Any new information about recruit Williford

Everything is old on Google.  

Any word on how his season is going?

10 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Wilford Brimley was only 49 when he starred in Cocoon.

When I went through my midlife crisis a few years back I would look up every actor in whatever movie or tv show I was watching and compare their ages during the show to mine at that time. I hit rock bottom when I discovered that I was 2 years older than Kelsey Grammar was at the time he shot season 1 of Frasier (greatest sitcom of all time??)

39 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

When I went through my midlife crisis a few years back I would look up every actor in whatever movie or tv show I was watching and compare their ages during the show to mine at that time. I hit rock bottom when I discovered that I was 2 years older than Kelsey Grammar was at the time he shot season 1 of Frasier (greatest sitcom of all time??)

I fall asleep to Frasier every night, lol. Apparently there's a pretty big community of folks like me, haha. I'm right around the same age as KG was when he started doing Cheers so 🤷‍♂️ (I think he was like 29)

4 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

He won't get any older, and he won't ever die.

Hate to burst your bubble, but the old Postmaster General licked his last stamp on August 1, 2020. But he’s really not dead if we find a way to remember him.

He was also terrific in “The Firm,” which is one of Grisham’s finest screen adaptations.

33 minutes ago, thatskablamo said:

Hate to burst your bubble, but the old Postmaster General licked his last stamp on August 1, 2020. But he’s really not dead if we find a way to remember him.

He was also terrific in “The Firm,” which is one of Grisham’s finest screen adaptations.

He lives on in my heart.

thatskablamo likes this

5 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I think he was born looking like he was 72 years old.

I think he was born with a white mustache.  Crazy to think that he was even younger in The Natural than he was in Coccoon.  I also can't believe I am rocketing toward the Brimley-Coccoon line (https://brimleyline.date/).

Rest in power, beetus man.

I have also been frustrated by the lack of information about Williford's final prep season. He attends Middlebrooks Academy - a charter school named after its founder and head coach. The address of the school per the California Department of Education is a one-story home in Alhambra. The mailing address is a mail center between a dog groomer and sushi restaurant in a strip mall in Studio City.

Middlebrooks' website lists Cathedral High School under the facilities, but I can't figure out if Middlebrooks students actually use the physical classrooms at Cathedral, or whether they attend classes with Cathedral students, or if they just use the gym and weight room in off hours. A lot of schools like this just use online classes. Cathedral is located just across the 110 from Dodger Stadium, just north of downtown Los Angeles.

Middlebrooks does not update its social media accounts often. The schedule on the website has not been updated since after their win on 9/30, the first game of the season. If the schedule is correct, they just had "Post-Grad Nationals" this past weekend. From what I can find on Twitter, this is not a tournament but a weekend showcase event. Middlebrooks played Ascending Life (AZ) on Saturday and Grand Canyon Club (AZ) on Sunday.

Middlebrooks competes in the PEC-6 Conference, which was "established in 2013 to create a credible, NCAA-compliant governing body on the West Coast for post-grad basketball programs". The PEC-6 has its playoffs on March 16-17. Per Middlebrooks' website, they have PEC-6 games at Cathedral this weekend. Per the PEC-6 website, they don't have conference games again until February 16-18.

Williford also doesn't post often, but he will repost SLU-related things in his Instagram stories. He has a current one, so it seems like he's still engaged with the program.

If you can't tell, I'm mildly annoyed that so many players have shifted toward the "prep" schools from traditional high schools. These range from perfectly legitimate institutions that in some cases offer a fifth year to Bishop Sycamore-type "schools". It's really hard to say what's what, and information is often hard to come by.

BLIKNS and BuiltFordBills like this

Thanks for the information, Pistol.

Took alot of work 

26 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I have also been frustrated by the lack of information about Williford's final prep season. He attends Middlebrooks Academy - a charter school named after its founder and head coach. The address of the school per the California Department of Education is a one-story home in Alhambra. The mailing address is a mail center between a dog groomer and sushi restaurant in a strip mall in Studio City.

