Schedule

9 hours ago, JMM28 said:

Eh. It’s a bad sign that it isn’t done yet. Can’t imagine it’s “just one game to finish” but several. 

I’m not concerned about which final directional school we play and on what date. 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So can anybody tell me why we can't get a weekend game versus Loyola? Is it scheduling conflicts or something? Just doesn't make sense to me. 

They had a weekend game at our place last year. Feel like we should get something. What was the point of them joining the conference and all this talk about being able to make trips to Chicago if they're going to play us on a Tuesday every year.

Duequesne, Davidson, George Mason, Dayton, la salle all get Friday/ Saturday/ Sunday games in Chicago. Last year George Mason, George Washington, and Dayton all got weekend games. Sounds like our little program just don't have enough pull. The STL Chicago rivalry is dead. When they first joined I thought for sure we'd be getting consistent weekend slots. If you can't tell this really bothers me. Have a lot of people in my circle who would like to go to a Loyola/bills game in Chicago. Maybe one day before I die. 

1 minute ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

So can anybody tell me why we can't get a weekend game versus Loyola? Is it scheduling conflicts or something? Just doesn't make sense to me. 

Many have speculated that the scheduling of the games with shorter distances on weeknights decreases the burden of long travel to play one game mid week.

billiken_roy and willie like this

24 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Many have speculated that the scheduling of the games with shorter distances on weeknights decreases the burden of long travel to play one game mid week.

This is probably the reason. But it doesn't really hold with no teams being within a short drive time. Loyola and Dayton are on the longer end of what you would want to bus to in general. Putting them on weeknights is actually worse if you are bussing there versus flying everywhere else. The team is getting to their spots a day before the game. Leaving Tuesday midday for a Wednesday evening game. So how is a 6 hour bus ride any better than a 4 hour commercial travel day? If it is a charter - even less time. If it is Olean, well fock off.

I'd have to go back through the years, but it doesn't feel like there are consistently those Philly, Richmond, or DC type swings where the team is staying in the northeast for a few days to knock out 2 road games. Maybe one a year? 

The other reason - and I don't think this applies this year - is that weekend games tend to draw better by virtue of them being on a Saturday. SLU traveling to Loyola or Dayton should hypothetically be a better 'rivalry' draw on a weeknight than Fordham going to Dayton, for example. 

2 minutes ago, longtimelistenerfirsttimec said:

this team charters everywhere they go i will be in chicago if you want to go take a day off call in sick this has nothing to with how much pull we have

You're correct, partially. Of course teams do not necessarily have say in conference scheduling. I hear you on taking a day off, I just wonder what the trade off would be re: TV  revenue scheduling it for national TV vs the stadium revenue increasing traveling fan attendance. To me I think you have to take the hit and play it on Friday or Saturday, build your conference rivalries, especially in the second year of a downward trajectory among national competition.

34 minutes ago, longtimelistenerfirsttimec said:

this team charters everywhere they go i will be in chicago if you want to go take a day off call in sick this has nothing to with how much pull we have

Thanks for the helpful info. It's not about taking off it's about not wanting to be there on a Tuesday night. And I think Dayton getting weekend games both years kinda proves your thought process wrong. It may not have everything to do with it but it certainly has some impact. 

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

I’m sure this is the justification they will go with, but I just laugh at the notion of these conferences or the NCAA making decisions for the betterment of the student athlete.  It’s just farcical at this point.  

Lord Elrond likes this

15 minutes ago, laker119 said:

I’m sure this is the justification they will go with, but I just laugh at the notion of these conferences or the NCAA making decisions for the betterment of the student athlete.  It’s just farcical at this point.  

I'd be fine if they just said: putting together a schedule that will please all schools is impossible. We looked at options to give these games weekend dates, but could not find a way to give both teams weekend home games. In the spirit of competition balance we decided it best to play these during the week.

These days with all the violence and idiocy the major cities are routinely exhibiting, I want nothing to do with being in the likes of Chicago over a weekend.   

MB73 likes this

Chicago in the winter is actually great. If the A10 would pull its head out of its a55 they would schedule every SLU Loyola game Fri-Sun.  Hotels are cheap in the winter and there are still a decent amount of outdoor activities to be enjoyed (cocktails and curling at The Gwen for example). Also doesn't matter how cold it is outside as the bars are always nice and toasty on the inside.

Took the oldest daughter to Ed Sheeran at Soldier Field towards the end of July. My wife and 3 other kids came as well. We walked, with thousands of other people, over 10 miles in 2.5 days. From Streeterville to River North, Gold Coast to Maggie Daley Park. Enjoyed great food, parks, museums (the kids loved the slime factory), and weather. Never felt unsafe for even a second. But stories like that don't generate clicks now do they?

33 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

These days with all the violence and idiocy the major cities are routinely exhibiting, I want nothing to do with being in the likes of Chicago over a weekend.   

I was there a month ago.  Tons of people out shopping, dining, enjoying the lakefront, etc.  The city was vibrant and felt safe.  I'm not sure why Fox News has such a hard-on for Chicago, but it's still a great place to visit.

20 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

I was there a month ago.  Tons of people out shopping, dining, enjoying the lakefront, etc.  The city was vibrant and felt safe.  I'm not sure why Fox News has such a hard-on for Chicago, but it's still a great place to visit.

oh i have had some wonderful stays in Chicago over the years as well as some other big cities like New York or San Francisco.    But this year, over 50 per month killed in chicago.   and that's down from last year!  businesses and stores are closing in other big cities as well.   no thanks.   I'll watch on TV.  

MB73 likes this

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

With this logic, you shouldn’t come to Chaifetz for any games this year either.

Just now, laker119 said:

With this logic, you shouldn’t come to Chaifetz for any games this year either.

the st louis campus doesnt have 20 murders a week.   i like my odds a lot better at Chaifetz.

1 hour ago, Box and Won said:

Exactly! I was there just last month. Very vibrant.  A "news" network with such a  ridiculous agenda to scare their audience - sadly it works for their business, but it contributes to a dumber society.

Lord Elrond likes this

I’ll be going to the game at Loyola regardless, because SLU only plays close to home so often, but it is a huge letdown that the game is on a weeknight. Regardless of how either program projects to be, those games should be on a weekend. Let’s face it, we don’t have many actual rivals in this conference, largely due to geography. Getting these games on the weekend could help us actually grow one with Loyola. 

41 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

the st louis campus doesnt have 20 murders a week.   i like my odds a lot better at Chaifetz.

Neither does Loyola's campus which is considerably north of where the vast majority of murders take place in Chicago. I guess there is always the very real possibility you could get shot while driving to the game! In fact, you are a lot closer to the murder hot spots of STL while sitting in your seat at Chaifetz than you would be Chicago's while sitting in the BLERRRRs cute little gym. I guess what I'm trying to say, Roy, is get your butt up to Chicago this season for the game.

1 hour ago, Box and Won said:

They are wrong about how Chicago is and feels, it is and it feels much safer than St. Louis.  They are 100% correct about San Francisco.  

Box and Won likes this