GDT: SLU v. Vermont

SluSignGuy

1 minute ago, billiken_roy said:

The same pat Kelsey from College of Charleston that got beat by the same Vermont team almost exactly the same way we just did and this moment is losing to the same Wyoming team we beat yesterday?  Guess that choice is up for review based on most recent performance.

I’ll take 3 ncaa appearances in the same time we’ve had one. So yeah, Pat Kelsey is on the list. 

billikenblue likes this

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, gobillsgo said:

I’d argue that for it to be a true rebuilding year there has to be a sense of hope for the future. At least when we were getting whacked at Dook under Majerus, you could tell Jordair, McCall, Loe, Evans, etc had a bright future, and they were getting valuable experience.  Does anyone honestly feel like we are headed in the correct direction under Ford?

not trying to constantly come after you, Rich, you’re just one of the few Ford Defense Team brave enough to post after that debacle today, which is respectable. 

Yes, Rich is a good MBM, not even saying that for your reasons. 

Just now, gobillsgo said:

I’ll take 3 ncaa appearances in the same time we’ve had one. So yeah, Pat Kelsey is on the list. 

Pat clears that list, especially when you see the *level* of talent on the roster. 

1 minute ago, gobillsgo said:

You said right now.   The in person eye test these last two days doesn't agree.   

Long term look back id agree, but you statement did not reflect that.  Multiple Charleston fans told me yesterday they arent happy with Kelsey right now.   

Old guy likes this

4 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Pat clears that list, especially when you see the *level* of talent on the roster. 

I'd trade inside players with Charleston right now.   Overall due to the 4 and 5's comparison this doesn't qualify for the dozens list imo.   Their overall roster is not less than ours

Parker's absence was a major factor in the loss. They  shot better than we did and outrebounded us. Even worse, recovery from a foot bone fracture, clean or not, depends on the actual bone/s that was/were broken. Remember Wellmer he would have been great for the  team but had a lot of surgery and never recovered to the point that he could play a couple of games. I believe that after a lot of surgery he wound up having a fusion of the  ankle, something that does not allow basketball playing.

2 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

You said right now.   The in person eye test these last two days doesn't agree.   

Long term look back id agree, but you statement did not reflect that.  Multiple Charleston fans told me yesterday they arent happy with Kelsey right now.   

I said coaches are routinely doing more with less. Didn’t say there’s dozens right now, even if there might be.   Its safe to say Pat Kelsey has routinely done more with less than Ford. Maybe he is not doing more with less at this EXACT moment, just doing the same with less. 

7 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I'd trade inside players with Charleston right now.   Overall due to the 4 and 5's comparison this doesn't qualify for the dozens list imo.   Their overall roster is not less than ours

4 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

I’d argue that for it to be a true rebuilding year there has to be a sense of hope for the future. At least when we were getting whacked at Dook under Majerus, you could tell Jordair, McCall, Loe, Evans, etc had a bright future, and they were getting valuable experience.  Does anyone honestly feel like we are headed in the correct direction under Ford?

not trying to constantly come after you, Rich, you’re just one of the few Ford Defense Team brave enough to post after that debacle today, which is respectable. 

We made a tournament and missed our window for making another tournament or two due to covid layoff and the Perkins injury.  This year our starting big is in eligibility limbo and our most talented scorer broke a bone in his foot.  Worst case scenario you redshirt those guys and bring them back next year.

This year was always going to be a rebuilding year.  Next year starts our window for making the tournament.  If we miss our window again, I think that'll be it.  That's basically what happened with Coach Stone.

2 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

No you said dozens.   Take that back and like I said above I don't say a word.  

There are dozens of coaches around the country that are routinely doing more with less than Travis.  Why would I take that back?  I guess we are disagreeing on what qualifies as routinely. 

