Chris May podcast

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

I can't say I see the need to hire someone with SLU and/or St. Louis ties.

Fully agree. Resisting the parochial reflex that often plagues this city and program would enable broader strategy and vision for the university and its men’s basketball program. 

18 minutes ago, davidnark said:

Fully agree. Resisting the parochial reflex that often plagues this city and program would enable broader strategy and vision for the university and its men’s basketball program. 

When was the last time we had someone working under the Athletic Director who became an Athletic Director somewhere else down the line?  Was it Debbie Yow with Jamie Pollard, John McBride and Lori Flanigan?

slu92 likes this

3 hours ago, Billikenbooster said:

I’ve sent two emails….yet to get a reply. 

@willie please review for compliance with Thought Hall Monitor:

They don't have a full-time staff that I'm aware of so I can understand there being a lag until you get a reply.

28 minutes ago, brianstl said:

When was the last time we had someone working under the Athletic Director who became an Athletic Director somewhere else down the line?  Was it Debbie Yow with Jamie Pollard, John McBride and Lori Flanigan?

The most successful person to come out of the Athletics department is Kosha Irby by far. I would actually hire him as AD. 

Pistol, gabriel and thatskablamo like this

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

Kosha Irby

@willie please review for compliance with Thought Hall Monitor

Also a flavor of Two Men and a Garden Pickles.  My favorite flavor.

8 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

The most successful person to come out of the Athletics department is Kosha Irby by far. I would actually hire him as AD. 

I remember meeting him around 20 years ago.   He was impressive even then.  He was a Woolard hire I believe and I think it was his first job in athletics. 

47 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

+1000. And with his past experience with the Pro Bull Riders tour, he could lasso up and corral the absolute shi+show of a rodeo Chris May left behind. 

I second the Kosha overture. Come home, Kosha! 

39 minutes ago, Billikenbooster said:

Im talking about first one was last year

@willie please review for compliance with Thought Hall Monitor

So you can probably expect a reply any time now.

I gave up my 50+ year tickets last year because I could no longer abide the volume level of the piped in music and the yelling into the mike of the MC.  But I still followed & kept up with the board.  Recently I moved to within walking distance of the Wash U field house - it’s calling to me…

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

It looks like Irby was recently hired as the COO at AEW wrestling.  Probably out of SLU's price range now.  Irby has a really impressive record after leaving SLU.  The fact that Ari Emanuel put him in charge of marketing for PBR is about as high of an endorsement you can get.

@willie please review below for compliance with Thought Hall Monitor regulations

Someone mentioned Chris Sloan to me. I'm in agreement that we don't have to have a St. Louis connected person but Sloan has actually worked in the sports industry and has relevant experience.

https://theorg.com/org/sofi-stadium-and-hollywood-park/org-chart/chris-sloan

21 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

@willie please review below for compliance with Thought Hall Monitor regulations

Someone mentioned Chris Sloan to me. I'm in agreement that we don't have to have a St. Louis connected person but Sloan has actually worked in the sports industry and has relevant experience.

https://theorg.com/org/sofi-stadium-and-hollywood-park/org-chart/chris-sloan

I would rather stay away from hiring people who work for Stan Kroenke just on principle.

32 minutes ago, Major Majerus said:

I gave up my 50+ year tickets last year because I could no longer abide the volume level of the piped in music and the yelling into the mike of the MC.  But I still followed & kept up with the board.  Recently I moved to within walking distance of the Wash U field house - it’s calling to me…

This is sad... on so many levels.

I hate to say this, but my wife told me earlier tonight that she had found a notice saying that the NCAA had decided student athletes should be allow to form a union. I cannot find this notification anywhere, does anyone have any knowledge about this? Of course if players unionize the whole profile of college sports will change, for the worse I think. I have no idea how this will be implemented or who will pay and for what, assuming this piece of news is correct, which it may not be. Anyone knows?

9 minutes ago, Old guy said:

I hate to say this, but my wife told me earlier tonight that she had found a notice saying that the NCAA had decided student athletes should be allow to form a union. I cannot find this notification anywhere, does anyone have any knowledge about this? Of course if players unionize the whole profile of college sports will change, for the worse I think. I have no idea how this will be implemented or who will pay and for what, assuming this piece of news is correct, which it may not be. Anyone knows?

NLRB decision on Dartmouth basketball players stating they can unionize.  NLRB had a similar ruling for NW FB a few years ago.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2024/02/05/dartmouth-basketball-union/

This appears to be firm and to come from an official government agency. Now, we will have to see where the pieces fall. I will assume that if this applies in a broad fashion, the schools will have to drop most sports. Then there will most likely be litigation about the fate of the scholarships, etc. I do not see how salaries and other benefits may be payable to large numbers of schools, including SLU.

On 2/5/2024 at 12:41 PM, brianstl said:

I believe Chris May helped a few of his proteges start Etsy side hustles….

brianstl likes this

11 hours ago, slu92 said:

lol thanks for the early morning chuckle! I can just imagine a house full of repurposed pallets and the “live laugh love” signs made out of chicken wire and Amway products strewn about the May household, a real proving ground for the multi-level marketing schemes. 

11 hours ago, slu92 said:

I think Joe Yates tried to provide some personal development to at least one member of his staff back in the day     IYKYK

16 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Anyone listen to these podcasts?

Sound quality on the podcasts was bad. The content was unexceptional, the interview with Katie Sheilds was merely talking about last season and good expectations for the next season, the interview the Christy Connoyer was hyping up the new softball season. Nothing earthshaking.

TheA_Bomb likes this