2024 SLU Men's Basketball Head Coaching Search

1 minute ago, billikenfan05 said:

The only person pumping up Ahearns name is Ahearns agent.

He’s not leaving the NBA for SLU or Mo State. Not sure how this rumor got started but I doubt any credible agent would advise their client who is a current NBA coach, hey you should take the SLU job and go coach in the A10. No way h that guy is interested in SLU job. 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, johnbj14 said:

It is way too late for that. May realistically needed to be gone January 1st in order to have a new person in place to make this hire. 

The only real hope is that May is allowed to walk off into the sunset pretending like the OFCC was his magnum opus and he's leaving SLU in a better place.

johnbj14 likes this

8 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

The only person pumping up Ahearns name is Ahearns agent.

I think he was probably a lot closer to being the coach last spring than most people realize and he has people still pumping up his name.  It isn’t just the right people.  

1 minute ago, slu92 said:

He’s not leaving the NBA for SLU or Mo State. Not sure how this rumor got started but I doubt any credible agent would advise their client who is a current NBA coach, hey you should take the SLU job and go coach in the A10. No way h that guy is interested in SLU job. 

You know exactly where it started. You've been active on this board. This schtick of talking about how SLU can do better, only to tell us we'd never have a shot at some 4th assistant on some NBA coaching staff because you went to the same high school is really fu*cking old.

JMM28 likes this

10 minutes ago, slu92 said:

No credible agent is going to advise his client to turn a job that would pay at least three times as much (MO St.) or at least five times as much (SLU) as he is currently making.

7 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

You know exactly where it started. You've been active on this board. This schtick of talking about how SLU can do better, only to tell us we'd never have a shot at some 4th assistant on some NBA coaching staff because you went to the same high school is really fu*cking old.

It is amazing that just because he isn’t the top choice at SLU or MO St. right now that someone is going to act like Ahearn isn’t interested in either job right now.  He wants both jobs.  He wouldn’t be a bad hire at either program. Hell, some were so convinced Blake was so close to having the SLU job last spring they convinced Blake he actually had it.  If you believe the stories.

6 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Why would he leave NBA for SLU? Answer that one. And yes I think guy has something extra based on spurs plucking him out of high school to coach their G League team. Those jobs aren’t easy to get. I’m sorry I’ll take RC Buford and Pop’s opinions over Chris May in evaluating coaching talent. Do you think the Spurs don’t have options??? Hired him because he went to DeSmet?  I went to high school with him? Uh really? That’s a new one too. And his name was brought up by Frank, who I think is a dope. He lost all credibility after last year defending Ford in my book. But the nonstop bashing a guy who from what I understand has no interest coaching in college and SLU in particular is weird. Like let it go. We get you don’t like him, he must of cut you from DeSmet freshman team, didn’t sign your camp T-shirt, whatever the reason we get it. I like idea of a Tatum or Ahearn being from stl and wanting to build something longterm, wanting to be at slu, like a Mark Few type, that’s all! Wow.

1 minute ago, brianstl said:

It is amazing that just because he isn’t the top choice at SLU or MO St. right now that someone is going to act like Ahearn isn’t interested in either job right now.  He wants both jobs.  He wouldn’t be a bad hire at either program. Hell, some were so convinced Blake was so close to having the SLU job last spring they convinced Blake he actually had it.  If you believe the stories.

Everyone seems to have the inside info. I can confidently say guy has no interest in SLU job or any college job for that matter. This story is about as realistic as Frank C’s hair. 

1 minute ago, slu92 said:

Everyone seems to have the inside info. I can confidently say guy has no interest in SLU job or any college job for that matter. This story is about as realistic as Frank C’s hair. 

Okay, Dan.

My overall feeling is slu leadership doesn’t get what it really takes to be great. Regardless of who they hire as next coach, Keeping May in my opinion shows me they’ve learned nothing at all and aren’t capable of changing. I’d love a guy like a Wade or Mack or Schertz but in 2/3 years they win, then they bolt and this all starts over again. Maybe that’s why thinking a local guy IF they are successful would want to stay and build something special? Whether that’s Tatum, Ahearn or Grawer I have no idea, I just don’t trust slu leadership is my overall feeling. Nobody can explain why the place hasn’t fulfilled its potential over last 40/50 years. This season is exhausting and I’m not trying to be a jerk or be cute, I seriously don’t know the answer. 

7 minutes ago, slu92 said:

Why would he leave NBA for SLU? Answer that one. And yes I think guy has something extra based on spurs plucking him out of high school to coach their G League team. Those jobs aren’t easy to get. I’m sorry I’ll take RC Buford and Pop’s opinions over Chris May in evaluating coaching talent. Do you think the Spurs don’t have options??? Hired him because he went to DeSmet?  I went to high school with him? Uh really? That’s a new one too. And his name was brought up by Frank, who I think is a dope. He lost all credibility after last year defending Ford in my book. But the nonstop bashing a guy who from what I understand has no interest coaching in college and SLU in particular is weird. Like let it go. We get you don’t like him, he must of cut you from DeSmet freshman team, didn’t sign your camp T-shirt, whatever the reason we get it. I like idea of a Tatum or Ahearn being from stl and wanting to build something longterm, wanting to be at slu, like a Mark Few type, that’s all! Wow.

