’ve done the same with Ezewiro. For a big, strong guy, he gets blocked a lot.

Who is anti Djordje Curcic? I have seen nothing of the sort. Only criticisms have been from Ford as I’ve seen. 

SLU_Nick likes this

41 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Who is anti Djordje Curcic? I have seen nothing of the sort. Only criticisms have been from Ford as I’ve seen. 

I don’t remember who it was (probably someone I’ve since blocked), but I got railed a couple weeks ago for suggesting Curcic plays more.

4 minutes ago, JettFlight5 said:

Play guys who can score the basketball. We're long past thinking that there is going to be any defense played. 

That’s the key point. Only way we can win is to outscore the other team. Our defense with our best players is bad, so I don’t see how we get much worse on defense. Outscore our bad defense. It worth a shot.

26 minutes ago, thunderdan said:

I don’t remember who it was (probably someone I’ve since blocked), but I got railed a couple weeks ago for suggesting Curcic plays more.

I think you dreamed that.  

3 hours ago, rhagolf said:

The A-10 wouldn’t be a one bid league if a Flyers or Rams level team (not only good but consistent) played in St. Louis.

9 hours ago, AnkielBreakers said:

In fairness, SLU hasn’t tried in the modern age. The only exception is Romar. We have had 3/4 coaches with substantial experience who wanted to ride out the end of their careers here, because they have seen other programs. Who is to say that a solid up and comer wouldn’t plan to settle in? Good recruiting playground, decent amount of money, and solid facilities. That said, you have to hire an up and comer, and then that person have success, to test the theory.

I’m not saying we couldn’t find a Few. But it would be an exception. 

10 hours ago, TRN said:

It’s illegal for CTF to go big, God forbid you put in TWO people taller than 6’5”! That’s not how Pitino did it in 1992, he liked the 5’9” PG and other skinny guys and shorties.  Adjusting and putting size in the game is illegal at SLU, like pressing.

It all comes down to the loss can be blamed on missing key players like Dalger and Meadows JR.  With them available, we obviously win.  #FordApologistPost

This team can't press.  Not enough quickness or talent, and Ezewiro can basically just stand there, he cannot move on the floor due to his conditioning/health.

7 hours ago, TRN said:

Is that an actual quote?  If so, you gotta be sh*tting me.  

That’s his tenure in a nutshell, excuses galore and no ownership.  When you point the finger there are 3 pointing back at you.

This is pathetic. Man-child. CTF needs to grow the fuok up. No wonder his teams have no substance when this is the "leadership"

1 hour ago, thunderdan said:

IMG_5579.thumb.jpeg.f226ef07b14f6712892ca8236882a4b9.jpeg

😴

That was me. I stand by Curcic being bad.

Medley and meadows are worse tho. He should play. Maybe Ford really is this dumb. The complaints about refs during this raging dumpster fire give some validity to that.

34 minutes ago, Old guy said:

As long as the replacement coach we get is not, like Majerus was, sick and close to dying; or a very old coach at the end of a successful and very long career, I will be happy to see Ford gone. 

@willie please review for compliance with Thought Hall Monitor

So we're adding not terminally I'll/dying to not being a rapist as qualifications for the next coach.

I think we can all agree on that point.

CenHudDude and billikenbill like this

On 2/4/2024 at 12:57 PM, OkieBilliken said:

How about NO.  The Valley is trash.  The other Valley is rotting trash.  We just need new leadership, not a lesser conference. .

the MVC plays decent basketball. This discussion already got dealt with eons ago and the MVC does NOT have teams with the investment that VCU and UDayton have. Their leading team is the InSt Sycamores at the Hulman center in Terre Haute. Their coach and his players will be GONE next year. Anthony Grant will still be here.

32 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

@willie please review for compliance with Thought Hall Monitor

So we're adding not terminally I'll/dying to not being a rapist as qualifications for the next coach.

I think we can all agree on that point.

jeez with all the restrictions we'll never find our guy