Bruce Zhang

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this like when Rick said John Manning was our best pro prospect?

but in all seriousness, name a big who has improved significantly under Ford.  French was basically the same player all four years. Okoro showed no improvement/got worse junior to senior year.  Linssen was Linssen… no real improvement.  The rest were a bunch of transfers in/out that had no major impact.  We can all see that Ford is not long for this program, and I imagine most of his roster will go with him.  I’m fine with a major house cleaning. Fortunes can be turned around quickly in this era of college hoops. 

8 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Bruce reminds me of Vouyoukas in his freshman year.  He understands how to play the game but isn't physically capable of what we need him to do yet.

If Bruce can become the junior/senior Ian that my 10 year old self got a picture with, then I'm all for it.

Edited by BrettJollyComedyHour
I was older than I thought when Ian played.

1 hour ago, gobillsgo said:

but in all seriousness, name a big who has improved significantly under Ford.  French was basically the same player all four years. Okoro showed no improvement/got worse junior to senior year.  Linssen was Linssen… no real improvement.  The rest were a bunch of transfers in/out that had no major impact.  We can all see that Ford is not long for this program, and I imagine most of his roster will go with him.  I’m fine with a major house cleaning. Fortunes can be turned around quickly in this era of college hoops. 

Between his soph. and jr. seasons, French developed reverse pivots and spin moves which is why he was able to have his career game against Belmont. Unfortunately, that was the extent of his progress and everyone was prepared for it his Sr. year.

The thing about French that always confused me was he’d catch it on the block, move into the lane for a 2’ jump hook, then pivot back toward the block and miss a much more difficult shot. 

26 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

Between his soph. and jr. seasons, French developed reverse pivots and spin moves which is why he was able to have his career game against Belmont. Unfortunately, that was the extent of his progress and everyone was prepared for it his Sr. year.

The thing about French that always confused me was he’d catch it on the block, move into the lane for a 2’ jump hook, then pivot back toward the block and miss a much more difficult shot. 

Yeah his Jr year stats are slightly better but senior year he reverted right back to his freshman and sophomore year stat line.  Actually remarkable how similar all four years were. 

12 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Id call this prediction.. crazy. 

Ankiel, I love the optimism. But Zhang isn't NBA material.  He's a project to be a decent college C.

Zhang vs Heinrich who ya picking?

2 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

In my observation, the guys most likely to improve are the ones with the higher basketball IQs.  They will add a little to their game each year.  Or they will have a light bulb moment at some point in their career that takes their game to the next level. 

Linssen made his major jump at UNC Wilmington playing 20 min on a bad team.  At Valparaiso, he could barely get on the floor.

6 minutes ago, slu72 said:

He needs minutes. And we need his height. I think anyone who was in MBeach would agree he can be disruptive on the inside. Given how easily we were scored upon in the paint we’ve got nothing to lose by giving him 20-25mpg. 

Im at the point where what we're doing will not work. 

start Cian/MM- Gibby - Thames - THJ - Bruce

THJ plays 15 min at the 4 and 15ish at the 5

Bruce plays 20, Svb plays 5 minutes. 

Hopefully we get to this point by conference. 

39 minutes ago, wgstl said:

And get Courcic some minutes. He can shoot it. 

MB73 likes this

39 minutes ago, wgstl said:

This would be my line up. 

22 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

At this point in their respective careers, I'm going with Bruce.

Heinrich had a double double (10reb 16pts) vs National Championship Team UK in the NCAA Tournament 1998.

I think they look kinda similar except Z has an outside shot so I've heard. 

You take Z to Bull Feathers and I'll take Heinrich to Laclede St. Bar and Grill. Let's see who pulls the most Box.

Just now, willie said:

This would be my line up. 

I think given Meadows back problems, I’d go with Jr at PG. He’s more of a scoring threat as well. The rest looks good. Rotation

Meadows/Medley for Jr

Daigler for TJ/Thames 

Courcic for Gibby

Bussell for Zhang

10 man rotation that pushes the tempo and presses. 

13 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I think given Meadows back problems, I’d go with Jr at PG. He’s more of a scoring threat as well. The rest looks good. Rotation

Meadows/Medley for Jr

Daigler for TJ/Thames 

Courcic for Gibby

Bussell for Zhang

10 man rotation that pushes the tempo and presses. 

In regards to SVB, If I'm Ford, I tell him don't even worry about taking a shot. You're there to rebound, rebound, and rebound. That's all.  I don't want him overthinking and getting more excited than he heeds to be. once he gets minutes under his belt and becomes more comfortable then lift the restrictions.  Id like for him to use his strength and just eat up a few minutes 

SVB doesn't deserve any minutes outside of absolute desperation time. He's simply not a college basketball player. I'm with @AnkielBreakers - Bruce has legit NBA potential. 

I'm also with @gobillsgo - I don't think Ford can develop a big. 

I do think we have a better chance of keeping players on the roster after a Ford departure than most here seem to think. Why wouldn't these guys want to stick around for interim head coach Corey Tate?

22 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Heinrich had a double double (10reb 16pts) vs National Championship Team UK in the NCAA Tournament 1998.

I think they look kinda similar except Z has an outside shot so I've heard. 

You take Z to Bull Feathers and I'll take Heinrich to Laclede St. Bar and Grill. Let's see who pulls the most Box.

I think Bruce has a much higher ceiling than Heinrich.  Heinrich was a better defensive player than Bruce is right now, but Heinrich never had the natural offensive ability that Bruce has displayed.  Bruce is a better athlete than Heinrich.  That isn't meant as a shot at Heinrich.  Heinrich was a serviceable center on two NCAA tournament teams while playing in a much better conference loaded with  high quality big men.  He would have been an even better if he ever got himself into better shape while he was here and if he could have learned how to stay out of foul trouble.  He ended up playing for over a decade in Europe.  

JMM28 likes this

1 minute ago, Bills By 40 said:

SVB doesn't deserve any minutes outside of absolute desperation time. He's simply not a college basketball player. I'm with @AnkielBreakers - Bruce has legit NBA potential. 

I'm also with @gobillsgo - I don't think Ford can develop a big. 

I do think we have a better chance of keeping players on the roster after a Ford departure than most here seem to think. Why wouldn't these guys want to stick around for interim head coach Corey Tate?

I'm not sure SVB deserves them, but I think for us to be the best we can, He's going to need to eat up a few minutes unless Bruce can get to 20 minutes, fast.