SLU Baseball 2024

OkieBilliken

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Crazy thing about this offense - they have four different players with four home runs, and one with three.  They can hurt you up and down the lineup. Their on base percentage is through the roof.  They pounded LMU pitching and got two pretty good starts from their staff.   We have certainly had more experienced overall pitching staffs but I really like the upside of this bullpen and our #1-2 starters.  They have a midweek vs Mo State before heading to New Orleans next weekend.  

Baseball Imperialism updated... we've added some nice real estate.  :)

Some rather choice beach property with San Diego County (yes we'll take the land that looks like the surface of the moon out towards Yuma also I guess), and we've added some nice wine terroirs in Oregon... some Pinot Noir sounds great thanks.  Appreciate you LMU... you and your chirpy players and blowhard coach!  Karma took care of you... hope the flight home is a bumpy one.

CDN media

OkieBilliken likes this

On 3/6/2024 at 9:02 AM, OkieBilliken said:

Loyola Marymount, who is coming in this weekend, is 7-5 but they have played a much tougher schedule than we have and have earned wins over USC and Michigan.  They are way better than their record.  

What's crazy is after our win yesterday, SLU has an RPI of 58.  LMU is at 194.   I don't ever recall our RPI being that high.  We are ahead of Tennessee  (12-1) so I'm not so sure this a really accurate ranking, but it is still cool to be up that high.  

I think it will be a big accomplishment if we can win this series.

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/baseball/d1/rpi

Michigan isn’t the same as when Erik Bakich (Clemson) was their coach. USC hasn’t made the NCAA Tourney in 8 years and they haven’t been all that good since about 5 coaches ago. Another good cold weather coach, Rob Vaughn at Maryland left for Alabama. Both have had early success.

Even UCLA has had their challenges despite some strong recruiting in recent years. And many of the big teams like them do’t have great facilities out West. 

Orgeon State, UC Irvine, UCSB, have been good out West more years than not recently. Elsewhere, DBU, Coastal, ECU, Campbell.

LMU was pretty good last year. Hopefully they can find some wins this year. 

Went to game yesterday. Team looked great, beautiful day…..that field is god awful and a total embarrassment to the program and those players/coaches. 14-1 team plays on a field not as nice as a local high school. I walk by field all the time going to mbb games, actually being there and experiencing it on a game day….its even worse. Chris May is truly a moron for not being able to do anything for that program for over 15 years as AD. How hard is it to raise money for a division one baseball program, a successful program, in St. Louis? Program deserves so much more support from SLU leadership. Including Fred! 

DirtyRican and OkieBilliken like this

16 minutes ago, Brighton said:

SLU received 5 votes and that three game set against the other slu in Louisiana is huge and will be a litmus test on how good they really are.

https://sportsdata.usatoday.com/baseball/cbb/coaches-poll/2024-2025/2024-03-11

If we win, I say that Southeastern Louisiana University has to go by SELU, and leave SLU to us

OkieBilliken likes this

Great game today for those of us lucky enough to know SLU baseball actually played at home against Mo State….who beat Southern Miss and Oral Robert’s this year already….not enough seats for the crowd. Mo State parents/fans saying same old stuff “why doesn’t slu have a stadium, how do they get kids to come here, this is terrible, etc,etc.” I went with a buddy who has a son playing on Mo state, he even said you have this awesome campus, arena and this is your baseball field, feels bad for players and coaches. He was dead serious.

No espn+ streaming, no social media, no highlights posted, it’s just another reason why slu can’t afford to keep Chris May around any longer. If his idea of a stadium upgrade is putting down sod….what more do you need to know or say. Has had plenty of time to raise money, put a plan together for baseball and softball. Has done nothing. But he did hand out one of the dumbest contracts ever to Ford, hired two coaches and watched them tank tentpole program for entire department. It’s not a joke. Can you imagine if just half of the money SLU is going to pay Travis Ford to leave a job he has been terrible at, went towards building a real baseball D1 facility? It’s gross negligence in broad daylight! If slu hasn’t learned their lesson, and fire this wiener, they never will learn, place is doomed. Today was a glimpse of what entire place could/should be if we just had the right visionary AD and not some stuffed suit, insecure, moron running department with the judgement of the town yolkle and the charisma of lawn clippings from that freshly laid sod. Guy has to have pictures of Fred, Fran all BoT members and Jesuits as blackmail. 

This weekend is going to be a challenge.  We play Southeastern Louisiana for a three game series and play Tulane on Monday.  SeLa is really good.  They have a 12-6 record and have beaten Fullerton, East Carolina and last night Tulane.  They were up on #2 LSU by 2 in the 9th, gave up 3 runs and lost a heartbreaker 4-3.    

SeLa is in Hammond, about an hour north of New Orleans.   We are going to head there after work on Friday.  A long weekend in The Big Easy never hurt anyone.  

Southeastern and Tulane will be the 12th and 13th parks I have seen the Bills play.   Yeah Im sicko,  I track this stuff.  

Billiken Sports Complex St. Louis, MO  
TR Hughes Ballpark St. Charles, MO
JL Johnson Stadium Tulsa, OK  
Lake Point Sports Complex Emerson, GA  
Melching Field DeLand, FL  
Hoover Metropolitan Stadium Hoover, AL  
Lexington County Stadium Lexington, SC  
Centennial Park Port Charlotte, FL
Minnesota Twins Spring Training Complex Fort Myers. FL
Hammond Stadium Fort Myers. FL
USA Stadium Millington, TN

1 minute ago, OkieBilliken said:

This weekend is going to be a challenge.  We play Southeastern Louisiana for a three game series and play Tulane on Monday.  SeLa is really good.  They have a 12-6 record and have beaten Fullerton, East Carolina and last night Tulane.  They were up on #2 LSU by 2 in the 9th, gave up 3 runs and lost a heartbreaker 4-3.    

