SLU Baseball 2024

OkieBilliken

7 minutes ago, CenHudDude said:

Did Dr. Pestello set up this game?  Maybe we should blame him for the loss.

How can you expect a team to win playing in a stadium like that? Anyway, without a doubt it’s Travis Ford’s fault.

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bills swamp LeMoyne 19-5. How did they lose to those chumps on Friday?

3 hours ago, CenHudDude said:

Was Dr. Pestello one of the 82?

Didn't see him there but May was for awhile.  

There were probably more than 82 ppl there... not a whole lot of open space in the main stands.  Aside from the wind it was beautiful again today... lots of people out walking around the sports complexes.  

The little hut and side table where the scoreboard operator and announcer sit are sad jokes for a D1 program expected to compete for an NCAA tournament bid.  The volunteer students who man the pathetic tools they're given to help run the games are definitely appreciated though.  

Soderball and DirtyRican like this

On 3/3/2024 at 10:24 PM, BillTheCat said:

There were probably more than 82 ppl there... not a whole lot of open space in the main stands.  Aside from the wind it was beautiful again today... lots of people out walking around the sports complexes.  

The little hut and side table where the scoreboard operator and announcer sit are sad jokes for a D1 program expected to compete for an NCAA tournament bid.  The volunteer students who man the pathetic tools they're given to help run the games are definitely appreciated though.  

Fred probably was bird watching at Forest Park while Fran was doing a cross fit class. 

NextYearBill likes this

Loyola Marymount, who is coming in this weekend, is 7-5 but they have played a much tougher schedule than we have and have earned wins over USC and Michigan.  They are way better than their record.  

What's crazy is after our win yesterday, SLU has an RPI of 58.  LMU is at 194.   I don't ever recall our RPI being that high.  We are ahead of Tennessee  (12-1) so I'm not so sure this a really accurate ranking, but it is still cool to be up that high.  

I think it will be a big accomplishment if we can win this series.

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/baseball/d1/rpi

BillTheCat likes this

20 minutes ago, OkieBilliken said:

Loyola Marymount, who is coming in this weekend, is 7-5 but they have played a much tougher schedule than we have and have earned wins over USC and Michigan.  They are way better than their record.  

What's crazy is after our win yesterday, SLU has an RPI of 58.  LMU is at 194.   I don't ever recall our RPI being that high.  We are ahead of Tennessee  (12-1) so I'm not so sure this a really accurate ranking, but it is still cool to be up that high.  

I think it will be a big accomplishment if we can win this series.

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/baseball/d1/rpi

Rice baseball really fell apart after Wayne Graham left.  164th.  

Might help if we had an actual covered grandstand, like SIUE has.

Giving an actual press area/scorers table would be great, too.

SLU has the funds. This is a leadership problem.

The volunteer students who man the pathetic tools they're given to help run the games are definitely appreciated though.

I was one of those my freshman year back in 2015. I remember we had more than 10 runs scored in an inning and everyone had to scramble to figure out how to put a two-digit number into the ancient scoreboard tech.

DirtyRican and BillTheCat like this

1 minute ago, BillTheCat said:

Pathetic attempt at band wagoning.  

Baseball still paying for meals in the Champions Center.  POS.

Can you get Deathtöngue back together to play the national anthem before a ballgame this year?

19 minutes ago, BillTheCat said:

That’s a joke that they don’t let teams that actually have won a conference championship, eat at the “Championship Center” without charging them.  

4 minutes ago, Slufan10 said:

If we had a good enough season to host a regional, would it be played at the gateway grizzlies stadium or car shield field?

This is a question we shouldn’t have to answer. Definitely Busch Stadium. (Kidding) 

16 minutes ago, Slufan10 said:

If we had a good enough season to host a regional, would it be played at the gateway grizzlies stadium or car shield field?

One or the other. Could you just lease Stars Park Baseball field from Harris-Stowe for that? It does have the press box..

1 hour ago, BillTheCat said:

-I thought teams could eat during their season?

-I don't know if I would have felt like this as a 19 year-old but for me now it would be very weird going through the food line and I don't pay and my friend who plays volleyball has to pay, very awkward

Imagine if SLU baseball actually had a decent covered grandstand for spectators. Imagine if you could buy season tix in that grandstand. No dreamers at the helm at SLU apparently.

I get it.  We have terrible facilities.  May should be ashamed for his non-support and I hope he gets fired.  But we did have an average of about 85 people attend our last home series, when we were undefeated and actually getting Top 25 votes.   If we had better seating, actual concessions, a real stadium, would we really get more fans to show up?  I hope so but I’m not convinced.    We could just keep kicking this dead horse or actually support the team.   If we had 500 people show up and started bitching because there was nowhere to sit that would be a pretty powerful statement.       We have a massive series against Loyola Marymount this weekend.   GO SEE THEM PLAY!   

The following weekend they play in New Orleans.  I will be attending.   It will be SLU vs. SLU.  Then they play Tulane Monday night.    Bourbon Street here we come!

48 minutes ago, OkieBilliken said:

If we had better seating, actual concessions, a real stadium, would we really get more fans to show up?  

Yes they would.  You have to be a true baseball fan to sit through a game at the current facility if you're not family.  

The casual fan who might be a SLU baseball fan is unlikely to see it as a destination worth a few hours.  

The facility helps or hurts everything.  Recruiting, Practice, Fan Attendance, Hosting of Tournaments... it literally is 'build it and they would come', with 'they' being more players and more fans.  

The winning coach is already there, and a facility to be proud of instead of embarrassed would help keep him.