The BVF Returns - Pay $250 to watch a sub .500 team practice

thetorch

25 minutes ago, Pistol said:

After you register, does it look anything like Xavier's NIL Marketplace?

SLU always is hesitant and behind when it comes to getting the little things right as times change.  Not just with things like exchanges and BVF, but stuff like how they do the rosters on the website.  On Mizzou's athletic website in addition to names, height, hometown and weight are links to the players X and Instagram pages in addition to what appears to be a link to the player's cash app that hasn't been activated yet. At least it didn't work for me when I tried it from both my desktop and my phone to see if that was what it is.

https://mutigers.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster

Edit:

Went back and clicked a different name.  It is an opendorse link for the player.

https://opendorse.com/profile/tamar-bates

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, Pistol said:

After you register, does it look anything like Xavier's NIL Marketplace?

Does it look like this from SIU-Carbondale? https://opendorse.com/siu-salukis

or Missouri State?  https://opendorse.com/mostate-bears

or Arkansas-Little Rock from the OVC?  https://opendorse.com/littlerock-trojans

just wondering 

7 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

Does it look like this from SIU-Carbondale? https://opendorse.com/siu-salukis

or Missouri State?  https://opendorse.com/mostate-bears

or Arkansas-Little Rock from the OVC?  https://opendorse.com/littlerock-trojans

just wondering 

Well with Mizzou you only need to go to the roster to click a link to a player's opendorse page.

I think my next donation will be to the BVF rather than the Billiken Club.   If you look at the Billiken Club online brochure from our website it has last year’s info.   The first SLU athlete featured on the site is Ciaja Harbison, who transferred to Vanderbilt after the 2021-22 season.   Good grief.  

majerus mojo likes this

49 minutes ago, OkieBilliken said:

I think my next donation will be to the BVF rather than the Billiken Club.   If you look at the Billiken Club online brochure from our website it has last year’s info.   The first SLU athlete featured on the site is Ciaja Harbison, who transferred to Vanderbilt after the 2021-22 season.   Good grief.  

-I guess they miss Margo, she was great

willie likes this

54 minutes ago, OkieBilliken said:

-that's an upgrade to the Slunatics page which lists the officers from 2020-21

-who is in charge of this?!

3 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Top 100 high school players aren't being overlooked by anybody.  They are receiving multiple high major offers just like they always have.  Either you have a minimum of 25K to gamble on one or you don't.  50K if you believe this prediction:

https://www.cbs17.com/sports/nil-expert-predicts-50000-minimum-pay-for-power-5-players/

The market has softened though. The competition for high school recruits outside of the surefire stars is lesser now that some high major programs are focusing so heavily on the transfer market. Sure top 100 kids are still going to have their list/choice of suitors, but it’s not going to be as large as it was a few years back. Mizzou landed a stud from Arkansas and Arkansas fans weren’t sure whether they were truly pursuing him, not often top hoopers leave that state.

Pistol likes this

4 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

The market has softened though. The competition for high school recruits outside of the surefire stars is lesser now that some high major programs are focusing so heavily on the transfer market. Sure top 100 kids are still going to have their list/choice of suitors, but it’s not going to be as large as it was a few years back. Mizzou landed a stud from Arkansas and Arkansas fans weren’t sure whether they were truly pursuing him, not often top hoopers leave that state.

Arkansas's only two commits in the 2024 class are high school players.  Both are top 75ish recruits from out of state.  Boateng is an even higher rated recruit but has chosen to leave the state.  It's the second straight year this has happened.

That doesn't seem like a softening of the market for blue chip high school recruits.  It looks a lot more like prospective one-and-doners wanting a bigger payday or to be showcased for a year.

Event good. Biggest problem is not more events and structured ways to give. Where's the tiered "membership" structure where supporters get perks?

Those complaining about the amounts: this is literally a supporting group. The point is to raise money, not provide value.

You want value for your purchase? Head over the grocery store. What do you think this is?

Bringing in players costs money now. Rather we did more of this than had pointless on campus amenities players don't need(McLaughlin boondoggle center)

Players want and need cash, not private chefs and massages. This is professional sports.

JMM28 likes this

22 hours ago, thetorch said:

They've done the same event for free for 30-40 years. Now only a select few get to pay $250 for said event.  There is no misunderstanding, this is stupid.

I renewed my season tickets, i made my billiken club contribution. I would have much rather given my billiken club funds to BVF instead through this event or something else but when you get 4 days notice you can't do both. If BVF had been actively working the past few they would have my money. 

So if they meet your criteria for running the BVF you would donate? Until then you're going to rip the program every chance you get. Sounds helpful.

17 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

I would absolutely love to do this. I have brought up the idea of wanting to do a live pod since the I started with THTRB. Humphrey's stage would be perfect. 

When you spoke to the BVF about helping out what did they say? 

40 minutes ago, DOC said:

When you spoke to the BVF about helping out what did they say? 

I reached out to Troy about coming on the show as soon as the BVF was established. I followed up probably 3 times and he asked to wait until things were set up. I indicated it was an open invitation. I don't have the best memory but I'm sure I also mentioned it in person at Billikens games every time I saw him as well. Haven't really heard anything since. 