SeLa is in Hammond, about an hour north of New Orleans.   We are going to head there after work on Friday.  A long weekend in The Big Easy never hurt anyone.  

Southeastern and Tulane will be the 12th and 13th parks I have seen the Bills play.   Yeah Im sicko,  I track this stuff.  

I’m in NOLA now, but unfortunately back to Dallas tomorrow after meetings in New Iberia. Enjoy the Crescent City and Hammond. Good people down here. Make sure to get to Pascale’s Manale down on Napoleon for some oysters. Cherry Coffee just north of Tchopitoulas on the corner of Laurel and Upperline. Bring some cash for the trolley and Cafe du Mondé. Cash only! Laissez les bons temps rouler Bills!

OkieBilliken likes this

36 minutes ago, OkieBilliken said:

Pulling for SLU to beat SLU this weekend. You do a better job of selling this baseball team than SLU social media. Think I'm going to check out a game this season. I know it really doesn't matter who they're playing but is Cinci any good at ball? Thinking about checking out that series. 

Also, your location in Jacksonville has been ideal for this year's schedule. 60% of those series are within a 5.5 hour drive!

OkieBilliken likes this

27 minutes ago, thatskablamo said:

I’m in NOLA now, but unfortunately back to Dallas tomorrow after meetings in New Iberia. Enjoy the Crescent City and Hammond. Good people down here. Make sure to get to Pascale’s Manale down on Napoleon for some oysters. Cherry Coffee just north of Tchopitoulas on the corner of Laurel and Upperline. Bring some cash for the trolley and Cafe du Mondé. Cash only! Laissez les bons temps rouler Bills!

Thanks!  I will check those out.  Cafe du Monde already on the list.  We are staying in the Quarter so it should be a blast.   Haven’t been there in several years pre-Katrina.   I sat right next to Justin Love’s dad with his army helmet on in Fogelman Arena at Tulane.  Crazy game that was.  

thatskablamo likes this

9 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Pulling for SLU to beat SLU this weekend. You do a better job of selling this baseball team than SLU social media. Think I'm going to check out a game this season. I know it really doesn't matter who they're playing but is Cinci any good at ball? Thinking about checking out that series. 

Also, your location is in Jacksonville has been ideal for this year's schedule. 60% of those series are within a 5.5 hour drive!

Yeah, thankfully they usually have the budget to travel south at the start of the season.   Going to try to get to one road A10 series this year.  

Cincinnati is usually decent, not spectacular.   When we were both in CUSA, they came to town with Kevin Youkilis, who was hitting about .400 with massive power.  We won one of those games if I remember correctly and he was 0-5. He ended up a 1st round pick and spent several years with the Red Sox.   

thatskablamo likes this

1 hour ago, OkieBilliken said:

Thanks!  I will check those out.  Cafe du Monde already on the list.  We are staying in the Quarter so it should be a blast.   Haven’t been there in several years pre-Katrina.   I sat right next to Justin Love’s dad with his army helmet on in Fogelman Arena at Tulane.  Crazy game that was.  

Enjoy - the bar at the Royal Sonesta has live jazz every night. Keep an eye out for a little funky group called the “Brass-a-holics.” Saw them here back in January and they were incredible. Local NOLA outfit. You will also be in town for the St Pat’s parade down in the Irish Channel / Magazine Street. Damn, I envy you!!

OkieBilliken likes this

5 minutes ago, thatskablamo said:

Enjoy - the bar at the Royal Sonesta has live jazz every night. Keep an eye out for a little funky group called the “Brass-a-holics.” Saw them here back in January and they were incredible. Local NOLA outfit. You will also be in town for the St Pat’s parade down in the Irish Channel / Magazine Street. Damn, I envy you!!

I saw that about the St. Pats parade.   Unfortunately the BIlls are playing at 2pm on Saturday in Hammond.   Will definitely partake in some post-parade festivities.   

thatskablamo likes this

8 minutes ago, OkieBilliken said:

I saw that about the St. Pats parade.   Unfortunately the BIlls are playing at 2pm on Saturday in Hammond.   Will definitely partake in some post-parade festivities.   

Would've been sweet if the Bills games lined up with NOLA Jazz Fest. Such a cool experience. The music, the food, and the people are amazing. Music - New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival - New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival (nojazzfest.com)

OkieBilliken likes this

Schedule change:  Due to rain in the forecast SLU will not play on Friday, but will play a doubleheader on Saturday (11am start).   The weather for Sunday looks a bit sketchy too.  Doesn't this image look kind of nauseating?  

Lakin Polk delivers a pitch against Tulane.

On 2/2/2024 at 12:02 PM, slu92 said:

IMG_9722.thumb.jpeg.a47281efb7ae11356f19ab2a3b04257b.jpeg

I thought this was a post on the progress of SLU’s, NCAA Division 1 baseball field and realized it’s DeSmet Jesuit High School my bad. Plus it’s all turf, SLU still doesn’t have sod in outfield which is throwing money away. Weird how it’s hard to lay sod in middle of winter in St. Louis? Chris May is the absolute best, a nonstop gift of stupidity and comedy that keeps on giving….he can’t do what DeSmet can do, yet let’s allow him to hire a 3rd mbb coach and come up with a plan for NIL. Jesus help this program. It’s not funny anymore.

hope the knew under underclassmen don't trash it with skateboards