SIU over The Bills by 4

The Wiz

General Outlook......So USU is  projecting  at 3rd in the MWC and a Big Dance participant...last 4 in ...56% chance to Dance...Why is this under general outlook? USU was hanging on at the end of the game and escaped with a victory...that game was winnable (see post game USU wrap up).   It shows that we can play with top teams AND have a chance to win as long as we make some shots. ...particularly 2s.  The other point here in discussing USU as it relates to the general outlook is that after the game USU is now an A-  team ...They moved up because they beat us by 5.   The take away  is that USU is better right now than any team in the A10.  The fact that we played toe to toe with them right down to the finish bodes well for us in conference play.

Game Preview....Both The Bills and SIU are B- teams.  The Bills are better on offense and SIU is better on D.  ...It's pretty close on the stats ...the spread  is pretty much home field advantage.  Xavier Johnson is Mr. Saluki.  I wouldn't say he is the whole team...but he just about  is.   Game should be close....if we make shots (especially 2s) , we win this game.

Report Card.... 

..Report card  after the last game is negative...1 up ...3 down

Let's see what things look like....

...................SLU......................SIU........................SLU.............................SIU

.................................OFF..........................................................DEF.............

PPG...............C+.......................C.............................C-..................................B

FG%...............D+........................C............................D+................................C-

3P%...............A-.........................B.............................B+................................A-

FT%...............B...........................C+..................................................................

Reb...............D-..........................D+.............................F.................................B+

OFF Rebs  = total rebs...DEF Rebs = opp reb

UP...............Off....FT%..........Def.....none

Down.........Off......PPG...Reb.......Def....PPG...FG%...3P%

Top 100 In The Nation

SLU

FT%...Jimerson...72nd...92.7%

SIU

PPG...Johnson...16th

Asst...   "      "........82nd

FT%......."     " ......86th...92.2%

Injury /Illness report and misc

The Bills....

Parker ....Nov 17....Foot...fractured  foot...out indefinitely

SIU...

Sharp....G...Foot..Nov 6....out till mid Dec

Hornecker...C....Ankle...Nov 6...out indefinitely

Keys to the Game......Stop Johnson and don't foul him...see top 100...The Bills  need to make some 2s....play 40 min...play like we did against USU in the final 4 min...in fact if we put up the same game slash we did against USU( a much better team on off & def than SIU) we win.

WWN2D2W...Target slash...47/51/40/75....Hold Johnson to 15 pts...Beat them on TOs and steals to make up for any rebound deficit.  Rebounding should be closer this game.....Hold them to 70 pts.

Bottom line....If we play a full 40 min and don't dog it , we can send the Salukis back to the kennel.

CenHudDude likes this

3 hours ago, Cowboy II said:

-3 seasons in a row we've lost our first road game but the opponents were likely better than SIU, those being Auburn, Memphis and MInnesota

-how does the team react to being challenged that they are not Jordan Goodwin?

This is actually going to be an interesting opportunity to see how this team handles being on the road against a team favored to beat them.  I’m looking for them to show me what they can do.

I just don't see us losing to SIUC. There's a team that gets some hype every year and just doesn't come through. I know it's a weird place to play but I'll take my chances on a Saturday afternoon game in December against a middle of the pack MVC team even on the road. There is enough experience on this team that being on the road shouldn't be that big of a detriment. 

TomM and TheChosenOne like this

4 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

I just don't see us losing to SIUC. There's a team that gets some hype every year and just doesn't come through. I know it's a weird place to play but I'll take my chances on a Saturday afternoon game in December against a middle of the pack MVC team even on the road. There is enough experience on this team that being on the road shouldn't be that big of a detriment. 

their bigs are nothing special, so thats good

On 11/30/2023 at 12:42 PM, slufan13 said:

Same. They also appear to be down one starter with a foot injury, so truly a game you have to win.

There are many paths to victory in this game.  The computer sees these 2 teams as even...the difference being home field advantage. The Bills need to focus on one path  and "slash" their way to  a win.

That’s right you don’t see us losing to SIUC, you see us losing to METHDALE!

Just a quick last minor adjustment... SIU by 3

The updated program is more sensitive than the older version....enough where it can still alter the spread even if neither team has played since the original forecast. It still shows SIU winning (the difference is still home field advantage) BUT by revising the spread the computer has for the first time  cut into the home field advantage.  The significance of this change  is...while the computer thinks the 2 teams are evenly matched  on a neutral court the Bills would have a slight edge ...Bills by 1.... ie The Bills are the better team by a hair.

The other take away from the data is there is a difference between the USU game and the SIU game.....The USU game showed wild swings in the game  which it decided made the game even but very volatile.  This game should be more even in a traditional sense...less volatile closer to even throughout the game....a number of lead changes....a more enjoyable overall game experience than the USU game. 

Bottom line...X  marks the spot...stop X = W...This game is winnable.

25 minutes ago, Soderball said:

Your computer sux bro

You may be onto something.  I had SIU by 4, Kenpom had 5 and Vegas had 6.5 not to mention the Weather computer had no rain for today (as I dry off).   Yes, I think you are correct , computers suck.   Btw, what ever you are typing on...you may want to consider getting rid of it because all computers tend to work the same way....and they are all connected and they all talk to one another.   When word gets out about what you have written they won't like it and what happens next won't be pretty.

Computers bad , basketball good (sometimes)

Warning...  Leave this post immediately if you have a weak basketball heart .  The following will be ugly...

Blowout definition...A lopsided score where your opponent plays great and you play terrible.

Anatomy of a Blowout...

Most of the my original post was about stopping Xavier Johnson...Not only did we not stop him at 15pts but he more than  doubled it (31pts) . He shot 75%....FROM 3  (6-8)...75% from the arc is tough when you are by yourself in the gym practicing.  But it wasn't just about X....Slash time...SIU...66/ 62/ 64...the Golden slash...Majerus use to talk about anytime a slash reached 180 (player or team) it was golden....and then there was the stinky slash...Bills... 43/22/ 58....not good.  But it wasn't just about shooting...We got crushed on TOBS....We gave up 2 games worth of TOs...3 games worth of Blocks ... and 2 games worth of Steals AND in each category SIU did nearly 100% better than us....again not good.

There were a few good things that happened on the Bills side but when you lose by nearly 40 to a team that just lost by nearly 30 to  Ind St...the word good shouldn't come up.

Every team has an off night but this was a complete break down...if only the computer could shoot the ball.

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

You may be onto something.  I had SIU by 4, Kenpom had 5 and Vegas had 6.5 not to mention the Weather computer had no rain for today (as I dry off).   Yes, I think you are correct , computers suck.   Btw, what ever you are typing on...you may want to consider getting rid of it because all computers tend to work the same way....and they are all connected and they all talk to one another.   When word gets out about what you have written they won't like it and what happens next won't be pretty.

Computers bad , basketball good (sometimes)

You mean Skynet might be after @Soderball? 🫣 DUDE! RUN!!!