Myrtle Beach Invitational

Just back from an off-season trip to the beach.  Weather was fantastic.  Restaurants not crowded.  Kids back at school (mostly).  

Went out to Coastal Carolina University for some G2 on the MBI.  Ended up buying the total tournament package for the advertised $160 per seat.  This is for the baseline-to-baseline seats on either side of the court.  All seating will be general admission with no assigned seats.  The side opposite the benches goes up about 11 rows; the bench side appeared higher but was rolled back as accordion seats usually are.  CCU basketball was practicing at the time we were there.  

According to the ticket office, single sessions seats won't likely be released until the week before the games.  Single session seats ran last year from $50 to $75.  So if you were buying two cheap seats (as I would have) that would have been $100 per three Billiken sessions.  My two total package seats ran me $328 with the tax (only $8 bucks --- refreshing considering what Ticketmaster does to folks!).  I'll see if I can make some scalp sales on the ones I don't want to use.  

The ticket office did warn me that the cheapest seats, those along the baselines behind the baskets, do NOT have seat backs.  Bleacher seats, bench-style.  All others have seat backs.  The HTC Recreation and Convocation Center sells food but no alcohol.  It seats 3,600 for basketball.  The football stadium has teal-blue turf.  

Coastal is out about 15 miles from downtown Myrtle Beach in Conway, SC.  Took about 30 minutes to get there.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, OkieBilliken said:

For those of you who have purchased tournament passes, they were emailed out today.    Not sure why, but I am irrationally excited about this.  

im excited to hang out with fellow mbm's many of which i have never met.   for example, OkieBilliken.   always a dream to get to know Okie.  😁

OkieBilliken likes this

• 3 weeks later...

Looked at Coastal website... 

On November 6th will be able to purchase Session tickets . Doesn't list price

15 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Just read an article in the local paper COFC Sold out season tickets for the year. Expect they will have a sizable fan count there. SLU doesn’t travel well ala Dayton. You can bet if the Flyers were playing you’d have near a 1000 there. 

well we know we will have at least 5 at the tourney.

2 hours ago, slu72 said:

Just read an article in the local paper COFC Sold out season tickets for the year. Expect they will have a sizable fan count there. SLU doesn’t travel well ala Dayton. You can bet if the Flyers were playing you’d have near a 1000 there. 

SLU doesn’t even travel well to the Fetz.

1 hour ago, Cowboy II said:

-how big of an achievement is this?

Pretty big. It can take a long time - decades? - to build the kind of support SLU gets. SLU's attendance outperforms schools in bigger metros (Loyola, Fordham, LaSalle, St. Joseph, GW, George Mason), schools with bigger enrollments (UMass, URI, GW, GMU, Fordham, Loyola), schools with more recent NCAA appearances (Loyola, Davidson, Bonnies), or schools with recent exceptional performance and feelgood national media attention (Loyola).

It's a testament to all of us - the fans, but also the team/school for building those connections with alumni and the local community.

1 minute ago, Compton said:

Pretty big. It can take a long time - decades? - to build the kind of support SLU gets. SLU's attendance outperforms schools in bigger metros (Loyola, Fordham, LaSalle, St. Joseph, GW, George Mason), schools with bigger enrollments (UMass, URI, GW, GMU, Fordham, Loyola), schools with more recent NCAA appearances (Loyola, Davidson, Bonnies), or schools with recent exceptional performance and feelgood national media attention (Loyola).

It's a testament to all of us - the fans, but also the team/school for building those connections with alumni and the local community.

that and free ticket giveaways.

16 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

that and free ticket giveaways.

Free ticket giveaways are part building connections and participation with students/alumni/and locals. I'd think it's a pretty standard practice by most A10 schools . Maybe somewhat less-so Dayton and VCU, but they probably give away and/or donate tickets in some instances.

32 minutes ago, longtimelistenerfirsttimec said:

so your point is that dayton has better sports fans no other teams to compete with or once you had your steak at the pineclub (great by the way)there is nothing else to do the two seats i pay for are always filled that is all i can do

This reads like an e e Cummings poem.

SLU_Lax, JMM28 and Dr Bird like this

1 hour ago, Compton said:

Umass and Rhody are really the only comps that are similar in that there's not another D1 school and an NBA team. 

3 hours ago, Compton said:

SLU is perennially among the top teams in the A10 for attendance. Although Dayton definitely has the top spot locked up.

Raw numbers, sure. But we have the second or third largest arena in the league by seats, and are in a major metro area with access to 2 million people. A more fair comparison would be % of seats filled. Last year we averaged 6,694 fans per game, which equates to 63% of what Chaifetz can hold. Sure, we put up good raw attendance numbers, but our fanbase is far from rabid, and Chaifetz feels like a morgue for a lot of games. 

48 minutes ago, johnbj14 said:

Raw numbers, sure. But we have the second or third largest arena in the league by seats, and are in a major metro area with access to 2 million people. A more fair comparison would be % of seats filled. Last year we averaged 6,694 fans per game, which equates to 63% of what Chaifetz can hold. Sure, we put up good raw attendance numbers, but our fanbase is far from rabid, and Chaifetz feels like a morgue for a lot of games. 

In that case, if we just move games into the West Pine gym we'll really be succeeding.

3 hours ago, longtimelistenerfirsttimec said:

every sports team reports tickets sold you think every seat at dayton arena is filled every game?

Teams/arenas do it different. Some places report tickets sold/printed. Some places report the drop number/tickets redeemed at the gate.