SLU Track

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It appears in February 2006 it was decided to add track and drop golf.  The reason was supposedly to help the cross country program and initially was only distance runners. It caused a little bit of stir with the recently resigned golf coach making a post about it on here.

https://www.billikens.com/forum/index.php?/topic/6396-sport-realignment/

1 hour ago, Lord Elrond said:

I’ve always wondered why SLU doesn’t have men and women’s golf teams, seems right to be appropriate for SLU

Golf is dumb for a small AD like SLU. They were right to drop it. If SLU is in the market to make big changes, the move would be dropping field hockey for women’s lacrosse. It’s essentially the same sport financially but they can host on campus. 

my memory was it was cheryl levick who was the mastermind behind drop golf and start "track" using the cross country team for both sports.   it was a way to have the minimum number of sports needed to be D1 and yet reduce total expenses.   in hindsight it has developed into a good move imo if all the school was interested in was again saving expense money.   what a fabulous BoT!

9 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Golf is dumb for a small AD like SLU. They were right to drop it. If SLU is in the market to make big changes, the move would be dropping field hockey for women’s lacrosse. It’s essentially the same sport financially but they can host on campus. 

Lacrosse is a great spectator sport. They would get fans in the stands.

10 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

If I remember correctly the golf team was fairly successful. When they killed it there were a couple of Irish golfers on the team. The school caught some flack from the St Louis golf community. It certainly had a higher profile than track and field. 

8 hours ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

I was advocating you point to some folks a few weeks ago and they looked at me sideways. 😂

To be clear, I would feel terrible for field hockey. But like, at the end of the day, if we're going to be bare competitive at a sport lets not have to rent out practice and game fields upto 30 minutes away from campus. Sh!t who knows, if you have a sport based on campus, maybe you get more support for it from students and fans.

6 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

To be clear, I would feel terrible for field hockey. But like, at the end of the day, if we're going to be bare competitive at a sport lets not have to rent out practice and game fields upto 30 minutes away from campus. Sh!t who knows, if you have a sport based on campus, maybe you get more support for it from students and fans.

Plus, isn't the FH program usually toward the bottom compared to the costal schools? I would also feel bad.

1 minute ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

Plus, isn't the FH program usually toward the bottom compared to the costal schools? I would also feel bad.

Yes, field hockey at SLU is not very good comparatively but St Louis is a really good FH city for being in the Midwest. And that's the thing, it's a good bet that even if you switch the lacrosse you're going to run into the exact same issue being a Midwest school in an east coast sport. The biggest difference is being able to play on campus.

• 11 months later...

Has anyone seen the Jackson Cantwell kid from Nixa compete in track and field? He is putting up some incredible numbers and as just a sophomore he might challenge a record that many viewed as unbreakable, Michael Carter going over 80 feet back in 1979 (Ryan Crouser was more than 4 feet behind that with his best being over 77 feet). Cantwell recently broke the sophomore record throwing over 74 feet which put him in the top 10 of the all-time list. I work with a few guys who are really into track and field, so they have been marveling over his results since last spring.

billikenbill and brianstl like this

6 hours ago, Pistol said:

SLU has the first women's track and field national qualifier in program history: 

She'll be throwing in the NCAA Championships in Eugene on June 6th.

Really hope she’ll nail down a podium finish.

5 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

Has anyone seen the Jackson Cantwell kid from Nixa compete in track and field? He is putting up some incredible numbers and as just a sophomore he might challenge a record that many viewed as unbreakable, Michael Carter going over 80 feet back in 1979 (Ryan Crouser was more than 4 feet behind that with his best being over 77 feet). Cantwell recently broke the sophomore record throwing over 74 feet which put him in the top 10 of the all-time list. I work with a few guys who are really into track and field, so they have been marveling over his results since last spring.

Looked up Mr. Cantwell. Already 6’7, 300 lbs, and being recruited for football by ‘Bama, LSU, Fla. and Fl. State. 
He just might hit 80’ before he’s through.

TheChosenOne likes this

11 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

His parents are both Olympian throwers, Christian Cantwell and Terri Steer-Cantwell so the genetics and training are VERY strong with him.  He’ll pick a school where he can play football and do track. His mom grew up in a small town outside Lincoln, NE.  But there are a lot of schools in the mix for him.