More money, higher profile job, more autonomy, and located in hometown. There are probably more but those are the easy ones.

His agent has major clout in the coaching carousel every year. It's possible he's pushing Blake's name out there to gain leverage for the Missouri State job. But he has enough supporters within SLU's donor base that he could be a candidate that fans need to take seriously. And by the way, those fans are all entitled to their own opinions on Ahearn as a candidate, and all the opinions are entirely valid because we truly don't know how good he'd be at this job.

TaLBErt likes this

2 hours ago, thetorch said:

Why have the candidates for the SLU job that the local media has mentioned (fed by SLU officials or boosters) all been awful?  Crean, Weber and now Ahearn?  

To be fair, the local media has also mentioned other names, like DeVries and Schertz. They're not only putting those names out there.

slu92 likes this

1 minute ago, Pistol said:

More money, higher profile job, more autonomy, and located in hometown. There are probably more but those are the easy ones.

His agent has major clout in the coaching carousel every year. It's possible he's pushing Blake's name out there to gain leverage for the Missouri State job. But he has enough supporters within SLU's donor base that he could be a candidate that fans need to take seriously. And by the way, those fans are all entitled to their own opinions on Ahearn as a candidate, and all the opinions are entirely valid because we truly don't know how good he'd be at this job.

That makes sense the way you explained it. Thanks and I’m done talking about the guy! lol 

8 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Agents routinely float rumors to drive up interest for their client, sometimes for that opening, sometimes for another opening, sometimes to get paid better where they are at.  I’m sure all rumors are valid, but no rumor means anything until a more substantial conversation takes place.  And until a job opening is actually announced, a lot of people will not want to say something publicly (doesn’t mean they aren’t talking very seriously privately). It’s all smoke at this point.

3 hours ago, slu92 said:

2 hours ago, slu92 said:

This is objectively false. Ahearn is very interested in the SLU job. 

VeniceMenace likes this

20 minutes ago, Bilzz said:

This is objectively false. Ahearn is very interested in the SLU job. 

God hope not. Or cool if he is, hope the people who matter aren’t. 

There are a lot of names floated and a lot of leaks of interest. Why do I get the impression that our coach will be more like a Rebecca Tillet hire that is unexciting and comes out of nowhere. Now Tillet had a great year last year so before anyone freaks out on my comment, please understand I realize that but she was also unexciting at the time.

My worry on Ahearn is that he'll be hired for the wrong reasons and have the wrong expectations. If they hire him because they think he'll focus a lot on St Louis recruits and he'll have a team of predominantly local guys then he's going to be set up to fail. You won't win with a team like that and the boosters who hired you will be mad if you win with other guys. 

If you hire him because you think he can develop players with his NBA experience and he can run a modern offensive system, you still may not win but at least you're thinking progressively 

i couldnt care less about NBA experience.   i hate to watch the NBA.   i dont even consider it basketball.   it is a show.   as the long time cliche goes, "the nba is about the name on the back of the jersey, but college is about the name on the front".  

the only attribute about ahearn that intrigues me is the fact he was/is one hell of a shooter.   i would love to have him on the staff to teach shooting.  he would even have great worth to lure the portal beings to come and learn to shoot.  but beyond that at this point in his career, that is where his worth ends imo.   he needs to go run a high school, or juco or a small college team and show the world he can actually run a program.  at that point i would be glad to pay him college head coaching money.  but for now, he's a shooting coach imo.  nothing more.  

13 hours ago, thetorch said:

Why have the candidates for the SLU job that the local media has mentioned (fed by SLU officials or boosters) all been awful?  Crean, Weber and now Ahearn?  

Never Crean. I have a friend who’s an IU fan. He was hated there and failed at UGA. What would make anyone think he can save SLU? Total retread. Weber’s too old. Ahern total unknown. What we need is NIL $$’s and a guy who has done something. I’d look at guys like the UVM coach. 

billiken_roy likes this

3 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I have a friend who’s an IU fan. He was hated there

In fairness to Crean, he won 2 Big Ten championships there and went to 3 S16s. He's done better there than anyone not named Robert Knight. 

He still wouldn't be a good fit for what SLU needs now. 

2 hours ago, slufan13 said:

There are a lot of names floated and a lot of leaks of interest. Why do I get the impression that our coach will be more like a Rebecca Tillet hire that is unexciting and comes out of nowhere. Now Tillet had a great year last year so before anyone freaks out on my comment, please understand I realize that but she was also unexciting at the time.

I’ll bet Dusty May at FAU was looked at as an uninspired hire. That’s finding a gem in the rough. Or in other words, a crapshoot. If, big if, we actually fire Ford, we have to get this right. There’s no good reason this program should be languishing at the bottom of the A10. 

billiken_roy likes this