GDT: SLU v. Loyola Chicago

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The team’s mantra when the season stared was “relentless” and they are out of shape and rusty halfway through the season?!?  What the hell is going on?  This has got to be a Kim Gardner situation, right?  Like CTF is secretly taking nursing classes instead of showing up for practices??

13 minutes ago, Fraz said:

I’ve watched 2 games this year.  Lifelong fan.  Over the past 10ish years I rarely missed a possession.

My engagement as a fan is at an all time low.  I almost feel guilty.  Im just so checked out on TF

We all are.  it’s really hard to hang in there and not just give up entirely. These days,  It’s just me shouting by myself into abyss on the GDT

7 minutes ago, SLU_Nick said:

We all are.  it’s really hard to hang in there and not just give up entirely. These days,  It’s just me shouting by myself into abyss on the GDT

Unfortunately, we aren’t all. There’s a few. Ironically they have not posted in a while .

30 minutes ago, SLU_Nick said:

Get angry. Get mad. We're mad as hell and we're not gonna put up with CTF anymore!

Bad defense and bad free throw shooting. Not gonna win many of those games.

Ford’s teams have zero offensive identity: Jimerson runs around like a madman trying to get open, Globetrotter weave (to run some clock), And1 Mixtape dribbling exhibition by the point guard, forced shot.

Screens are ineffective/lazy (or result in an offensive foul). All of OUR 3-pointers are contested, but we allow so many open 3s to our opponents.  I don’t understand what anyone sees in Ford’s leadership.

Ford needs to be gone and the players looked rusty and out of shape… but my main question is why don’t we run more plays for TJ to drive the lane from the point. It only happens when we are down 8 with thirty seconds on the clock. He makes it look effortless. I know defenses are laying off a bit to avoid fouling in these instances but it does seem he can hop his way to points or fouls fairly easily. Jimmerson drives solely to get fouled and often misses the layup. He makes the free throws typically but if we had TJ driving that often.. it would result in more and 1’s plus it would draw defenders off of Gibson in the perimeter. Am I over-complicating this!!!!?!?!

9 hours ago, SLU_Nick said:

I think the new mood I've reached is like, unwilling to even care about opposing fans trashtalking.

The fact that St. Bonaventure, a program that’s located in damn near Siberia with an endowment and resources that are much much less than SLU’s, is 10-3 and has had the same amount of success in the past decade should embarrass every single person in charge in Midtown.

2 hours ago, thatskablamo said:

Probably due to Drew’s uncle Teddy being on the officiating crew. I knew that was going to be an issue for us right from the jump. 

Other than the insane out of bounds call by "TV Ted" we got very favorable foul calling in that game. They whiffed on one or two Loyola fouls, I need two hands to count all the reach ins we committed without repercussion.

Please don't start blaming stripes for this. What a joke. Bad teams that made bad mistakes blame refs. Even CTF didn't blame the refs for this debacle.

37 minutes ago, rhagolf said:

Under 50% from the free-throw line. That is ridiculous, for a Division I men's basketball team. But, maybe, they're really not Division I?

That's been one of the billikens few strengths recently. Absolutely wild. Loyola wasn't good from the line either.

1 minute ago, HoosierPal said:

Here we go. Everyone's injured! America's injury team. We should get some NIL and Endorsement deals with some injury law firms.

9 minutes ago, Soderball said:

Other than the insane out of bounds call by "TV Ted" we got very favorable foul calling in that game. They whiffed on one or two Loyola fouls, I need two hands to count all the reach ins we committed without repercussion.

Please don't start blaming stripes for this. What a joke. Bad teams that made bad mistakes blame refs. Even CTF didn't blame the refs for this debacle.

It’s amazing his initials are TV, too. Just can’t make that up. I was speaking in jest, but you are right, Soderball. Only one Valentine hurt us yesterday. I assumed it would be Teddy going in. I was wrong about that. My apologies, sir. Good post. 

2 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

Sad thing was this was the winnable game this week. Next up, SLU (NET - 231) goes on the road vs George Mason (NET - 66).  Billikens better show up ready to play or it could turn FUGLY. 

I'm assuming it'll be FUBAR more than anything

6 minutes ago, thatskablamo said:

It’s amazing his initials are TV, too. Just can’t make that up. I was speaking in jest, but you are right, Soderball. Only one Valentine hurt us yesterday. I assumed it would be Teddy going in. I was wrong about that. My apologies, sir. Good post. 

The only reason we do this is that at most positions we are too small to play very effective defense. Brad just doesn't have the stamina to keep up the defensive effort(that's a yet, of course, sure) Bruce looked more effective on the defensive end IMO. Our best defensive player by a wide margin is Hargrove who actually has the hops, stamina, athleticism to be able to land a few blocks. He had at least one very impressive block.

Ford has told them that we need to generate TOs, but he's not really teaching them how to generate TOs

If you watch the replay you'll see Loyola cutting off our passing lanes and putting players in positions to get the ball. SLU doesn't do that. We used to when JG and French were on the floor, it's been getting progressively worse every year.

Also "TV Ted" and "Sheriff" Jerry Pollard are some of the zaniest officials you'll see in any sport. You can expect them to pull some kind of wacky call for attention at some point. I generally like how Pollard calls games, but I've seen both of them whistle some doozies to get a crowd reaction.

20 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I'm not remembering Thames participating in the warmups.

He was out there.  Doing windmill dunks.  I’d say his ankle looked healthy, but I’m not a doctor

19 minutes ago, laker119 said:

He was out there.  Doing windmill dunks.  I’d say his ankle looked healthy, but I’m not a doctor

Do you remember who wasn't out there?  We got there maybe 20 min before game and I don't remember Thames out there in the 'pre' warmups....shoot around without their game jerseys on.  I had a brief exchange with AGB91 and he mentioned not seeing Thames early on also.

Perhaps the mystery player was getting an IV in the initial warmups?  The IV would not have been for an ankle. 

48 minutes ago, Soderball said:

The only reason we do this is that at most positions we are too small to play very effective defense. Brad just doesn't have the stamina to keep up the defensive effort(that's a yet, of course, sure) Bruce looked more effective on the defensive end IMO. Our best defensive player by a wide margin is Hargrove who actually has the hops, stamina, athleticism to be able to land a few blocks. He had at least one very impressive block.

Ford has told them that we need to generate TOs, but he's not really teaching them how to generate TOs

If you watch the replay you'll see Loyola cutting off our passing lanes and putting players in positions to get the ball. SLU doesn't do that. We used to when JG and French were on the floor, it's been getting progressively worse every year.

Also "TV Ted" and "Sheriff" Jerry Pollard are some of the zaniest officials you'll see in any sport. You can expect them to pull some kind of wacky call for attention at some point. I generally like how Pollard calls games, but I've seen both of them whistle some doozies to get a crowd reaction.

ill never forget (or forgive) pollard at the coca cola shoot out kevin lisch's senior year at althoff calling 4 fouls in about 3 minutes of floor time for lisch.   the whole arena was furious as most came to watch the home town boy. 

ted had more than one bad call last night.   he didnt lose the game for the billikens, but i swear ted wants the fans to hate him.   after that out of bounds call i screamed right after, "dont make us start throwing chairs Ted".   got a laugh from those around me.