TheChosenOne likes this

5 hours ago, TRN said:

His parents are both Olympian throwers, Christian Cantwell and Terri Steer-Cantwell so the genetics and training are VERY strong with him.  He’ll pick a school where he can play football and do track. His mom grew up in a small town outside Lincoln, NE.  But there are a lot of schools in the mix for him.

Great genetics no doubt! And doing a quick search, I see he scored a 33 on his ACT before entering high school!

5 hours ago, TRN said:

His dad is a Mizzou grad and HOF member.  I remember Frank doing features on the guy in the lead up to the Olympics in China. Dude was a monster of a man.

So this academic year SLU won conference championships in Women's Soccer and Baseball, and made postseason appearances in Women's Soccer, Men's Tennis, Women's Basketball and now Track and Field.   Considering all the suffering we went through, not bad at all.    Next year is going to be really fun.   Women's Soccer should be elite.  I'm confident Kalish will have a great year with the men's team and I'm as excited about this upcoming basketball season as any since the best Goodwin/French team.   Party at my house for the Jacksonville Classic!!  

2 hours ago, OkieBilliken said:

So this academic year SLU won conference championships in Women's Soccer and Baseball, and made postseason appearances in Women's Soccer, Men's Tennis, Women's Basketball and now Track and Field.   Considering all the suffering we went through, not bad at all.    Next year is going to be really fun.   Women's Soccer should be elite.  I'm confident Kalish will have a great year with the men's team and I'm as excited about this upcoming basketball season as any since the best Goodwin/French team.   Party at my house for the Jacksonville Classic!!  

Are you speculating about the Jacksonville Classic or do you have some inside info? What time should we be at your house?

1 hour ago, willie said:

Are you speculating about the Jacksonville Classic or do you have some inside info? What time should we be at your house?

I think that JS mentioned that to Stu.  West Pine Bills I believe also had that on X.  Party date/time in Jax TBA 

3 hours ago, OkieBilliken said:

I think that JS mentioned that to Stu.  West Pine Bills I believe also had that on X.  Party date/time in Jax TBA 

I don’t know what tourney we are in. The 2023 Jacksonville Classic was two 4 team brackets with one initial cross over game. 
First round of cross over games were on campus. 

Bracket 1 was George Mason, Charlotte, SD State and UCF

Bracket 2 was Utah Valley, Cornell, Cal State Fullerton and  S Mississippi. 

https://www.jacksonvilleclassic.com/    (for 2023)

This doesn’t read like a major tourney, at least not last season.   Schertz, on an interview, said there would be multiple P5 teams in the tourney.

9 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

I don’t know what tourney we are in. The 2023 Jacksonville Classic was two 4 team brackets with one initial cross over game. 
First round of cross over games were on campus. 

Bracket 1 was George Mason, Charlotte, SD State and UCF

Bracket 2 was Utah Valley, Cornell, Cal State Fullerton and  S Mississippi. 

https://www.jacksonvilleclassic.com/    (for 2023)

This doesn’t read like a major tourney, at least not last season.   Schertz, on an interview, said there would be multiple P5 teams in the tourney.

This is where I got the info.   

On 5/25/2024 at 5:48 AM, OkieBilliken said:

This is where I got the info.   

Interesting.  I have no reason to doubt this information.  If true, let's hope they have reformated the MTE to one eight team bracket and have some P5 schools lined up.  Schertz is looking for resume builders, and last season's version wouldn't have qualified for that.

I bookmark this MTE tracker, and they don't have any listings to date for Jacksonville. They show SLU as "Not Yet Attached".  There is still a bunch of P5 schools Not Yet Attached.  (Got to get used to the shuffle of conference schools that starts July 1.)

https://www.bloggingthebracket.com/2024/5/13/24140186/2024-25-mens-college-basketball-exempt-multi-team-events-mte-thanksgiving-early-season-tournaments

I also bookmark this google doc on schedules.  It doesn't have the MTE listed, but it does have Utah State for the Bills.  I was under the impression that game was not on the schedule. Maybe it is.

https://d1docket.blogspot.com/p/2024-25-dockets-east-coast-leagues.html

OkieBilliken likes this