Middlebrooks' website lists Cathedral High School under the facilities, but I can't figure out if Middlebrooks students actually use the physical classrooms at Cathedral, or whether they attend classes with Cathedral students, or if they just use the gym and weight room in off hours. A lot of schools like this just use online classes. Cathedral is located just across the 110 from Dodger Stadium, just north of downtown Los Angeles.

Middlebrooks does not update its social media accounts often. The schedule on the website has not been updated since after their win on 9/30, the first game of the season. If the schedule is correct, they just had "Post-Grad Nationals" this past weekend. From what I can find on Twitter, this is not a tournament but a weekend showcase event. Middlebrooks played Ascending Life (AZ) on Saturday and Grand Canyon Club (AZ) on Sunday.

Middlebrooks competes in the PEC-6 Conference, which was "established in 2013 to create a credible, NCAA-compliant governing body on the West Coast for post-grad basketball programs". The PEC-6 has its playoffs on March 16-17. Per Middlebrooks' website, they have PEC-6 games at Cathedral this weekend. Per the PEC-6 website, they don't have conference games again until February 16-18.

Williford also doesn't post often, but he will repost SLU-related things in his Instagram stories. He has a current one, so it seems like he's still engaged with the program.

If you can't tell, I'm mildly annoyed that so many players have shifted toward the "prep" schools from traditional high schools. These range from perfectly legitimate institutions that in some cases offer a fifth year to Bishop Sycamore-type "schools". It's really hard to say what's what, and information is often hard to come by.

Do you think he will have trouble qualifying given the school resume seems so ify?  We have seen that before - Reed for one.

Thanks @Pistol

I’m just glad to learn he does not look like a 72 year old man with a white moustache. This thread did confuse me.

However, it’s looking like this “prep” school has decided that the best way to prepare players is to keep all details of their performance secret, which actually sets off alarm bells in my head.

31 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Do you think he will have trouble qualifying given the school resume seems so ify?  We have seen that before - Reed for one.

No. These places are designed to meet NCAA requirements. Plus, how many guys have you seen be academically ineligible out of HS anymore? It just doesn't happen like it used to. A lot has changed since Reed's time; his school that was shady at the time is now the norm. State government agencies are barely paying attention to the schools they're ostensibly overseeing. The NCAA is toothless. If a player can get into a given college, he'll be eligible.

27 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

Thanks @Pistol

I’m just glad to learn he does not look like a 72 year old man with a white moustache. This thread did confuse me.

However, it’s looking like this “prep” school has decided that the best way to prepare players is to keep all details of their performance secret, which actually sets off alarm bells in my head.

If it were a normal HS, it would be covered by local news (like the stat pages in STLToday - not perfect, but they try to record what every regional HS is doing). Social media is going to vary by program no matter what kind of school it is. But for prep/charter schools, lack of information is often the point. I don't know where Middlebrooks falls on the spectrum. They may be doing right by the kids or they may be unscrupulous actors squeezing money out of the system. There are plenty of examples of each.

27 minutes ago, AGB91 said:

I would doubt that we ever see him in a Billiken uniform.

10 minutes ago, slu72 said:

50-50

It will be no fault of his own if he doesn't end up here. I actually think he's a pretty nice looking prospect. It just depends on what the next coach wants to do.

1 minute ago, Pistol said:

It will be no fault of his own if he doesn't end up here. I actually think he's a pretty nice looking prospect. It just depends on what the next coach wants to do.

I’m hoping the next coach enters the portal sweepstakes with a bucketful of cash and buys us a new roster of Sophs and juniors. Also, hope he drags a couple of his stars with him to SLU. We ain’t gonna win with HS recruits. Those days are over unless you’re Duke. 

39 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

Thanks @Pistol

It would be really cool if we signed a three star recruit who looked 72 and had a bushy white moustache.  Guy would be the most popular player ever in St. Louis.