I didn't want to say anything unless asked, because I didn't want it to come off as though I was upset because he wouldn't come on my show. I was bummed because I wanted to give the BVF a place to speak directly to hardcore Billiken fans. 

7 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

I reached out to Troy about coming on the show as soon as the BVF was established. I followed up probably 3 times and he asked to wait until things were set up. I indicated it was an open invitation. I don't have the best memory but I'm sure I also mentioned it in person at Billikens games every time I saw him as well. Haven't really heard anything since. 

I didn't want to say anything unless asked, because I didn't want it to come off as though I was upset because he wouldn't come on my show. I was bummed because I wanted to give the BVF a place to speak directly to hardcore Billiken fans. 

I don't want to give Troy or anyone else operating the BVF right now a hard time for what they are doing personally with BVF.  The way BVF seems to be set up currently is that they are all doing this on a volunteer basis.  Things may have changed and that could be incorrect, but that was the impression I got months ago when BVF was preparing to launch and then did launch.  The guys running it have got to take care of their real job and their family first before you then put time into BVF.  They only have so much time that they can put into it.

At least to me, the problem seems to be the belief that operating BVF as volunteer thing is acceptable to the people running the AD and the biggest donors funding the basketball program.  It needs to be run like a real business and needs start up funding so it can be staffed and operated like a business.  

If some big donors are hesitant because they are unhappy with Ford (hell I'm unhappy with Ford), they need to get over it because this thing is bigger than Ford.  The clock is ticking and we needed a real operating collective months ago if any of SLU's athletic programs are going to have any chance of staying relevant in anyway nationally.  Having a properly operated collective will be the most important thing whenever the time comes to hire a replacement for Ford.

13 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Arkansas's only two commits in the 2024 class are high school players.  Both are top 75ish recruits from out of state.  Boateng is an even higher rated recruit but has chosen to leave the state.  It's the second straight year this has happened.

That doesn't seem like a softening of the market for blue chip high school recruits.  It looks a lot more like prospective one-and-doners wanting a bigger payday or to be showcased for a year.

Ok. I am not even sure what we are arguing at this point. When we are being told the cost for a transfer is greater than that of a high school recruit and when we see major and high major programs adding transfers to the degree that they are (in the Arkansas example, they appear to have added Tramon Mark, Jeremiah Davenport, Keyon Menifield, Chandler Lawson, El Ellis, Khalif Battle, and Denijay Harris from the transfer portal this spring), it would seem like saying that the market for high school prospects is softer would be the logical conclusion. Maybe I should not have gone as high as top 50, but my point was that there is a point where prep prospects who likely would have been being pursued and targeted by high major programs likely are not due to those programs allocating scholarships for and adding transfers instead. I suppose agree to disagree.

29 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Ok. I am not even sure what we are arguing at this point. When we are being told the cost for a transfer is greater than that of a high school recruit and when we see major and high major programs adding transfers to the degree that they are (in the Arkansas example, they appear to have added Tramon Mark, Jeremiah Davenport, Keyon Menifield, Chandler Lawson, El Ellis, Khalif Battle, and Denijay Harris from the transfer portal this spring), it would seem like saying that the market for high school prospects is softer would be the logical conclusion. Maybe I should not have gone as high as top 50, but my point was that there is a point where prep prospects who likely would have been being pursued and targeted by high major programs likely are not due to those programs allocating scholarships for and adding transfers instead. I suppose agree to disagree.

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear but the bolded was my major point of contention.  Just because transfers have become the priority doesn't all of a sudden put us in contention for top 50 players.  Those guys still have more high major offers than they know what to do with.  It just means that top 150 players who used to slip into high major rosters in the spring aren't getting those offers anymore.

47 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear but the bolded was my major point of contention.  Just because transfers have become the priority doesn't all of a sudden put us in contention for top 50 players.  Those guys still have more high major offers than they know what to do with.  It just means that top 150 players who used to slip into high major rosters in the spring aren't getting those offers anymore.

I gotcha, that is fair and I think we essentially agree. I didn't know where to place my arbitrary rating hahaha. It is just such an interesting time with NIL and the transfer portal changing the landscape. Coaches really need to be on point in their evaluations.

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

At least to me, to me the problem seems to be the belief that operating BVF as volunteer thing is acceptable to the people running the AD and the biggest donors funding the basketball program.  It needs to be run like a real business and needs start up funding so it can be staffed and operated like a business.  

I would assume (hope) that SLU athletics and/or the basketball staff has lent support to the effort in terms of some of the grunt work - graphics, invites, events, etc. The hard part with having a full time person is that you're not drawing off a pool of millions of dollars. Is it worth paying someone $60,000 or $80,000 a year and have that come off your available NIL funds? The legalities and NCAA rules are fuzzy and ever changing so it is hard for SLU to commit a staffer to it as well. I am not sure what the right answer is at this point. 

brianstl likes this

45 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Haley Cavinder is in the transfer portal. Somebody get Tillett and the BVF together....

Thought she was trying the WWE thing? Maybe Tillett having the team train with the Marines and putting on boxing gloves can help with that? Otherwise, make sure you have the bag to go after someone who Forbes estimated had $1.7 mil in NIL deals.