Here it is in a nutshell, coaches, GMs/ADs build assets over the years based on being successful so that when they have a down year they get a pass based on their good performance in past years.  Ford has not built up assets for him to cash in now.  May is kind in the same place given he hired Ford and he has stood by him through all those Non asset building years.  This is why people are frustrated with our current situation.  The bottom line is that coach who waxed us today has won 7 out of 8 I think they said conference titles.  Talk about building assets!  If Ford  had won just half of that he would have plenty of assets to ride this out.  Today you saw him pick up that trash can and almost pulled a Bobby Knight with it but thought better.  He knows he is on a short leash, and we will see more of his frustration throughout the year if this continues.  Apparently some big donors were ready to cut the check but the administration said no - at least that was insinuated by someone.  I just hope those donors were not turned off by the offer being turned down.  Do you feel comfortable with May making the next pick whenever that time comes?

majerus mojo likes this

3 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Here it is in a nutshell, coaches, GMs/ADs build assets over the years based on being successful so that when they have a down year they get a pass based on their good performance in past years.  Ford has not built up assets for him to cash in now.  May is kind in the same place given he hired Ford and he has stood by him through all those Non asset building years.  This is why people are frustrated with our current situation.  The bottom line is that coach who waxed us today has won 7 out of 8 I think they said conference titles.  Talk about building assets!  If Ford  had won just half of that he would have plenty of assets to ride this out.  Today you saw him pick up that trash can and almost pulled a Bobby Knight with it but thought better.  He knows he is on a short leash, and we will see more of his frustration throughout the year if this continues.  Apparently some big donors were ready to cut the check but the administration said no - at least that was insinuated by someone.  I just hope those donors were not turned off by the offer being turned down.  Do you feel comfortable with May making the next pick whenever that time comes?

Out of reactions, good post. 

I wouldn’t feel comfortable with May picking out my pair of socks for the day. 

19 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Ford Defense Team......lol.......we need t-shirts or something.  This was not a debacle.  SIU-E last year was a debacle.  By the same token, 18 points in a game was a Majerus debacle, and no, I'm never going to stop bringing that up.  College athletics in the NIL era is a work in progress.  I believe Travis can recruit in this environment as well as anyone we've had.  That may not be saying much.  Would I cry if Travis was let go for Chris Mack or whoever is the anti Travis flavor of the month?  Not really.  Would I trade him for the associate head coach of the Las Vegas University Marmots?  No.  

3 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Agree with this.  What you call "assets", I call "goodwill".

I think another nutshell is as follows:

SLU basketball is the revenue driver for the entire program.  Admin must make basketball decisions based on the impact to revenue.  With the unknowns of CF's contract (self-renewing?, buyout amount? who is funding it?), it is almost certain that Admin decided that the best financial decision was to keep CF for this year. 

This decision will be made after each season, so I'm not going to worry about it until then.

One thing is for sure, no one worries about CF leaving on his own accord.

5 minutes ago, Dr Bird said:

Agree with this.  What you call "assets", I call "goodwill".

I think another nutshell is as follows:

SLU basketball is the revenue driver for the entire program.  Admin must make basketball decisions based on the impact to revenue.  With the unknowns of CF's contract (self-renewing?, buyout amount? who is funding it?), it is almost certain that Admin decided that the best financial decision was to keep CF for this year. 

This decision will be made after each season, so I'm not going to worry about it until then.

One thing is for sure, no one worries about CF leaving on his own accord.

That last sentence is important, and a double edged sword. Sure, there’s security of who the head coach will be. However, if you’re a mid-major program and your coach is never a candidate for bigger jobs, that isn’t necessarily a good thing. 

30 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

There are dozens of coaches around the country that are routinely doing more with less than Travis.  Why would I take that back?  I guess we are disagreeing on what qualifies as routinely. 

So rather than admit you made an emotional exaggerated wrong statement you are now going for the spin.   Got it.   You aren't worth debating.

Gibillsgo,  maybe add "over the years" to you wrong statement and I can't challenge it.  Somehow I was not to assume currently.